Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Barrel Length (Read 12244 times)
JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Barrel Length
Reply #15 - Mar 18th, 2017 at 10:06pm
Print Post  
Interesting in how one can make up quotes from supposedly another poster I need to figure that one out myself someday never now when it might come in handy.

Yours Sincerely
John Louis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Mar 18th, 2017 at 11:34pm
Print Post  
Huh

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Mar 18th, 2017 at 11:57pm
Print Post  
Jeff_Schultz wrote on Mar 18th, 2017 at 6:21pm:
Jeff,
Could you please clearify your smiley face?

I used the wrong thing. I corrected it.
  Now, back to the OP's serious question. 28" is unquestionably the proper length.
I bought a DeHass-Miller bench gun with a 21" barrel and was almost laughed off the range by my friends! They called it a "buggy rifle". Angry

It is, isn't it?  Roll Eyes

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Mar 19th, 2017 at 12:07am
Print Post  
My thoughts exactly CF go back and look at the times the comments were per-say posted. One states it was posted at 19:48:54: yesterday and then the very next states it was posted today at 4:48PM. I will leave the rest of it up to one's own imagination it's all well beyond my own. 

Yours Sincerely
John Louis

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Mar 19th, 2017 at 2:23am
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on Mar 19th, 2017 at 12:07am:
My thoughts exactly CF go back and look at the times the comments were per-say posted. One states it was posted at 19:48:54: yesterday and then the very next states it was posted today at 4:48PM. I will leave the rest of it up to one's own imagination it's all well beyond my own. 

Yours Sincerely
John Louis

It's pretty simple, J Louis.
I just logged in and the forum date and clock (upper left corner of the web page) shows that it is three hours ahead of the local time zone.
19:48:54 on the 24 hour military clock is equal to 7:48:54PM on the 12 hour clock, and which again, is three hours ahead of 4:48PM local time zone.
Does the forum need to start using zulu time to avoid confusion, or will that make matters worse?

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Mar 19th, 2017 at 2:53am
Print Post  
BP, I suggest we just use Arizona time. At least it is stable  Roll Eyes

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #21 - Mar 19th, 2017 at 9:02am
Print Post  
Seems to me this is a pretty controversial subject, and also one that has no correct answer. Since there are examples of great shooters shooting great scores with a variety of barrel lengths, but no mention of barrel weight. I would guess that how stiff a barrel is can be greatly affected by both length and diameter, and not just one of the two. I would also guess that if a particular barrel shoots accurately with a great shooter, it likely will shoot equally well with another equally talented shooter. (if it fits him as well)

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #22 - Mar 19th, 2017 at 9:32am
Print Post  
The correct answer is shoot the length that works for you. First of all Plain-based benchrest shooting is a learning experience. No matter what you build you have to learn how to shoot it. Some like to be held some don’t want to be touched, there are enough successful bullet, powder, cartridge combinations that I won’t live long enough to work out. You can identify problems with your load or practices and work to fix them.
You can’t build a winning bench rifle you have to learn to shoot it.

40 Rod

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - Mar 19th, 2017 at 1:17pm
Print Post  
The second one would have shown as 16:48:54 then BP if it were to make any sense and my point and enough said on the issue.

JLouis

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - Mar 19th, 2017 at 1:44pm
Print Post  
Bob Z I admire Ron Smith's machining abilties they are second to none and he is quite a remarkable and extremely talented individual. If anyone here has not read the article in regards to Ron's barrel making in the Summer 2010 issue #70 in the Black Powder Cartridge News I would engourage them to do so. If one does not have it it would be well worth purchashing a back issue to be able to do so.

JLouis

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #25 - Mar 19th, 2017 at 2:55pm
Print Post  
Marlinguy I tend to beleave barrel size, length weight choice plays a more important role in providing less or more movement of the rifle in the bags than it does for any improved accuracy if bench shooting. For that specific use heavy would then be an advantage as it helps to dampen tourque, recoil and thus the rifle rides the bags or sled better and in a nice smooth and controled manor. It can also be further improved upon if the rifle is properly recoil balanced and this where the combined weight and length plays an important role in being able to obtain that balance.

JLouis

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #26 - Mar 19th, 2017 at 2:55pm
Print Post  
I will have that High Wall and the Ballard for offhand.  Too bad that smith that did the HW didn't do the Ballard.   Shocked Embarrassed Undecided
What was interesting about the HW is that it had a single set trigger, but no fly in the hammer or proper sear.  It does have a 1/4" stock through bolt though.   

Jack

ASSRA # 11318
just a bit of a hoot.

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #27 - Mar 19th, 2017 at 3:17pm
Print Post  
I had no idea about the times of posting, and never look at 'em.
What my "face" was was a quote of Mr. Schultz. Or, if you prefer, it could have been sent this way:   Huhpt2

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #28 - Mar 19th, 2017 at 4:14pm
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on Mar 19th, 2017 at 1:17pm:
The second one would have shown as 16:48:54 then BP if it were to make any sense and my point and enough said on the issue.

JLouis

John, Go to your profile, then edit and correct your time zone.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #29 - Mar 19th, 2017 at 4:19pm
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on Mar 19th, 2017 at 2:55pm:
Marlinguy I tend to beleave barrel size, length weight choice plays a more important role in providing less or more movement of the rifle in the bags than it does for any improved accuracy if bench shooting. For that specific use heavy would then be an advantage as it helps to dampen tourque, recoil and thus the rifle rides the bags or sled better and in a nice smooth and controled manor. It can also be further improved upon if the rifle is properly recoil balanced and this where the combined weight and length plays an important role in being able to obtain that balance.

JLouis

Thanks for your thoughts on barrel weight/length John!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint