Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Barrel Length (Read 12211 times)
jseines

Barrel Length
Mar 14th, 2017 at 9:28pm
Print Post  
Looking for information regarding optumum barrel length based on bullet caliber...i.e. optimum barrel length for .32 Miller Short...I remember conversations regarding rimfire benchrest discussing same subject, harmonics being a factor and the use of tuners...let me know your thoughts...again my plan is to build a benchrest only rifle, Meacham Hoch action with a Ron Smith barrel 22-11.5 gain-twist...Thanks/John

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Re: Barrel Length
Reply #1 - Mar 15th, 2017 at 8:21am
Print Post  
I’ve always thought that 28” is a proper length for a plain-based benchrest rifle. I know that others have advocated a shorter barrel but it just doesn’t look. 28” gives you enough length for irons.

40 Rod

IP Logged

rgchristensen
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Mar 15th, 2017 at 9:34am
Print Post  
    The reason that tuners are used on RF barrels is that you can "tune" the CF's by changing the powder charge -- which you can't do with the RF's.
     I agree that short bbls "look funny", but short ones of the same weight are stiffer.   
     Take these remarks with a grain of salt, because I am mainly an OH shooter.

CHRIS
RGChristensen

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Mar 15th, 2017 at 1:52pm
Print Post  
There was a point in time here when mostly Miller's were being used in the matches here. They all had a tendency to have short fat barrels with bloop tubes then being attached to extend the iron sight radius just for those events. These was quite typical of what the top shooters at that point in time were using and doing. If I recall right Charlie Dell was a big fan of short fat barrels and I would assume allot of it was due to his exstensive machine rest test results and 40 Rod would have more knowledge than me on it having spent time with Charlie. There are still some club records held by the those folks who followed that trend but it could have just been that a trend as you don't see them being used here any longer in competition. The majority of the barrels being used here now are 28 inches in length and I can't think of one currently being shorter than. Most of the rifles being used here now also tend to be more in the traditional design so the overall look of those rifles probably dictates the desired barrel length more so now and I don't think there is an accuracy loss due to the now slighlty longer lengths being desired.

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

jseines

Reply #4 - Mar 15th, 2017 at 3:35pm
Print Post  
Having been down the long dusty road of rimfire benchrest both ARA and RBA it was the finer points that separated the winners from others...harmonics is a big factor where barrel length, choke and the use of tuners plays a huge part in that illusive quest for accuracy, not to mention the dreaded "ammo chase"... I'm trying to catch'up on opinions for Schuetzen center-fire match where the multiple small things are a factor, i.e. harmonics, etc...keep your opinions and facts coming.
Thanks/John

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Mar 15th, 2017 at 7:14pm
Print Post  
Lowell used to be one of our regular ISSA Regional competitiors and he also shot his Miller rifle just as extremely well. 

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

craigd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Mar 17th, 2017 at 2:01pm
Print Post  
Schuetzendave wrote on Mar 15th, 2017 at 5:53pm:
....The accuracy of a RKS barrel is due to the precision cut rifling and the continuous barrel choke; and is not the result of a gain twist....

Only curious, is the groove diameter actually choked? I had thought, probably mistakenly, that the decreasing twist acted like choke towards the muzzle of a barrel on a barrel that actually had a uniform groove diameter. Again, not trying to stir up anything, just asking. Thanks for any comment.

IP Logged

Jeff_Schultz
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #7 - Mar 17th, 2017 at 6:36pm
Print Post  
  Just shoot your bullets in the order cast and the rest doesn't matter.

"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo

“There is no situation so bad that it cannot be made worse."

Confidence- The feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Mar 17th, 2017 at 9:30pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I also find it interesting in that the one who promotes them the most here is also the one who tends to not put ten record shots on his target at the Nationals based on my clear understanding of those who have attend on a regular basis and one who has been noted as being watched very closely and I refuse to mention any names as there has been more than one doing so unfortuatly that have won allot of undeserved honors and then have then have the nerve to somehow brag about it.

John,
Are you refering to your 5 - 5 shot group record?

You do have to watch some of those guys so they don't cheat.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Mar 17th, 2017 at 10:08pm
Print Post  
With the gain twist, is that 28" length from the chamber's throat to the muzzle?    Undecided

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Mar 17th, 2017 at 10:40pm
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on Mar 17th, 2017 at 7:48pm:
Just get out and learn how to shoot and it will all fall into place pretty plain and simple. More matches are being won here by the best of the best with Douglas barrels so how would one try to go about explaining it as even being possible? So get over all of the majic it is just not there good folks and quit wasting your hard earned money. No matter who makes the barrel it is either a good one or not such a good one and I have had more RKS barrels not being all that good. In fact I have yet been able to get my hands on a good one and not from a lack of trying. Maybe that is why they were so cheap and were being sold. I also find it interesting in that the one who promotes them the most here is also the one who tends to not put ten record shots on his target at the Nationals based on my clear understanding of those who have attend on a regular basis and one who has been noted as being watched very closely and I refuse to mention any names as there has been more than one doing so unfortuatly that have won allot of undeserved honors and then have then have the nerve to somehow brag about it.

JLouis

Maybe your fingers are getting mixed up and hitting the wrong keys?  Are you sure Ron puts out inferior barrels?

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Mar 18th, 2017 at 2:27am
Print Post  
Quote:
J Louis wrote Today at 4:48pm:
Just get out and learn how to shoot and it will all fall into place pretty plain and simple. More matches are being won here by the best of the best with Douglas barrels so how would one try to go about explaining it as even being possible? So get over all of the majic it is just not there good folks and quit wasting your hard earned money. No matter who makes the barrel it is either a good one or not such a good one and I have had more RKS barrels not being all that good. In fact I have yet been able to get my hands on a good one and not from a lack of trying. Maybe that is why they were so cheap and were being sold. I also find it interesting in that the one who promotes them the most here is also the one who tends to not put ten record shots on his target at the Nationals based on my clear understanding of those who have attend on a regular basis and one who has been noted as being watched very closely and I refuse to mention any names as there has been more than one doing so unfortuatly that have won allot of undeserved honors and then have then have the nerve to somehow brag about it.

JLouis

Smiley

Jeff,
Could you please clearify your smiley face?

Is it concering the more shooting aspect? 

The putting down of barrels?

Or calling someone a cheater, w/o proof?

Or all of John's post?

Inquiring minds would like to know?

Frank

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Jeff_Schultz
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #12 - Mar 18th, 2017 at 6:21pm
Print Post  
Jeff,
Could you please clearify your smiley face?

I used the wrong thing. I corrected it.
  Now, back to the OP's serious question. 28" is unquestionably the proper length.
I bought a DeHass-Miller bench gun with a 21" barrel and was almost laughed off the range by my friends! They called it a "buggy rifle". Angry

"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo

“There is no situation so bad that it cannot be made worse."

Confidence- The feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Mar 18th, 2017 at 7:40pm
Print Post  
Personally, I don't think that there is a right or wrong length for a barrel in CF. But, I do have a opinion on RF (can't prove it, of course Smiley ). 

I think in RF that a long barrel can have a advantage. Because that the amount of powder is so small and fast, it's shown that a 20" barrel can burn it, most all of it. I think that the additional barrel can act as a stabilizer and a dampener for the bullet, plus it does lower the muzzle pressure that acts on whats left of the blow out, to groove base band.

Makes since to me but, whether it works or not, I can't say.

Going back to CF, I've thought for the last 10+ years, that muzzle pressure can have a effect on accuracy, with our soft bullets and that is maybe why the Miller Short seems to have a overall, slight advantage.

That group and score killing, one or two fliers could possibly be a damaged base, on exit?

My vote is for long barrels. 28" minimum, I have two 26" and two 30" (rest are 28") but, my 45/70's have been 32".

Frank

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Mar 18th, 2017 at 9:02pm
Print Post  
Frank,

My 32-40 High Wall has a 31" Green Mountain barrel.  It is my main battle rifle now as it is very accurate,  My other 32-40, a Ballard sports a RKS barrel at just over 27 inches.  It is just as accurate and I have it set up for offhand now.   

Jack

ASSRA # 11318
just a bit of a hoot.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint