Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Anyone Hunting with their Single Shots? (Read 10776 times)
svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Anyone Hunting with their Single Shots?
Reply #30 - Mar 1st, 2017 at 1:36pm
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on Mar 1st, 2017 at 1:27pm:
Gris nice to see you posting about shooting for a welcomed change and thanks for sharing. 

JLouis

Hunting has been my primary use of guns since age 13, until a very bum leg caused me to try various types of target shooting. Now my old bod is busy reducing my ability for decent target scores, so, back to hunting only. Been a life-long member of the "one shot, one kill" rifle shooters, so, single shots are just fine. 

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #31 - Mar 1st, 2017 at 2:07pm
Print Post  
Beans, that's a durn sure nice mulie. Beats any I ever got- and I didn't use a muzzleloader.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #32 - Mar 1st, 2017 at 2:19pm
Print Post  
Gris. I used to hunt at Slater Creek Colo. are you familiar with that area. All though I had no intrest in shooting an Elk but was hunting for Trophy Mule deer here is a partial picture of the Elk herd that used to hang out every day accross from camp. Mike the local Warden who used to stop by and visit all the time said they estimated there were about a thousand head of Elk in that herd. They hung out on the Duncan Ranch and just below Long Mountain. Back in the day it only cost $50.00 to hunt on his ranch and we used to hunt the late season. The last I heard it was up to $2500.00 and probably even more by now?
It took three camera frames to try and get a panoramic view of the whole herd to show my grand children as they were still coming over the top of the mountain. I used to Love to hear them talking to each other and watching them graze when my hunting was done.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

JLouis
« Last Edit: Mar 1st, 2017 at 2:26pm by JLouis »  

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #33 - Mar 1st, 2017 at 3:15pm
Print Post  
That is too many to gt with a single shot John. You will need help or a automatic repeater  Cheesy

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #34 - Mar 1st, 2017 at 3:52pm
Print Post  
Would have been like shooting dairy cattle Bob. Cow tags could be bought over the counter and all though I had no intrest in shooting one we had a large family in our group that would end up with more than they could use or room to get back home. A father with three sons and nephew who would end up with 5 deer and 5 cow elk or at times a bull or two. So we myself and my uncle and my hunting partner would haul back all we could handle for them and would be gifted a cow elk for our efforts. A half for him and a half for me and the best meat I have ever had the pleasure to eat hands down.

JLouis

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #35 - Mar 1st, 2017 at 4:43pm
Print Post  
Schuetzenmiester wrote on Mar 1st, 2017 at 1:12pm:
Chris C wrote on Mar 1st, 2017 at 1:00pm:
I know, firsthand, that Brent Danielson hunts with his single shots................and uses paper patched bullets and black powder.

Is Brent on this site?

Yes, I believe he occasionally posts under "BrentD"

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #36 - Mar 1st, 2017 at 4:46pm
Print Post  
Great picture of the elk herd John! I love seeing that, even if it's an area I can't hunt. Just neat to see them thriving and in such large numbers!

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #37 - Mar 1st, 2017 at 5:23pm
Print Post  
Vall very beautiful animals and I was always impressed with their stamina. This poor ole cow elk came by me one time and I would assume someone had tried shooting her with her tongue just about hanging out. It was pretty tall country and she was headed down hill at a pretty good trot and of course when she reached the bottom it was then back uphill. I watched her crest the top of that pretty steep mountain and she had to be a mile away by that time or possibly more and she never broke her stride. When we first started hunting there deer were more than plentiful and the elk some what scarce and by my last year going there that role had already switched and the over abundance of elk were already starting to push the deer out. That only took about six years time and the year I lost my uncle and hunting partner and he a close friend that we join there and I have never gone back.

JLouis

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #38 - Mar 1st, 2017 at 7:48pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Mar 1st, 2017 at 4:43pm:
Schuetzenmiester wrote on Mar 1st, 2017 at 1:12pm:
Chris C wrote on Mar 1st, 2017 at 1:00pm:
I know, firsthand, that Brent Danielson hunts with his single shots................and uses paper patched bullets and black powder.

Is Brent on this site?

Yes, I believe he occasionally posts under "BrentD"

thanks

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #39 - Mar 1st, 2017 at 7:52pm
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on Mar 1st, 2017 at 3:52pm:
Would have been like shooting dairy cattle Bob. 
JLouis

Not after the first shot  Cheesy  You could put one up in the air to get the sport started.

Sorry to hear you hunting pard and friend are gone.

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #40 - Mar 1st, 2017 at 11:58pm
Print Post  
JLouis - I am familiar with the Slater Creek area of Colorado, used to hunt that area back in the seventies. That was long ago in a galaxy far, far away. As you said very few elk back then and thankfully a like number of humans. The deer were plentiful, beautiful country, heaven on earth, to  my way of thinking. Change is NOT always good! Those places still exist, just have to hoof it a little farther to reach them, unfortunately age has made it a bit more difficult to pull that off, but I had my time in paradise and am thankful. I am sure you feel the same.  Krag

rkba2nd

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #41 - Mar 2nd, 2017 at 5:10pm
Print Post  
JLouis,

Never hunted elk in Colorado, only in The Bob (Bob Marshall Wilderness) in Montana -- but that was well after any of the best hunting there, although I did fill all tags with good eating critters. In Colorado it has been mostly waterfowl, with some turkey hunting. 

Used to do a lot of desert quail hunting on San Carlos Reservation (Apache) in southern Arizona during years when they had plenty of rain to support large flocks of Gambles quail and smaller ones of scaled quail. 

IF you have gobs of money going to waste and want a huge set of elk antlers for your den (make sure it has a high ceiling!) take one of the guided hunts on the part of San Carlos where they grow big elk.

By the way, should you want a place in southern AZ to hunt and not worry much about "non-hunters", San Carlos seems like a nice place. In several years of hunting desert quail there (in fall, after snake season) I never saw a single "wetback". Maybe they did not want to mess with Apache law enforcement folks that patrol the area.

IP Logged

Ispy12
Participating Member

Reply #42 - Mar 6th, 2017 at 1:49pm
Print Post  
It's too bad the Colorado DOW is such a mess...it is tough to draw tags for us residents.  The seasons are ridiculous and I have not drawn a tag in years.
I used to fill deer and elk tags yearly on public land...and with my 1885 in .45-70.

I have about given up on drawing tags here and much of our hunting party is now paying to go out of state.  It stinks because Colorado is FULL of game.

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #43 - Mar 6th, 2017 at 2:32pm
Print Post  
Does the Colorado DOW generate more revenue by selling out-of-state tags and licenses?

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint