Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Another Hepburn (Read 3850 times)
JerryH
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Member #10876

Another Hepburn
Mar 10th, 2017 at 9:17pm
Print Post  
This one was a 219 Zipper Improved varmint rifle, which didn't interest me at all. It's a project in progress, without much progress for a while. It still has a long way to go. I tend to get distracted and start other projects before finishing them. 

It now has a stock (that I never did finish) that I used on my other Hepburn for BPCR with a 38-50 barrel for a while. I had a .32 caliber barrel with 8 lands and grooves of unknown manufacture that needed a home and I thought it would be a good match. It's 30.5" long and measures 1.20 across the flats, chambered in 32-40.

This is where it is now. I need to cut a slot for the extractor, make a forearm, install a buttplate, and finally finish the stock.

This one's serial number is 214 after my other one.

JerryH
« Last Edit: Mar 10th, 2017 at 9:31pm by JerryH »  

I'm not a complete idiot, some of my parts are missing.

IP Logged

shovel80
Oldtimer

Re: Another Hepburn
Reply #1 - Mar 10th, 2017 at 10:08pm
Print Post  
I Like it! Smiley

Terry

ASSRA Member # 11021
IP Logged

Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Mar 10th, 2017 at 10:33pm
Print Post  
Looks good. Hepburn ball pistol grips are hard to do well. That one looks good. 
Chuck

IP Logged

JerryH
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Member #10876

Reply #3 - Mar 10th, 2017 at 11:24pm
Print Post  
Thanks Chuck. The profile looks good, but I got it a little thin looking at it from the bottom. It was my first attempt at shaping a stock. I think I can make it look acceptable once I find my way back to working on it.

JerryH

I'm not a complete idiot, some of my parts are missing.

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Mar 11th, 2017 at 7:05am
Print Post  
Very nice! That's a great looking piece of wood. Do you have the matching forearm? With a 32cal hole in the middle of that barrel I'm guessing that isn't going to be your off-hand rifle.  Wink

Looking forward to your first shooting report as I also have a 32-40 Hepburn that started life with me as a .219 Zipper. Will eventually have the original 28" full octagon barrel relined back to 32-40, as it came from Remington. Just finished the 35-40 Hepburn and the 38-50 Hepburn metal is out for case-color & bluing before fitting the barrel. While not the "best looking", the Hepburn just seems to "fit" better than any of the other single-shot rifles I've shot.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #5 - Mar 11th, 2017 at 9:24am
Print Post  
Looks great Jerry! And looks very close to sending rounds downrange! I have the opposite problem with my Hepburn I stocked. A little fatter in the grip area than originals. But I have big hands, so I told myself it was perfect for me. I do like the feel of a slightly larger grip width, but I always notice the difference, when others don't. Or maybe they're just being kind.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Mar 11th, 2017 at 12:31pm
Print Post  
I have been in a swoon over all the Rolling Blocks we've seen in the past few days. Some beauties there for certain. But, though I've never even owned a Remington single shot, I really like the Hepburns more than the other- even this one, unfinished, is a joy, and makes me glad to get back to the straight and narrow life of a falling block lover. Thank ya, Jerry.

IP Logged

LONG RANGE
Senior Forum Member

Reply #7 - Mar 11th, 2017 at 3:07pm
Print Post  
I had a German single shot some one had barreled in 219 IMP and it had to be the loudest rifle I ever owned. I now have another rifle with the same action in 225 Winchester and it is just as loud. I fell in love with the Hepburn the first time I saw one but I never got around to buying one. Believe it or not, they were really cheap in the early '60s. The Hepburn you have is shaping up very well. I like it.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #8 - Mar 11th, 2017 at 4:19pm
Print Post  
My restored Hepburn in .45-70.

And my Match B in .32-40 B&M.

My .40-70SS Hepburn.

« Last Edit: Mar 11th, 2017 at 4:32pm by marlinguy »  

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #9 - Mar 11th, 2017 at 4:41pm
Print Post  
And a #1 Sporting Rifle in .40-65 I restored a few years ago. It went away in a trade right after it was done. Couldn't find a finished picture.

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Mar 11th, 2017 at 7:36pm
Print Post  
Long Range wrote "I fell in love with the Hepburn the first time I saw one but I never got around to buying one. Believe it or not, they were really cheap in the early '60s."
Don't know if this counts as really cheap but back then (the mid 60's) I had a choice between a Hepburn at $150 and a Borchardt at $125. The Hepburn had one of those custom stocks whose lines, how can I put it nicely, did nothing to enhance the appearance of the rifle. I chose the Borchardt.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint