Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Stuck cartridges (Read 8188 times)
jfeldman
ASSRA Board Member

Re: Stuck cartridges
Reply #15 - Apr 4th, 2017 at 4:13pm
Print Post  
You might color an empty case with a black magic marker, chamber and knock it out to see where it's tight.

Regards, Joe

IP Logged

ledball
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Apr 4th, 2017 at 4:46pm
Print Post  
The 32/40 case extracts very ease about as good as it gets, I suspect something wrong with the chamber.  Ledball

IP Logged

jy3855
Senior Forum Member

Reply #17 - Apr 4th, 2017 at 4:51pm
Print Post  
calledflyer wrote on Apr 4th, 2017 at 2:02pm:

Don't bother to stick a .30-30 in there and expect to learn anything. That case has a different shape ahead of the base that will stop in no time.

Oops! Quite true, there. Brain holiday on my part - sorry!

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Apr 4th, 2017 at 5:31pm
Print Post  
jy3855, my brain goes on holiday pretty often- probably how I managed to learn that bit of "wisdom" myself. 
The magic marker is a good and simple test to find the spot, or spots, that are the cause of sticking.

IP Logged

Trigger Happy
Participating Member

Reply #19 - Apr 5th, 2017 at 12:16am
Print Post  
Did some of my homework assignments. You guys are brutal. The shell can be inserted fully by hand and will extract. But after I work the action, the shell is stuck. Since I'm at the bench I'm not going to insert a new loaded cartridge in the chamber. The ink on the shell shows a slight scratch, which looks worse after several dowel removals. The spent primer may have suffered from my original whacks with the brass cleaning rod, which I quit using after the handle bent. I'm 99% sure the experts in the Schuetzen club will analyze the problem in short order. If it doesn't rain tomorrow. It was because of my impatience that I bought the gun and wanted to shoot it right away. It was suggested to me to wait to try it at the club meet before purchase. And they don't use loaded ammo. They seat bullets then follow with shell. But I asked if the gun was safe to shoot with new ammo. And my one shot was a satisfied bullseye. I'm not as far as any equipment: shell holder, sizing dies, etc. This is all new to me. I had to retire 2 months ago to start having fun in life.

IP Logged

Trigger Happy
Participating Member

Reply #20 - Apr 5th, 2017 at 12:18am
Print Post  
Same shell in chamber

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - Apr 5th, 2017 at 1:02am
Print Post  
The view of the case hand seated in the chamber doesn't appear to be "all" the way in by several thousandths which closing the block will accomplish easily and therein may lie the problem. It only takes a bit of oversize on the solid head relative to the chamber to jam the case.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Apr 5th, 2017 at 1:23am
Print Post  
A chamber cast would be in order here.  

I've had this exact problem with a Lovell R2, in a Krag action.  The smith who built the rifle cut the chamber .003" undersized at the base.  None of my single shots would have accepted a standard size shell in that circumstance, but the Krag happily cammed it in.  I have resized 50 cases specifically for that rifle by cramming them into a special .312 die, all the way to the base.   

Never, never use a wooden rod to drive anything out of a rifle bore.  Ask any gunsmith.   Steel only. 

<div class=

IP Logged

Trigger Happy
Participating Member

Reply #23 - Apr 5th, 2017 at 1:56am
Print Post  
After bending the handle of my favorite brass cleaning rod trying to push out the stuck case, I thought a wood dowel sanded down for a smooth fit would be the least intrusive method. Steel eh?

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - Apr 5th, 2017 at 7:00am
Print Post  
Never, never use a wooden rod to drive anything out of a rifle bore.  Ask any gunsmith.   Steel only. 

While my question will surely expose me as a grossly ignorant non-shooter, assuming they're both clean, why would a wooden rod potentially do more harm to a rifle bore than a steel one?

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #25 - Apr 5th, 2017 at 9:11am
Print Post  
You might be able to get away with knocking stuck cartridges out with a well-oiled hickory loading rod, but a dowel will inevitably break and then you have two separate stuck pieces in your barrel, each helping the other to resist being driven out.  Even a metal cleaning rod should be regarded as for emergency use only, not as a routine method of extracting badly stuck shells.

I have a High Wall in .32-40 with a modern reline and chamber and notice that some of my shells swell at the heads, even with black powder loadings, and need a tap with a rod to get them out.  These are old balloon-head cases and the shell holder and die setup on my loading press doesn't allow sizing all the way down to the rim.  As KAF said, taking the innards out of the FLS die and using it like an old drive-in-and-out sizer might take care of this.

Of course, leave us face it, extraction is the Achilles' Heel of all the classic single shots, and nobody should be surprised by the occasional sticky case.  But even the bad lot I described can be gotten out by sliding the rod in from muzzle to breech, pulling it back slightly, and "throwing" it, with thumb and forefinger, against the back of the stuck case, by wrist action only.  This usually results in my having to chase a case around the legs of the shooting bench.  Having to pound the rod with a hammer is something else again.

Threading one of those badly sticky cases through the primer hole, attaching a rod, smearing the shell with Clover compound, and lapping the chamber using a back-and-forth motion with an electric drill, should relieve the tight spots.  I have done this on a couple undersized chambers, and, properly done, it polishes out the tight spots without enlarging the rest of the chamber.  But I would look to my brass first, and make sure it is properly dimensioned.

IP Logged

don1885
Senior Forum Member

Reply #26 - Apr 5th, 2017 at 9:26am
Print Post  
When I have need to remove a case from a barrel from the muzzle I, for example on a 32-40 will use a steel rod around 1/4" dia. and wrap blue painters tape (two or three wraps) every 4" or so to prevent the rod from peening the the rifling lands when it flexes as it is tapped. Extra mass in larger rod also requires less hammer force. JMHO

Don
ASSRA #10637

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #27 - Apr 5th, 2017 at 10:30am
Print Post  
OK Here is a trick that you can try take your empty shell case and resize it. now take a piece of metal and put it over the shell holder and run the resize die all the way to the rim. You'll have to tap the case out with a piece of rod. Swageing the base is something that 32 MS shooters are firmilure with. This may cure the problem if it does generally once you have swaged the bases down they will not stick again.

40 Rod

IP Logged

Bulseyetom
Oldtimer

Reply #28 - Apr 5th, 2017 at 11:39am
Print Post  
I must be missing something which is nothing new for me!  We start out with a 32-40 cartridge loaded with a 180 grain bullet yet the pictures show a 38-55 headstamped case it looks like.  Completely confused as usual.   Undecided  Tom

Twitter  
IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #29 - Apr 5th, 2017 at 1:11pm
Print Post  
Bill Lawrence wrote on Apr 5th, 2017 at 7:00am:

While my question will surely expose me as a grossly ignorant non-shooter, assuming they're both clean, why would a wooden rod potentially do more harm to a rifle bore than a steel one?

Bill Lawrence

They can split and get wedged.  When that happens it's next to impossible to get it out.

<div class=

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint