Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic A Hepburn (Read 1745 times)
JerryH
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Member #10876

A Hepburn
Mar 10th, 2017 at 8:47pm
Print Post  
My second single shot rifle. All matching serial numbers with some honest wear on it. Overall a pretty nice rifle. Due to some horse trading I don't really have much invested in it.

The bad news is that the idiot that owned it before me and his equally incompetent "gunsmith" did a bad reline on the barrel and added two new dovetails and four holes for Unertl blocks. Fortunately (I'm sure it was an accident) they missed all the writing on the top flat. Some day I'll get around to correcting the extra holes and dovetails.

JerryH

I'm not a complete idiot, some of my parts are missing.

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: A Hepburn
Reply #1 - Mar 11th, 2017 at 7:38am
Print Post  
Another great one. 

How will you fix the extra holes? My 35-40 Hepburn's barrel was a .22R Lovell that I had lined. Has two extra sets of holes for 'other' scopes that I would like to fill. My 6-48 screws are too long and gripping them to shorten is a real PITA. 

Have one "all original" Hepburn (the others were butchered by previous owners) with a full octagon barrel that was lined to .219 Zipper. Will line it back to the original 32-40, but am in a quandary as how to mount a scope, as I really don't want to d&t a nice original barrel.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: A Hepburn
Reply #2 - Mar 11th, 2017 at 9:19am
Print Post  
Gorgeous Hepburn Jerry! Always a shame when people have no regard for a fine gun and begin adding holes and dovetails! 
I bought one of my Schoyen Ballards at Denver show last May and the Schoyen barrel had 6 extra holes, and 2 extra dovetails in it. Since you can't weld on barrels and not affect the bore, (some people argue you can) I did cold patches on the holes and dovetails. I threaded soft steel rod short, so when tightening it into the holes it ran out of threads before bottoming. Then screwed the rod in with Loctite on the threads and cut it off long. 
For the dovetails I made up dovetail filler material that I carefully filed to make a very tight fit. I drove it in with Loctite on it also, and left them long on both ends. Then using a dolly and a ball peen hammer I pounded both ends to expand the fillers and make them even tighter to the dovetail.
Once I filled all the mistakes I draw filed the fillers down and hand polished the flats. Then sent it off to have the barrel rust blued, and it came back looking great. I can find the fillers if I look closely, but if I don't mention them nobody notices them when they look at it.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint