Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) .22 ss (Read 6124 times)
uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: .22 ss
Reply #15 - Feb 28th, 2017 at 6:51am
Print Post  
Stevens most certainly did acquire Mass Arms, hence the appearance of the "Maynard Junior" boys' rifle, and maybe an influence on the Models 12 and 101.   

One facet of this might be the change of management in 1896. Irving Page was obviously a go-go salesman/entrepreneur, who might have been inclined to shade the truth from time to time, or have induced his underlings to do so.  And of course cut-throat competition was no stranger in that time, no matter what the industry.   

BTW I cannot find that picture.  (Of course, now that I want it.)

<div class=

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Feb 28th, 2017 at 8:52am
Print Post  
BP wrote on Feb 28th, 2017 at 2:32am:
If Stevens did acquire those Mass. Arms assets, they may have figured they had obtained some rights (even if tenuous) to catalog some claim to the 25-20 cartridge.

WRA's lack of even a "tenuous" claim didn't interfere with their calling the chambering, originally, a WCF cartridge, which was certainly meant to imply that it was proprietary like other WCFs; though that bit of effrontery came back to bite them when they designed the 25-20 repeater cartridge!

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Feb 28th, 2017 at 11:49am
Print Post  
Hmm.  So you're suggesting that those WCF marked barrels deliberate, rather than a mistake.  That hadn't even crossed my mind.  But knowing how businessmen today lay claim to others' technology, (Gates stealing Apple's GUI comes to mind), it's certainly more than plausible.

<div class=

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Feb 28th, 2017 at 12:02pm
Print Post  
uscra112 wrote on Feb 28th, 2017 at 11:49am:
Hmm.  So you're suggesting that those WCF marked barrels deliberate, rather than a mistake.

No "mistake"--that was the standard marking before the repeater cartridge came along to complicate things.  Since I made my own mistake by not checking the chamber of the low-wall I bought (of course, chambering any live cartridge at a show is not exactly encouraged!), I've seen or heard of many others.

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Feb 28th, 2017 at 3:33pm
Print Post  
There's already been previous posts about Maynard having used a "thick rim" of about 1/16" thickness on their 25-20 cases, while WRA and other cartridge manufacturers used a thinner rim of around 0.050" on their 25-20 SS cases.
Could you have chambered a thick rimmed Maynard case in the 1885 and closed the action, or would you have been required to use the thinner rimmed "25 WCF" cartridge case in the 1885?

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint