Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Yawing 32-40 bullets (Read 15112 times)
frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Yawing 32-40 bullets
Reply #15 - Mar 10th, 2017 at 12:22am
Print Post  
Ken,
I got that information from the guy that ran the Douglas Barrel machineshop (the one that you also ordered from, back in the 80's and 90's) you also knew and talked to him at that time. Although I don't remember his name now, you were the one that told me to talk to him and give your name, when I ordered barrels from them.

I think also they say something about it on their web site and that it may also say they guaranty their twist to 1/2" but, I can't say that for sure.

As a machinist, I can tell you that if torque is applied to a a rod to push or pull anything, it will flex and even though a button has a pitch to it, it's path can vary while being pushed or pulled, the more force, the more flex and variation can occur. Wear will case more force to be need and that can also cause variation.

But, basically, that what Douglas told me about their barrel making process and twist guaranty.

Frank 

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Travelor

Reply #16 - Mar 10th, 2017 at 6:55am
Print Post  
Always amazes me how the threads "evolve" from the original question into something totally different.

Well, I guess I should not be amazed as they all seem to change..........

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Mar 10th, 2017 at 8:11am
Print Post  
"the journey is half the fun" Grin

actually we do the same all the time in in verbal conversations we just don't usually see them laid out in a black and white linear format so its not obvious. Wink

Some of the most informative information I've enjoyed here on the site over the years has been in the digressions; which regrettable are not usually accessible for later reference. Shocked

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Mar 10th, 2017 at 8:20am
Print Post  
JL   I recognize that---sometimes to my own viewpoint, it seems as if in the chase for a perfect record score the "fun factor" almost gets lost.   However since most of our "usual culprit" winners remain open and accessible and seem to be enjoying the experience of the match perhaps its just a matter of different definitions of fun.

This topic variation might deserve a whole discussion of its own though. Cheesy

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #19 - Mar 10th, 2017 at 8:54am
Print Post  
My method for determining a load on a new rifle is to start at .065” over case length. I breech seat a lubed bullet and then push it out and check it. I want to see two things that the rifling engraves into the base band of the bullet and that on the base band I can see contact all the way around. Then I start shooting at 100 yards I start with a load about 10% shy of recommended and work up until the vertical stringing is gone. At that point I know I am close so I move out to 200 and start again. Now the changes are more subtle and the wing has more time to play with the bullet. Over the course of 5 or 6 shooting sessions I will settle on a load. Then and only then I will adjust seating depth. I move out .005” at a time, again the changes are subtle so go slow. Once I have the best seating depth I never vary from it again, I make all my adjustments to the powder charge.
When I go from my home range (high elevation, different temperatures) to, lets say to Beeson’s range there are very real changes in conditions. After shooting a few targets if the groups are good I leave it alone, if not its time to add powder it’s usually only a click or two to close the groups up to what they should be. 

40 Rod

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Mar 10th, 2017 at 9:23am
Print Post  
John,  how much is "a click" with the powder you are using?    (I'm guessing you are using a Harrell measure).

Are you saying that EG requires a bit more powder than your home range?

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - Mar 10th, 2017 at 9:44am
Print Post  
I believe the OP's question was answered several times before the subject moved off into another direction so I fail to see any wrong doing in it doing so? Other than it makes it impossable to do a search should the new subject have something also very useful in it.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #22 - Mar 10th, 2017 at 11:31am
Print Post  
With Enforcer / 4100 it is about 2/3 of a tenth of a grain.with a Harrells Schuetzen measure.

40 Rod

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - Mar 10th, 2017 at 1:18pm
Print Post  
Well, Travelor, have you tested the advice to increase the speed of the bullet? Did it reduce or eliminate the yawing? 
I get it a little now and then when experimenting, and if the bullet is at all suitable that speed increase will fix it. Not always retaining the same accuracy, though. Sometimes a little wiggle in a bullet's rear end is as pleasing as a wiggle in a shapely girl.

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - Mar 10th, 2017 at 2:45pm
Print Post  
but if you try to mess with it might turn around and slap you silly  too Grin

IP Logged

SgtDog0311
Senior Forum Member

Reply #25 - Mar 10th, 2017 at 3:46pm
Print Post  
Schuetzendave wrote on Mar 7th, 2017 at 9:19am:
For 32 caliber rifles:

1:15 twist 180-190 grain bullets
1:14 twist 200 - 210 grain bullets
1:12 twist 220-235 grain bullets
1:11.5 twist 235-250 grain bullets

Excuse the piggy back.

Dave, where you getting that info?  Your calculations or a table/calculator somewhere?    Either way I'd be very interested if it carries further.  Best I could measure my Original Ballard is a 17.5 twist.  Have wondered if another mould would improve on my LBT bullet.    I think that drops at 164gr.   One of the most accurate rifles I've shot but had been thinking I should have a heavier bullet.   Your table of numbers makes me think different.   Maybe you saved me money:-)   Thanks,  John

Best Regards,
John

IP Logged

SgtDog0311
Senior Forum Member

Reply #26 - Mar 10th, 2017 at 7:41pm
Print Post  
Thank You Sir...  I'll check out both links.

Best Regards,
John

IP Logged

beltfed
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #27 - Mar 10th, 2017 at 8:28pm
Print Post  
If I missed something, Forgive me for asking
but is the Miller Stability Factor mainly for 200yds or so?
Or is is applicable to estimate twist for long range, such as BPTR, with cast bullets at say 1300-1400fps, out to 1000yds.
I do know that in the Greenhill formula, one can get closer
to correct twist for BPTR in one substitutes 120 or 125 for the constant.
thanks
beltfed/arnie

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #28 - Mar 10th, 2017 at 8:47pm
Print Post  
Good question I have had pretty good success with the Miller Rule to just get you close but only getting out to let the target tell you what actualy works or does not is the only way to really go about it. The problem for most and I don't mean this in a negative way is most do not know their rifle well enough to be able to tell what works and what does not. Most of this is due to the lack of the knowledge of how to read the wind and the mirage and no fault of the load, bullet, barrel or the rifle and just simply a fact of not knowing. Until one can get out enough to understand the true effects of it all one just ends up chasing his or her tail and then trys to put the blame else where when it is actually and generally all on them and no where else other than.

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #29 - Mar 11th, 2017 at 2:14pm
Print Post  
rafter3c wrote on Mar 11th, 2017 at 12:14pm:
Frank,
Thanks for your reply. I did not know we went back that far. I would think you talked to Arlie Gardner owner of Douglas.
I do agree with your above post. I will contact button Mfg. and see about affect of torque in regards to stated twist rate. 
KL

Yes, I bought my first target rifle from you in 1985. I drove from Orange to Cajon to shoot it before buying it. I won many matches with it in the following two years. All my rifles untill resenty have been Doulas barreled.

I talked to Arlie several time and bought about 10 - 12 barrels from him between '87 and '90.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
Send TopicPrint