Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Octagon....ala Pope (Read 7794 times)
SBoomer
Oldtimer

Octagon....ala Pope
Apr 16th, 2017 at 3:16pm
Print Post  
I made some chips on the old girl the last couple of days. I find great pleasure in doing things old school. All flats were milled off the compound swiveled to split the taper. Slow going and lots of tramming setups, but the barrel really turned out well. Flats are sized, parallel to the bore and each other within .003" worst case. I drawfiled and polished one flat to see just how purty it will finish up. Sun is coming out and life is good. Happy Easter to all!
« Last Edit: Apr 16th, 2017 at 3:25pm by SBoomer »  

IP Logged

shovel80
Oldtimer

Re: Octagon....ala Pope
Reply #1 - Apr 16th, 2017 at 4:57pm
Print Post  
Interesting way to do the flats...Great Ingenuity!
Looks like it turned out Great also...
Must have pretty decent travel in the cross slide.

Terry Smiley

ASSRA Member # 11021
IP Logged

Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Apr 16th, 2017 at 10:40pm
Print Post  
Beautiful machine work. Beautiful old machine.
My hat is off to you. Could not do better with more modern machines, maybe a little faster but not better.
Chuck

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Apr 17th, 2017 at 1:03am
Print Post  
Am I the only viewer who has two photos of a bunch of .28-30 cases and one photo of a die set for same accompanying this post?

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

chawk

Reply #4 - Apr 17th, 2017 at 7:30am
Print Post  
I do not have any of those pictures.  Interesting...

IP Logged

Deadeye Bly
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Apr 17th, 2017 at 8:27am
Print Post  
That had to take a while. It's very ingenious, you do what you have to do with what you have. Good work!

Is that an old South Bend 10"?

IP Logged

SBoomer
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - Apr 17th, 2017 at 8:55am
Print Post  
It is a 1929 South Bend 13". 

I spent most of my working career as a Mfg Engineer surrounded by CNC equipment conducive to blazing speed and high accuracy. It is refreshing to me to step back and slow things down a bit. Yes, it took me a full day to actually cut the octagon. Counting night time worry and brainstorms, it could easily stretch to two or more days. Ninety percent of the time at the lathe was spent in tramming the setups. Working with a double taper on every cut was a good brain exercise Wink. I caught myself setting up incorrectly twice. I had part of the taper reversed. I have often wished that I could be present in the shops of some of the great old barrelmakers.

IP Logged

Hayface

Reply #7 - Apr 17th, 2017 at 9:32am
Print Post  
SBoomer,

Darn nice work!  Even better, considering that it was done the hard way and with excellent results.   

"Counting night time worry and brainstorms, it could easily stretch to two or more days. Ninety percent of the time at the lathe was spent in tramming the setups."

I wish I had dollar for every time a customer with no idea of what it takes to machine things accurately said, "All you gotta do is......."

That's really nice looking work from a really nice looking old lathe.  I applaud your skill and determination.

Hayface

IP Logged

SBoomer
Oldtimer

Reply #8 - Apr 17th, 2017 at 10:08am
Print Post  
Thanx for all the nice comments. In hindsight, I'll probably never "flat" another pre-tapered barrel again. Starting with a cylindrical blank is night and day easier. I sure wish that there were enough stock to turn a nice wedding band transition, but I will probably just re-taper to meet the octagon as were the factory Stevens. This is going to be one heavy barrelled 'Bee when finished!

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #9 - Apr 17th, 2017 at 11:10am
Print Post  
Gorgeous work! 
You could turn a wedding band separately and then heat it and place it against the octagon section. Seen it done by some great gunsmiths and looks like it's turned on the barrel.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Apr 17th, 2017 at 11:38am
Print Post  
Well, I'd like to see this project, but my screen shows rows of .28-30 brass and another photo of a set of dies for same. This from a thread earlier.
I wanted to see Mike's machine shop assembled after coming in on pack mules and pony express. Smiley
All the other threads having photos seem to be working just fine. What is going on with this, do ya suppose.

IP Logged

SBoomer
Oldtimer

Reply #11 - Apr 17th, 2017 at 12:24pm
Print Post  
Calledflyer, 
send me a PM with your email and Ill shoot some pics your way.

IP Logged

SBoomer
Oldtimer

Reply #12 - Apr 17th, 2017 at 12:32pm
Print Post  
Marlinguy,
Thats a great idea for the band. That will let me safely experiment with a silver inlay as well. I want to do a couple circumferential silver bands on the wedding band. I started playing with this a while back. I undercut a small dovetailed groove in some barstock and then peened in some 3/32" silver solder. The technique needs more work but it looked pretty nice.

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Apr 17th, 2017 at 4:18pm
Print Post  
Got the photos, and want to thank you for going to the extra trouble to let me get a peek.
Looks like a really nice machine being used to do some nice work. I have tried using a mill a friend owns- but it's artwork more than machinist skills since it all looks freehand when I'm done. Embarrassed
Looks like you've done this before, and it shows. 
Thanks again, and now you can get back to doing whatever you were before I interupted.

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Apr 19th, 2017 at 7:51am
Print Post  
SBoomer wrote on Apr 17th, 2017 at 10:08am:
Thanx for all the nice comments. In hindsight, I'll probably never "flat" another pre-tapered barrel again. Starting with a cylindrical blank is night and day easier.

Would you end up with a non-tapered barrel or would you machine the taper when starting with a cylindrical barrel?

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint