Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) .44 Ballard CF (Read 9319 times)
MIEagle
Participating Member

.44 Ballard CF
Mar 19th, 2017 at 8:59am
Print Post  
Hi, I have an opportunity to acquire a .44 Ballard. I don't know the barrel length but it is octagonal and I'm told is a hunting rifle. The sights are the blade front and a ladder type on the barrel. It has the centerfire pin on  the hammer. I'm also told that .44 Magnum cases work in this rifle.
     What are the specs on this cartridge and rifle? I will use only BP and probably will paper patch the slugs.  Thank you.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: .44 Ballard CF
Reply #1 - Mar 19th, 2017 at 9:52am
Print Post  
Could be, if you're very lucky, .44-40, but probably more likely to be .44 Long or Extra Long, for which the .44 Mag case is no substitute.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #2 - Mar 19th, 2017 at 10:07am
Print Post  
The #2 Ballard was chambered in either .44 Long or .44-40, and although I've never heard of or seen one in .44 Extra Long, I guess anything might be possible.
I have one in both calibers and the .44 Long is my favorite, as I do use .44 magnum cases to shoot mine. The .44 Long uses a heeled .439" bullet, but bores vary, so you'll need to slug it to see what yours is. I cast for mine with an old Ideal tong tool for .44 Long that has a good mold on it. Mine drops a 225 grain bullet and that makes a very pleasant round to shoot in my Ballard when kept around 900-1000 fps, or a full charge of black powder if you prefer that.
They are cast receivers, so you don't want to push it much. But every #2 I've owned in .44-40 or .44 Long was a tight action, so it's not like they shoot loose with mild loads. 
Accurate Molds also has a cataloged bullet for the .44 Long, and can cut it to whatever size your bore slugs to. Paper patch would not be a great choice for the heeled design of the .44 Long.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

MIEagle
Participating Member

Reply #3 - Mar 19th, 2017 at 10:44am
Print Post  
Thank you for the info. If it is a .44 Long, is it an accurate enough cartridge/bullet for 200 yd target shooting?  Is a flat nosed bullet with a full case of 3F good as a 100-150 yd deer hunting round?
If I wanted to rebarrel it (saving the original for posterity) in, say, no more than a .40-65 Win, would it be appropriate to drill and tap the tang for a vernier tang sight for sihlouette shooting?
Thank you.

IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Mar 19th, 2017 at 11:23am
Print Post  
Is it a Marlin Ballard, one made by Ballard Arms, or an earlier one?
If a Marlin, does the frame have 2 or 3 lines of address?
Aaron
« Last Edit: Mar 19th, 2017 at 11:30am by Rebel »  

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. Let's Go Sonny!

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #5 - Mar 19th, 2017 at 11:26am
Print Post  
MIEagle wrote on Mar 19th, 2017 at 10:44am:
Thank you for the info. If it is a .44 Long, is it an accurate enough cartridge/bullet for 200 yd target shooting?  Is a flat nosed bullet with a full case of 3F good as a 100-150 yd deer hunting round?
If I wanted to rebarrel it (saving the original for posterity) in, say, no more than a .40-65 Win, would it be appropriate to drill and tap the tang for a vernier tang sight for sihlouette shooting?
Thank you.

All Marlin Ballards are factory D&T for a tang sight with a 1.125" spacing. If yours isn't it's the first one I  ever heard of. If yours isn't a Marlin, then it may not be D&T for a sight as earlier Ballards used a dovetailed sight base.
The #2 Ballard is a cast action (as are all pre-Marlin Ballards) and not suitable to rebarreling to any centerfire rifle cartridge. The .44-40 and .44 long were the most powerful cartridge the cast #2 was built on, and even those calibers were dropped in later production for the cast #2 frames. If your rifle was the forged receiver used in rifle calibers the .40-65 would be no problem at all.
200 yds. is not an issue with the .44 Long, but it will have a pretty good arc in the bullet's flight at that distance. I've shot mine accurately enough to hit 500 yd. dingers, and 300 yd. are very accurate. But it's certainly not going to be anyone's first choice, and more likely just a fun challenge to see how far it can be pushed.
A 200 gr. bullet in the .44 Long is plenty good to take deer sized game if the bore and the shooter are both up to the task. Biggest issue is knowing your gun, the bullet drop, and gauging distance to the target. I haven't used mine for deer hunting, as I have others in better rifle calibers. But I wouldn't hesitate to use it if it was what I had to hunt with.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #6 - Mar 19th, 2017 at 11:31am
Print Post  
One other note!!! If the Ballard you're looking at buying is a pre-Marlin Ballard, then be sure it's not a RF version! Most pre Marlin Ballards were percussion/RF versions and not good choices for anyone wanting to reload or shoot them much.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #7 - Mar 19th, 2017 at 11:35am
Print Post  
Rebel wrote on Mar 19th, 2017 at 11:23am:
Is it a Marlin Ballard, one made by Ballard Arms, or an earlier one?
If a Marlin, does the frame have 2 or 3 lines of address?
Aaron

Aaron, the 2 or 3 line address thing is a pretty good way to tell if it's cast or forged, but not 100%. I have seen a fair number of 3 line Ballards with forged frames, and just recently seen two 2 line cast #2 frame Ballards also! So there are exceptions to the rule and it makes me want to drop the breech block on any Marlin Ballard and verify if it has the void under the barrel that tells us it's a cast action. Or solid under the barrel that tells it's a forged action.

IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Mar 19th, 2017 at 1:38pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the info, takes lots of experience to know those things.
Aaron

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. Let's Go Sonny!

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #9 - Mar 19th, 2017 at 4:16pm
Print Post  
Rebel wrote on Mar 19th, 2017 at 1:38pm:
Thanks for the info, takes lots of experience to know those things.
Aaron

I knew about the 3 line guns that were forged, but had never heard of or seen the reverse! Even spoke with Dutcher in Denver last May about the same subject, as I bought my Rigby Ballard there and it is a 3 line forged. He said he'd not seen any 2 line cast, and I hadn't then either. But in the last 6 months I ran across two of them that are #2 cast actions and 2 line addresses. One a friend bought, and the other was on Gun Broker and in .32 Long. I contacted the seller hoping it was a rare forged Ballard in .32 Long. He removed the breech blocks and took a picture of the inside of the receiver which confirmed it was a cast 2 line receiver. I'd still love to have it, but his reserve is way too high for just owning an oddity.

IP Logged

jfeldman
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #10 - Mar 20th, 2017 at 2:35am
Print Post  
OP says "It has the centerfire pin on  the hammer".  Doesn't that make it a very early split breech action?

Wondering..............Joe

IP Logged

Deadeye Bly
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Mar 20th, 2017 at 8:09am
Print Post  
He says it has the firing pin on the hammer and that would make it an early pre-Marlin Ballard. It is definitely a cast action and not suitable for any modern cartridge. It may have been modified from it's original configuration. Originally it would have been a 44 rimfire. Some in the N-SSA convert them to centerfire and enlarge the chamber to the 44 Russian, 44 Special or the 44/40 WCF. It could be either of these.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #12 - Mar 20th, 2017 at 9:01am
Print Post  
Good catch Deadeye! I missed the comment about the hammer in his first post.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Mar 20th, 2017 at 9:30am
Print Post  
Deadeye Bly wrote on Mar 20th, 2017 at 8:09am:
He says it has the firing pin on the hammer and that would make it an early pre-Marlin Ballard. It is definitely a cast action and not suitable for any modern cartridge. It may have been modified from it's original configuration. Originally it would have been a 44 rimfire. Some in the N-SSA convert them to centerfire and enlarge the chamber to the 44 Russian, 44 Special or the 44/40 WCF. It could be either of these.

Another method of CF conversion I've heard of on the dual-ignition models consists of replacing the nipple on the block with a short firing pin.  But if the gun in question is any of the pre-Marlin models, it's odd that whoever's got it failed to note the unusual appendage protruding from the bottom of the forearm--the manual extractor.

If the chamber must be reamed to accept .44 Spl. (which, because of the .44 RF's heel bullet, is what I thought originally), how can .44 Mag cases be used?
« Last Edit: Mar 20th, 2017 at 10:13am by Redsetter »  

IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Mar 20th, 2017 at 1:38pm
Print Post  
The JM Marlin Ballard 1 1/2 I have is stamped "44' on the barrel.  It is chambered for 44-40
« Last Edit: Mar 20th, 2017 at 1:48pm by »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint