Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Stuck cartridges (Read 8185 times)
Trigger Happy
Participating Member

Stuck cartridges
Apr 3rd, 2017 at 10:47pm
Print Post  
So I new to this single shot shooting. Bought a used octagon barreled Winchester in 32-40. Bought a box of new, correct headstamped 180gr lead cartridges. Without sight adjustment, bullseye. Cartridge doesn't eject. Done shooting for the day. At home, brass cleaning rod doesn't budge shell. Used wood dowel, whacked with hammer, popped out. Extractor seems to function. Push empty case in chamber, close action. Stuck again. Is the dowel the preferred case removal method in old guns?

IP Logged

jy3855
Senior Forum Member

Re: Stuck cartridges
Reply #1 - Apr 3rd, 2017 at 11:16pm
Print Post  
Take a very close look, under good lighting, at the fired cartridge case (a cartridge is the unfired assemblage of cartridge case, primer, powder, and bullet). Can you see any irregularities on the surface, heavy scratches, bumps, annular ridges or depressions? The chamber of your rifle may be corroded, pitted, "ringed" - that is an annular depression in the metal, or some other problem.

How does the primer look? Is it very flat, and completely (or nearly so) fill the primer pocket to the edge with no rounded primer edge - a flat that continues from the primer surface to the case head without a depression at the edge of the primer?

You may need to take the rifle to a gunsmith to be diagnosed, or to a knowledgeable friend with lots of experience with shooting old rifles.

Can you post a picture taken close-up with your camera on macro setting, and with good lighting on this forum? Actually, two photos, one of the side of the case, and one of the head/primer.

IP Logged

Trigger Happy
Participating Member

Reply #2 - Apr 3rd, 2017 at 11:18pm
Print Post  
So where's a good diagram of the Winchester mechanism available?

IP Logged

jy3855
Senior Forum Member

Reply #3 - Apr 3rd, 2017 at 11:23pm
Print Post  
Trigger Happy wrote on Apr 3rd, 2017 at 11:18pm:
So where's a good diagram of the Winchester mechanism available?

What model rifle is it? A model 1885? 1894?  I'm assuming it's a model 1885 High Wall. You might try google "image" - i.e. google "Winchester Model 1885" rifle parts diagram".

IP Logged

jfeldman
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #4 - Apr 3rd, 2017 at 11:27pm
Print Post  
Will it eject an unfired cartridge?

Regards, Joe

IP Logged

Trigger Happy
Participating Member

Reply #5 - Apr 3rd, 2017 at 11:31pm
Print Post  
Cleaned before and after shooting. Inspected case, seems ok. Another shooter gave me a sized 38-55 case. Inserted in chamber, worked the action. Stuck. I won't shoot it until the club starts regular Wednesday shoot days. But on a weekend with nice weather and a new (old) gun staring at you, I had to do it.

IP Logged

Trigger Happy
Participating Member

Reply #6 - Apr 4th, 2017 at 1:34am
Print Post  
Case photos

IP Logged

Trigger Happy
Participating Member

Reply #7 - Apr 4th, 2017 at 1:36am
Print Post  
Ends

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Apr 4th, 2017 at 3:52am
Print Post  
Have you tried a chamber cast to compare measurements with?

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

bnice
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Apr 4th, 2017 at 8:05am
Print Post  
How hard do they insert to start with? Have you mic'ed the fired cases to see if there are wide spots or major deviations to the unfired cases? Primers kind of look backed out in photo or is that just optical delusion Cry

IP Logged

Quarter_Bore
Oldtimer

Reply #10 - Apr 4th, 2017 at 9:01am
Print Post  
If the barrel is a replacement or if it is a factory barrel that has been set back it might be that the persons who did the barrel work did not have a properly dimensioned chambering reamer. Have a good single shot gunsmith take a look at it.

IP Logged

jy3855
Senior Forum Member

Reply #11 - Apr 4th, 2017 at 9:02am
Print Post  
Thanks for posting the pictures of the cases. I don't see anything in the picture that shows a rung chamber or heavy pitting.

Still, the culprit seems to me to be either a rough chamber or a tight chamber at the base.  Look at the fired cartridge case again, but in subdued ambient light, and shine a flashlight at a low angle or parallel to the side of the case to highlight any abnormalities with the case.

The High Wall does have a bit of camming to push a reluctant cartridge in the chamber the last little bit. With the chamber open, but the lever pulled back just a bit to let the extractor go fully forward, can you seat a sized case fully with just your fingers, or does it balk at going in the last bit.

Do you have a 30-30 sized case that you can try chambering by hand? With it's greater body taper, if you do get resistance, you know that it's coming from the bottom part of the case.

With the possibility of a pitted chamber, I'm reluctant to do a cerrosafe chamber cast, as pitting can grab the side of the cast and make it difficult to remove from the chamber.

I just read Quarter_bore's post - good points.  Can you remove the forearm and see if there's an extra dovetail for the mainspring base? If the barrel was set back, they would have had to cut a new dovetail for the mainspring base.
« Last Edit: Apr 4th, 2017 at 9:08am by jy3855 »  

IP Logged

beltfed
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Apr 4th, 2017 at 9:40am
Print Post  
Noted that one fired case- the primer looked 
rather flat, AND extruded into the firing pin hole...
Pressure?
beltfed/arnie

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Apr 4th, 2017 at 2:02pm
Print Post  
I looked at the photos and see only the one primer that's flowed into the pin hole- not horribly, but....pressure isn't likely high, but you may have some wear on the block's hole.
Nobody has yet asked if a new, unfired load will chamber by finger pressure and extract. If it will, something is happening upon firing, and then all this other advice will be more meaningful. 
Don't bother to stick a .30-30 in there and expect to learn anything. That case has a different shape ahead of the base that will stop in no time. Hope you get 'er going soon and glad to have ya here.

IP Logged

KAF
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Apr 4th, 2017 at 3:10pm
Print Post  
Just for fun, resize case all the way to the rim. Do so by setting case on top of the shell holder run it up into the die and knock it out with your dowel.

Maybe the web is slightly to big for your chamber.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint