Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Meacham Hoch Action (Read 4201 times)
jseines

Meacham Hoch Action
Mar 1st, 2017 at 8:00pm
Print Post  
I am looking for any information on the Meacham Hoch Action, i.e. what alloy was used in casting, what changes if any from the USA Hoch action...also is it recommended a heat treatment process...any and all information will be appreciated...I now have a "untouched" Meacham Action with plans to build a benchrest match rifle...Thanks/John

IP Logged

jseines

Re: Meacham Hoch Action
Reply #1 - Mar 2nd, 2017 at 1:57pm
Print Post  
Thanks Joe for the quick reply...does anyone have a clear copy of the brochure Meacham published for his Improved Hoch Action ?...I found a copy on this site but could not read (eyes, age, ?)...I'm still no-joy on attempts to contact Steve Meacham...again looking for any information on his improved Hoch action...Thanks/John

IP Logged

jfeldman
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #2 - Mar 2nd, 2017 at 6:05pm
Print Post  
John, I dug around and found a copy of Rifle mag from May/June 1993 that has an article by Frank de Haas on the original Hoch with a comparison of the later Meacham/Hoch.  He mentions that it could be had in either 8620 or 4140.   I could probably scan it and e-mail it to you if you'd like.  Let me know.          

Regards, Joe

IP Logged

jseines

Reply #3 - Mar 2nd, 2017 at 8:26pm
Print Post  
Thanks, any and all information will be good...it will be interesting what "Improved" means ?... Thanks again
John

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Mar 8th, 2017 at 3:52pm
Print Post  
Joe, this is SS:

Quote:
The Improved Hoch Action is available as a kit or as a finished action. Finished actions are available in in color case hardened S.A.E. 8620 polished heat treated S.A.E. 4140 (26 to 28 Rockwell C) or in 15-5 stainless steel.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

jfeldman
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #5 - Mar 8th, 2017 at 10:49pm
Print Post  
I have two of the flyers from USA Hoch kits - the first one says the actions are investment cast of either 4140 CM or 17-4 PH SS,  the second one says they are investment cast of 8620.  The eight actions bought by our club members were all 8620 and received in March 1989.

Regards, Joe

IP Logged

jseines

Reply #6 - Mar 10th, 2017 at 1:33pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the quick reply's...now getting ready to chamber and mount a Ron Smith Barrel 22-11.5 g-twist...plan is to chamber in .32 Miller Short...before chips start flying I have several questions: 1) what is the optimum barrel length for the 32 Miller Short ? 2) what is the optimum bullet weight for this gain-twist barrel 3) and do I need to worry about where the choke is located in the barrel ?...been down that path with rimfire barrels from other makers...
Again thought I would check'in with the experts before chips start flying...Thanks/John

IP Logged

desert-dude
Senior Forum Member

Reply #7 - Mar 12th, 2017 at 11:43am
Print Post  
Being cheap and living in an agriculture area I just go to the CA (controlled atmosphere) purveyors of charcoal. They gave me a lifetime supply; eg. 5 gal bucket.

As to hardness: it looks like the hardness (as cast) lands someplace between annealed and normalized. Apparently the castings don't cool quite as fast as they would in air and are therefore softer. 

With 8620 my preference would be to carburize at what ever time/temp you like: depending on desired depth of case (harris equation) then cool still in the charcoal.
Reheat ( for me that is a salt bath) and then quench in oil.
This gives better strength and crack resistance than a direct quench into water. 
However, you won't get the pretty colors either. ;-(

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint