Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Need some help on a low wall (Read 6582 times)
Ispy12
Participating Member

Need some help on a low wall
Feb 26th, 2017 at 6:38pm
Print Post  
First post from a long time lurker.  I am getting more into the older hiwalls and came across this.  1887 low wall, .32 wcf, 28" barrel.  Repaired wrist.  Tang sight is a recent incorrect add, but I am curious about the following.   
Front sight, I have one on an 1886 just like it.  Barrel sight has 3 leafs...looks legit but new to me.  Under barrel is marked 1 which is correct, ebony tip on forearm, but there seems like a lot of shrinking ahead of the receiver.  The barrel is very plumb color, more of a rust blue. I have heard of a rust finish but not seen one in person.  No hole behind the trigger for a single set...is that correct for a gun this early?
I am buying this rifle as a shooter and I am trying to establish price.  Tell me if you need specific pics of something as I have more....I thank you in advance for all the knowledge here on the forum.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) repair.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Ispy12
Participating Member

Re: Need some help on a low wall
Reply #1 - Feb 26th, 2017 at 6:45pm
Print Post  
more pics

IP Logged

chawk

Reply #2 - Feb 26th, 2017 at 6:54pm
Print Post  
Something is wrong with that forearm.  It shouldn't have that gap there.  The trigger is a standard trigger so there wont be anything for the set trigger.  The finish on the receiver should be case colored but either the case colors have all worn off to grey and then started to turn plum or someone refinished it.  The front sight is a nice sight but it is not original.  You haven't shown the rear sight but is sounds like an express sight.  That was certainly an option at Winchester but the odds are that it is not original.

IP Logged

Tom_Trevor assra life no.71
Oldtimer

Tom Trevor

Reply #3 - Feb 26th, 2017 at 7:18pm
Print Post  
Front sight is from Jeffs Outfitters and as he also sell an express multi leaf sight it would be a good bet they both came from there.

IP Logged

Ispy12
Participating Member

Reply #4 - Feb 26th, 2017 at 7:30pm
Print Post  
I can't resize the photos..I do but when I save they revert back.
here is the leaf sight and I am sorry for the size

IP Logged

bohemianway
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Feb 26th, 2017 at 7:50pm
Print Post  
Although the rear sight looks old I doubt it is original to the gun. Especially since in the photo it looks like there is evidence of the elevation slider wear on the barrel behind the sight in the proper place for the original sight.

GTalk  
IP Logged

chawk

Reply #6 - Feb 26th, 2017 at 8:18pm
Print Post  
I could certainly be wrong but I think the rear sight is original to the gun.  Neat.  You don't see many original express sights on a low wall.

IP Logged

830singleshot
Senior Forum Member

Reply #7 - Feb 26th, 2017 at 8:26pm
Print Post  
I like these early paneled low wall's with the tall block. I also like the 1/2 octagon barrel. I agree that the fore end does not match this barrel and apparently the butt stock also has problems.  To me, it's the start of a great project.  Keep in mind that by the time you replace the wood and (if needed) reline the bore you will be pretty deep into it and all it ever will be is a shooter.
My problem is I see the silk purse in every sow's ear and have the backlog of projects to prove it!

J. Scott McCash&&New Braunfels, TX&&830-237-2376&&jsmccash@yahoo.com

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #8 - Feb 26th, 2017 at 8:43pm
Print Post  
Front sight is a repro, but the rear is old. No idea if it's original or not, but it's not a repro. The vernier tang sight looks like a repro, and likely purchased from the same place as the front sight.
The gun has the early high breech block, and the half octagon barrel is a nice special order feature on any 1885. Can't tell what stocks look like, but the fit around the action isn't in great shape. If it's going to simply be a shooter, the stocks may be glass bedded and repaired to make them serviceable. 
Hopefully it has a good bore, as relining it can cost funds that could go towards a better gun.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Feb 26th, 2017 at 8:50pm
Print Post  
The Winchester 34 Express 3-leaf rear sight looks correct for the time period, but I tend to agree with bohemianway's observation that a Sporting Rear Sight had been installed originally.
As to the gap between the rear of the forearm and the receiver, I've seen that happen before on a few rifles that had been taken apart for a thorough cleaning, and then someone reinstalled the forearm stud into the barrel 180 degrees out from its original orientation. Winchester didn't always get the center of the forearm stud produced dead center to the dovetail it fits into.

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Feb 26th, 2017 at 9:54pm
Print Post  
I have one of the three-leaf sights, and it's Winchester allright. I agree that the one you have there is a replacement for an earlier sight. The other two are new. It's hard to tell, but the photo of the muzzle looks like there's a ding in it that might take a recrowning to remove. I'd buy it if the cost isn't too high.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Feb 27th, 2017 at 9:27am
Print Post  
830singleshot wrote on Feb 26th, 2017 at 8:26pm:
To me, it's the start of a great project.  Keep in mind that by the time you replace the wood and (if needed) reline the bore you will be pretty deep into it and all it ever will be is a shooter.
My problem is I see the silk purse in every sow's ear and have the backlog of projects to prove it!

You and me both, and if I'd acquired this 20 yrs ago (it's too late now!), the long process (2 yrs, probably) of restoring it would already have begun--because these early low-walls are scarce enough to deserve the expenditure, I think.

Folks spend much more than the restoration costs for this gun on new guns that will never be more than "shooters."  If there was a quality repro of this early model on the market, what would it have to sell for?  And no matter how well a repro is made, it just ain't the same!

IP Logged

Bigskybob

Reply #12 - Feb 27th, 2017 at 10:38am
Print Post  
Looks like a dangerous "put together" to me.  Forward the address of the seller and I will get it out here to the wild lands of Montana where it won't be able to hurt someone.
Bob

IP Logged

Ispy12
Participating Member

Reply #13 - Feb 27th, 2017 at 12:18pm
Print Post  
Thanks for all the replies.  I knew I could get solid information here. Some of it I knew but wanted to confirm, but much of what you guys tell me makes lots of sense.

I have no idea where to have the barrel lined and how much costs.  I like .32-20 and have lots of 92's and revolvers for it.  No 1885's as of yet.

So price.  What would be reasonable on this rifle with it's potential problems?  I have been told the fellow that owned it shot it without issue, but a bore this old with lots of black through it and improper cleaning could be troublesome.  No idea if it has been refinished but I am leaning towards no based on other old rifles from the big W that I have.  I tried to resize more pics.

IP Logged

Ispy12
Participating Member

Reply #14 - Feb 27th, 2017 at 12:19pm
Print Post  
another pic of the forearm gap

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint