Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Mystery Schuetzen Rifle? (Read 10920 times)
sharps4590

Re: Mystery Schuetzen Rifle?
Reply #30 - Mar 14th, 2017 at 8:03am
Print Post  
That slow a twist, another interesting element to the mystery.

I've read quite a bit about muzzleloaders from approximately that era but am definitely not what one could consider an expert.  Ordinarily twists that slow were generally for heavy powder charges, were they not?  Forsyth did extensive work with slow twists and Baker comments on them and heavy charges.  I've also read that more often than not the old German/Austrian smiths used one turn in the length of the barrel which gave some of the old Jaeger's a rather quick twist for round balls.  So many questions, so few answers.  Still, they none change the fact that the rifle is exceedingly nice.

IP Logged

ballardhepburnmich
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #31 - Mar 14th, 2017 at 12:06pm
Print Post  
You probably will all think I am crazy , but  I think Belgian for the import trade. They made and copied every type of firearm around.  The reason I think Belgian is because the outer visable work is very nicely done but the inner work that you would not normally see is quite crude, a typically Belgian trate. I have seen several guns of this hunting target type like this that were made in Belgium for import to the U.S. for a cheaper alternative.  The crude finish (rough file marks) on the internals are  not typical  of American or German gunsmiths of that time period.
Lee

IP Logged

Lefty38-55
Senior Forum Member

Reply #32 - Mar 14th, 2017 at 9:57pm
Print Post  
frnkeore wrote on Feb 26th, 2017 at 12:21pm:
Another take on it, maybe someone, late in there apprenticeship, is the reason that it's not signed.

That's what I was going to suggest, as a friend here in town has about 3 of the most beautiful single shots, of which we believe were all German made, and only the centerfire one in 7x57 (looks like a German 'Farquarson') has proof marks on it, but no makers mark.

I would say that is was an apprentice build gun. Remember, apprentices spent a year on the bench with nothing but a file - no machine tools.

All of my single shots shoot one tiny ragged hole with cast bullets ... it's just the following shots that tend to open up my groups Wink ...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint