Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Need some help on a low wall (Read 6600 times)
Ispy12
Participating Member

Re: Need some help on a low wall
Reply #15 - Feb 27th, 2017 at 12:28pm
Print Post  
the rifle

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Feb 27th, 2017 at 12:49pm
Print Post  
Ispy12 wrote on Feb 27th, 2017 at 12:18pm:

I have no idea where to have the barrel lined and how much costs. 

Varies with who's doing it, but maybe about $200; that however is the least of the cost of a total restoration. And "total" it has to be--can't refinish the metal and leave the wood as is, or refinish the wood and leave the metal as is, without creating an eyesore. 

IP Logged

coljimmy
Senior Forum Member

Reply #17 - Feb 27th, 2017 at 2:13pm
Print Post  
The front sight is a new sort-of copy of a beech sight, put on backwards, which some people liked it that way.  The rear sight is a nice original one.  I have seen that sight on lots of Winchesters including '94 saddle rings, usually busted on the well used rifles.  When folding up or down the leaves, be sure to use a thin knife blade inserted under the blade to put pressure on both sides of the sight blade.  They are notorious about breaking right down the middle.  I have taken broken ones off and replaced them.  I think the wood is original.

James

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Feb 27th, 2017 at 4:22pm
Print Post  
coljimmy wrote on Feb 27th, 2017 at 2:13pm:
They are notorious about breaking right down the middle.  I have taken broken ones off and replaced them.

James

I like the broken ones...because they're cheap (or should be), and make a good slot filler. Since this one has no business being there, Ispy would do well to sell it on ebay, which ought to bring $100 or more that could be applied toward a reline job, if he wants to have that done.

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Feb 27th, 2017 at 6:04pm
Print Post  
I say leave it- they're cool sights. I keep looking for an excuse to move mine to a different rifle, but since I can't see well enough to use any barrel sight it'll probably stay where it is. 
Good info about relieving the tension while raising or lowering the leaf, though. I guess I've been lucky so far. Thanks for that one. Wink

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Feb 27th, 2017 at 6:38pm
Print Post  
As CF noted that ding at the muzzle does appear to have intruded into the bore and it should be recognized for the benefit of establishing a fair price as it cannot be ignored if you plan to shoot with any success as is even if the barrel were prestine on the interior after having recieved a good and proper cleaning.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Ispy12
Participating Member

Reply #21 - Mar 6th, 2017 at 1:43pm
Print Post  
Time to seal this deal.  I got some decent pics of the bore and a close up of the crown.  The ding does not get into the rifling and the bore is very good considering age.  If I pay $1000 is that too much?  I have learned a lot here and I feel confident there has been no refinish, the no. 1 barrel is correct, and the bore is good.

Again, I want it as shooter to pair with some SW's and Win 92's.
I thought it would be fun to train the kids on.  I am seeing some guns sell in the $700 range but they are hammered.  Thanks for your thoughts guys.

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Mar 6th, 2017 at 2:55pm
Print Post  
That's a choice you need to make on yer own. It seems a little high, but I'm a cheeeeepskate, and haven't agreed to pay the seller's price many times. I would still say that muzzle is damaged and needing a refacing. 
That said, it's a desirable little rifle and would be fun to own- your decision. Good luck.

IP Logged

chawk

Reply #23 - Mar 6th, 2017 at 5:15pm
Print Post  
That seems a bit high to me given the wrist repair and curious forearm gap but the positives are: 

28 inch half octagon barrel
32 wcf
All of the sights

The sights are the real reason to buy that gun.  Given enough patience I am sure that you could find a nicer example for a grand.  But that gun wont come with $400+ of sights.

*The metal may be original but I would bet that the wood is refinished. 
« Last Edit: Mar 6th, 2017 at 5:20pm by chawk »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint