Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Anyone Hunting with their Single Shots? (Read 10757 times)
Old_No7

Anyone Hunting with their Single Shots?
Feb 26th, 2017 at 6:37pm
Print Post  
I'm curious if anyone else here hunts with their single shots?

Maybe with the .45-70's, -90's or other hyphenated cartridges for big game?

As for me, I'm down at the other end of the scale, as I use my .17 Low Wall for small game -- fox and bobcat, mostly.

Here's my Miroku Low Wall in 17HMR out in the woods early last fall:

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

And here's another woods pix, with a "speed loader" on the side of the action.  That is made in Australia (sold on ebay) and sticks securely with a high-strength magnet, although I do put a small piece of electrical tape on the magnet's face to prevent any scratches.  It works really well, and keeps some extra rounds very handy:

And here she is all set for this Tuesday morning -- the last day of fox season for this year.  I've been hunting with a shotgun, dressed in snow camo since Jan 1st... But it's been so warm lately, while we do still have some snow on the ground, I'll wear snow camo pants and use brown camp upper -- and take the Low Wall.  It's now covered with that breathable non-stick camo wrap (sticks to itself only, but I do use black electrical tape to secure it in several places) they sell at Cabela's and other retailers.

Anyone else bag any game with their single shots?

Tight groups.

Old No7

"Freedom and the Second Amendment...  One cannot exist without the other."  © 2000 DTH&&

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Anyone Hunting with their Single Shots?
Reply #1 - Feb 26th, 2017 at 6:40pm
Print Post  
I did if flintlocks count  Cheesy

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

Jeff_Schultz
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #2 - Feb 26th, 2017 at 7:59pm
Print Post  
  I shot over a dozen sparrows with a "Favorite" last year.

"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo

“There is no situation so bad that it cannot be made worse."

Confidence- The feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Feb 26th, 2017 at 8:02pm
Print Post  
I've used a couple for pest removal.  If you call that hunting.   I have a 17 MachIV/ as renamed 17 Rem. Fireball now In the smallest f the FBW actions----not sure which number it is that I have used to  ret rid of problem Coons and Woodchucks that persisting in digging around the foundations of my sisters house.   I have used A couple 22rf, one in a nice oid nickled Ballard that was rebarreled with a Hart barrel by an old friend who gave it to me as a gift, and a rebarrellerd and nicely restocked Rem Rollr #2 for general to thin the starlings that get into the black wild cherry trees and deposit purple crap over everything and the occasional red squirrel  I've also used a martini refitted with a tight Anschutz barrel in the 22 hornet, with cast bullets for small game. 
  I have a Ruger #1 in 220 swift on loan to a friend who used it for the coyotes his farm and woods are plagued with.   his wife is an animal lover who feeds the deer birds and everything else.  but she saw coyotes taking down a fawn a couple springs ago and has an absolute hatred of coyotes.   His old lever deer rifle didn't have that range---- And she wouldn't let him shoot IT there anyway.  so I loaned him the Swift--I may have a tough time getting it back. 

I'm working on a custom Ruger #1 project with Steve Durren.  It's  reworked another 45-70 with the barrel set back and rechambered for a Michigan-legal 1.8 inch long "straight-walled" "pistol case-----A'la 460 Rem magnum but for 458 rifles bullets rather that 452 pistol bullets. that will give me a rifle that is legal to hunt deer with in the southern half of the Michigan-Mitten and Indiana---both areas that were shotgun only until this new law a couple years ago.

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #4 - Feb 26th, 2017 at 8:45pm
Print Post  
I've hunted mule deer and elk with my single shots. Successfully on mule deer, but no elk yet.

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Feb 26th, 2017 at 9:40pm
Print Post  
Years back I took my high wall in .30 US deer hunting. Shot a blacktail north of Yuba City. It was to celebrate the rifle's hundredth birthday. 1895-1995. Only time I did it.

IP Logged

JS47
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Feb 26th, 2017 at 9:47pm
Print Post  
I hunted moose last year with my 45-70 Rolling Block. I hunted, and hunted, and hunted but didn't get a shot.  I have killed two deer with a Rolling Block and a few coyotes with my Ruger #3 in 22 Hornet.

JS

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Feb 26th, 2017 at 10:01pm
Print Post  
Jeff_Schultz wrote on Feb 26th, 2017 at 7:59pm:
  I shot over a dozen sparrows with a "Favorite" last year.

Mere small game; my 44 with a full-length Stevens scope rid the world of twice that many of the evil-eyed Grackles which terrorize my feeders during the summer; and to add insult to injury, I let the coons that also pester me devour their carcasses overnight.

IP Logged

Bulseyetom
Oldtimer

Reply #8 - Feb 26th, 2017 at 10:39pm
Print Post  
I have hunted with single shots for close to 20 years.  My go to rifle has been a 25-06 B-78 which has accounted for many mule deer and antelope and one feral hog.  I have a Ruger #1 in 7mm Ack Krag that I now use for hogs as the 25-06 was almost too small a bullet.  The 7mm Krag has accounted for 3 hogs now.  Last year I had a Stevens 44 1/2 rebarreled to a 25-35 and used it to bag an antelope and a nice mule deer in Wyoming.  I packed a B-78 in 300 H&H to Wyoming later in the year for an elk hunt but never pulled the trigger.  I am currently having my 219 Zipper Borchardt rebarreled to a 30-40 Krag for my elk hunt this fall.  I too have a low wall in 17 hmr but my 044 1/2 in 218 bee gets the call most of the time.  I have a Ruger #1 in 222 and a B-78 in 6mm that I am debating whether to rebarrel to some sort of a 40 caliber or I could also just get another barrel for my 44 1/2.  One can never have enough single shot rifles.   Grin  Tom

Twitter  
IP Logged

Joe_S
Oldtimer

Reply #9 - Feb 26th, 2017 at 10:42pm
Print Post  
My hunting has been restricted to single shots for most of the last 15 years, .54 cal Hawken, 45-70 Sharps and 45-70 Springfield trapdoor. Have shot several deer with each, mostly at 75-125 yds. 45-70 is big medicine on whitetail deer, never needed a second shot. I did need a second shot with the Hawken once, but the deer wasn't going anywhere so it was no problem to re-load and finish the job. 
One problem is that with iron sights, you cant shoot until well after the season opens because you don't have enough light. 
I never felt I was at a disadvantage with any of the rifled I hunted with, just have to pick your shots carefully and know what you can do and what ;you cannot do. 
Joe S

IP Logged

ballardhepburnmich
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #10 - Feb 26th, 2017 at 11:41pm
Print Post  
Single shots have done about 90% of my hunting since I was 10 yrs. old.
Stevens, Ballards, Wesson, Winchester, Maynard, Ruger, and rolling blocks Remington, Whitney, and Smith, Allen and Thurber, and last but not least Wufflein.
Lee

IP Logged

desert-dude
Senior Forum Member

Reply #11 - Feb 27th, 2017 at 1:34am
Print Post  
A few single shots. 
Stevens Favorite in .22LR for small game. Ruger #1 in .375 H&H but loaded to .38-55 
ballistics for deer and bear. H&R Handi-rifle in 30-30 for deer. Also have a Ruger #1
with GM barrel in 7mm-08 done by S. Durren. Really nice but has not been hunting yet.

I'm working on a stock for a FBW in 7mm-07. Progress is slow since I really don't 
do well at wood.
The Favorite has the original sights. The others have Leupold 1.5x5
VXII or VXIII's since my eyesight isn't quite what it used to be. The stickpin fire
wiped my traditional hunting area; after 55+ years of hunting the same area it is hard
to change. Hunted the Selkirks last fall. Did OK; there is venison in the freezer again.

IP Logged

sharps4590

Reply #12 - Feb 27th, 2017 at 6:55am
Print Post  
I can't say I hunt exclusively with a single shot as there's a couple svelte Mannlicher/Schoenauer's and pre-war Mausers plus a couple double rifles and a few drillings that beg to be used.  'Course I guess the drillings could all be considered single shots for the rifle barrel.

I've taken game with the 45-70, 40-70 and a pile of it with a 45-90 all in Shiloh Sharps rifles.  There's a Bartels on an Ideal action in 8.15 X 46R that's taken some smallish game, an Outschar stalking rifle in 9.3 X 62R, the straight tapered BP cartridge, not the 9.3 X 62 thumper, a Jeffery Rook rifle re-lined and re-chambered to 25-20 WCF.  Drillings are; 7 X 57R, 9.3 X 75R Nimrod, 9 X 57R and one that I call a 9 X 30US because it has been re-chambered from whatever it was originally and was done on the 30-40 Krag case.  Oh, there's a Cody Rifle Works Ballard in 45-100 in the toy box but it hasn't been blooded.

IP Logged

notlwonk

Reply #13 - Feb 27th, 2017 at 7:25am
Print Post  
2 or 3 deer with a 38-55 Hiwall and one with a Trapdoor. Carried a 38-55 Ballard and a 38-40 Hiwall a couple times but no luck.

IP Logged

singleshotsam
Oldtimer

Reply #14 - Feb 27th, 2017 at 7:55am
Print Post  
I have used a Ruger #1 in 45-70 since first starting big game hunting. My favorite small game rifles are a custom Martini 12/15 and a Ruger #3 in a wildcat 22/380 ACP. In the last five years I have used a Martini in 25-35 a roller in 38-50 and another #1 in 6.5X55 Swede. I find it a lot more rewarding hunting with the single shots than a bolt action.

SSS

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint