Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Ballard Pacific, Schuetzen Style (Read 10216 times)
frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballard Pacific, Schuetzen Style
Feb 11th, 2017 at 6:14pm
Print Post  
This is one of my nicest rifle, I bought it about 2006 but, I've only shot it once. The caliber is  40/63 and the barrel is very nice but, not perfect. It has minor pitting in front of the chamber. I have the original partrige that came with it. The rails that you see on it, I installed to be able to shoot it with iron sights. 

The rifle was built in Redding CA, I found the names of two owners (not able to contact them though) but, I couldn't find out who actually built it and did the stock work.

I would like a opinion on whether the but stock is Ballard, it looks a little like the small Barrard Schuetzen butt plate to me but, I'm buy no means a expert on ballards.

I bought a new Ballard extractor and I'm hoping to rebarrel this rifle to either 28/20 Rabbath or 25/20SS.

Frank
« Last Edit: Feb 11th, 2017 at 8:04pm by frnkeore »  

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Ballard Pacific, Schuetzen Style
Reply #1 - Feb 11th, 2017 at 6:54pm
Print Post  
Looks like a Ballard plate to me (also used on early '85s, so it was probably supplied by a common sub-contractor).  Pacifics normally had crescent plates, but makes little difference on a restocking job I guess. Nice to see the wiping rod wasn't forgotten when it was re-stocked.

By the way, if the bore is nice, and the numbers match, I'm not so sure rebarreling is a good idea. You're probably thinking, "what's the harm is I keep the original barrel," but somewhere down the line, loose parts always get separated.
« Last Edit: Feb 11th, 2017 at 7:08pm by Redsetter »  

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Feb 11th, 2017 at 7:26pm
Print Post  
I want to shoot this rifle competitively and I can't take recoil anymore. My plan is to keep the barrel and if I sell it or my wife sells it after I'm gone, to put the original barrel back on it. I would have any problem selling the barrel that I'll install.

The rifle begs to be shot and I'm hearing it Smiley

Frank

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Feb 11th, 2017 at 7:43pm
Print Post  
frnkeore wrote on Feb 11th, 2017 at 7:26pm:
I want to shoot this rifle competitively and I can't take recoil anymore. Frank

Well, I agree shooting a .40-63 with this plate would get one's immediate attention!   

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #4 - Feb 11th, 2017 at 7:43pm
Print Post  
I don't believe it's a Ballard stock Frank. Ballard put some straight grip stocks on pistol gripped receivers like the #6 Schuetzen, and the early #6 1/2 Rigby rifles. But they did not put pistol gripped stocks on straight grip receivers. The stock is well made, and nicely checkered, so done by a skilled craftsman, but not by Marlin.
Marlin stocks and buttplates are all serial numbered to their guns. On a Ballard the buttstock has the serial number stamped on the mating edge to the receiver, so removing the stock and looking ta that end will show a serial number. If it came off a pistol grip Ballard, and was refitted to your Ballard, it will have a mismatched serial number there. Buttplates have the serial number on the inside, so removing the plate will reveal if it's Ballard, or if it matches the stock's serial number.

Marlin made some rare Pacific models with pistol grip frames. I have a friend who has two of them, and one is marked "Browning Bros. Ogden, Utah" on the barrel. Both of his are plain, uncheckered wood. Both of his also have a loop lever, as usually used on PG receivers/stocks.

This is the standard Marlin Ballard buttplate. And my Rigby is also in .40-63! I load a 350 grain bullet to around 1350 fps, and it's not abusive at all shooting offhand. 

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
« Last Edit: Feb 11th, 2017 at 7:52pm by marlinguy »  

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Feb 11th, 2017 at 8:08pm
Print Post  
Quote:
The rifle was built in Redding CA, I found the names of two owners (not able to contact them though) but, I couldn't find out who actually built it and did the stock work.

Vall, it was not my assertion that it's a Ballard stock. I was only asking if the butt plate might be a original Ballard, small schuetzen.

Frank

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

kootne
Senior Forum Member

Reply #6 - Feb 11th, 2017 at 9:16pm
Print Post  
Hi Frank, that is nice looking rifle and a very well done stock but I don't think your buttplate came factory on a Ballard, the lines are not quite right. There should be more arc in the center. 

Dennis

You can't make good decisions without good information.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #7 - Feb 12th, 2017 at 11:28am
Print Post  
frnkeore wrote on Feb 11th, 2017 at 8:08pm:
Quote:

Vall, it was not my assertion that it's a Ballard stock. I was only asking if the butt plate might be a original Ballard, small schuetzen.

Frank

Yes, I knew you weren't thinking it was a Ballard. Redsetter said it was a Ballard buttplate, so my reply was responding to that.

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Feb 12th, 2017 at 12:28pm
Print Post  
I'm sorry, Vall. I re-read my post and I did say "but stock", what I ment to say was butt plate.

Frank

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #9 - Feb 12th, 2017 at 7:34pm
Print Post  
No problem at all Frank. Hope I wasn't out of line.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Jun 15th, 2017 at 4:56am
Print Post  
Please allow me to revive this almost-zombie thread.  My question is germane.

A few days ago I picked up a very sorry-looking Marlin #2 at an auction, because a.) the breechblock looked good, and I need a sound one for my "Bitza Ballard" .28-30 project, and b.) I thought I could use the crescent buttplate, ugly as it was, on the nice buttstock that I have in the kit.  Not so.  The #2 buttplate is taller than my wood.   

Am I correct in hoping that there are only two sizes, "small" and "large" as implied by this thread?  If this wood is "small", do I stand any chance of finding a replica that will fit?

<div class=

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #11 - Jun 15th, 2017 at 10:24am
Print Post  
uscra112 wrote on Jun 15th, 2017 at 4:56am:
Please allow me to revive this almost-zombie thread.  My question is germane.

A few days ago I picked up a very sorry-looking Marlin #2 at an auction, because a.) the breechblock looked good, and I need a sound one for my "Bitza Ballard" .28-30 project, and b.) I thought I could use the crescent buttplate, ugly as it was, on the nice buttstock that I have in the kit.  Not so.  The #2 buttplate is taller than my wood.  

Am I correct in hoping that there are only two sizes, "small" and "large" as implied by this thread?  If this wood is "small", do I stand any chance of finding a replica that will fit?

If it's a crescent buttplate, then there is no "small and large" style. There is the early Brown Mfg. leftover crescent buttplates that were what John Marlin used up when he first started producing Ballard rifles, and the standard crescent that was used throughout year two and the rest of production. 
The early Brown buttplates have a very deep curve to the crescent.
The schuetzen or Swiss style are mostly Union Hill small Farrow like my Rigby shown above. They are seen more than any other style. But the #6 Schuetzen has a larger variety of Swiss buttplates made. Early #6 had a very Germanic look and were quite large and heavy. Later were lighter, and more Americanized. I've seen about 4 different versions on a #6 Ballard.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Jun 15th, 2017 at 10:52am
Print Post  
Thanks, Vall.   This is the piece of wood.  Does it tell you anything?   I'm pretty ignorant all around, and Ballards are by no means my best subject.

Phil

<div class=

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #13 - Jun 15th, 2017 at 10:17pm
Print Post  
Well Phil, I can tell you one thing....that's not cut for a Ballard crescent buttplate. The return on top is too short, and may be for a Winchester with the short top return piece. Win. had two styles with long or short top return piece.
Since it's a custom stock, whoever made it likely fitted it for whatever donor buttplate they had at the time.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Jun 15th, 2017 at 10:36pm
Print Post  
OK, that's what I needed to know.  Thanks!  One never stops learning.    I don't have all that much $$ in it, so it's no great loss if I have to put it aside.  I kinda like it, though.  It's a good fit to my face for iron sights.  With some deep cleaning and repair I can use the wood from the #2 wreck in the meantime. 

I'm so close - the #2 breechblock assembly fits nicely and is in very good condition inside and out - all it needed was a new firing pin. A surprise considering the rest of the gun.  Gotta trim the barrel a few thou to get the lockup right, and it can be function fired at least.    That reminds me - did Ballard clock the barrel threads?  This .28-30 barrel screws up just right, even though it came from who-knows-where.  (It's not even a Ballard barrel; it's a Stevens that somebody put a sleeve on to make it fit a Ballard. Its' acquisition was the start of this whole saga, some 15 years ago.)
Phil

<div class=

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint