Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Hopkins and Allen 22s (Read 3586 times)
oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Hopkins and Allen 22s
Feb 4th, 2017 at 6:29pm
Print Post  
I was looking at a real nice 922 in a shop yesterday and was surprised to see that the extractor was at 6 o'clock whereas the one on my 1922 is at 9. My gunsmith has mine for relining but I'm thinking the firing pin strikes at 6. I would think that having the firing pin strike over the extractor supported rim might not be best place unless the extractor was very carefully fitted which might not be the case in an inexpensive rifle. Thoughts?
« Last Edit: Feb 5th, 2017 at 3:29pm by oneatatime »  

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Hopkins and Allen 22s
Reply #1 - Feb 4th, 2017 at 7:57pm
Print Post  
I've owned several, they work fine.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Feb 4th, 2017 at 11:14pm
Print Post  
Uncounted gazillions of Stevens Favorites and Model 44s were that way.  Ignition is only a problem if extractor isn't fitted properly. As in "don't cut the recess too deep!".    

My gripe with the H&A extractor at 6 o'clock is that it doesn't pull the case out far enough.   

<div class=

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Feb 5th, 2017 at 1:09am
Print Post  
uscra112 wrote on Feb 4th, 2017 at 11:14pm:
Uncounted gazillions of Stevens Favorites and Model 44s were that way.  Ignition is only a problem if extractor isn't fitted properly. As in "don't cut the recess too deep!".    

My gripe with the H&A extractor at 6 o'clock is that it doesn't pull the case out far enough.  

My grip with the 7 o'clock extrator is that the cases drop into the action and get bound up. OH, it's as much of a problem but, BR it is. It's hard to turn the rifle over to dunp the case with a scope mounted. Even OH if the case drops behing the BB it won't come out, creating problems.

They should have been designed with a ejector.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Feb 5th, 2017 at 1:28am
Print Post  

If your 6 o'clock extractor is actuated by contact with the bottom of the breech block as it drops downward, make a new extractor that is actuated by the movement of the lever.
Time it right so that the stiff lever spring can "snap" the upper part of the lever against the back side of the extractor just as the lever reaches the end of its travel, and a non-sticking 22 LR case can end up being popped clear of the chamber.

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Feb 5th, 2017 at 3:58am
Print Post  
Oh, thanks.  Now I'm going to be awake until dawn working that out.........

<div class=

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Feb 5th, 2017 at 4:02am
Print Post  
frnkeore wrote on Feb 5th, 2017 at 1:09am:

My grip with the 7 o'clock extrator is that the cases drop into the action and get bound up. OH, it's as much of a problem but, BR it is. It's hard to turn the rifle over to dunp the case with a scope mounted. Even OH if the case drops behing the BB it won't come out, creating problems.

They should have been designed with a ejector.

Frank

Frank, are you really shooting benchrest with a Hopkins & Allen?

<div class=

IP Logged

moodyholler
Oldtimer

Reply #7 - Feb 5th, 2017 at 12:56pm
Print Post  
Having owned part of the original instructions for a H and A rifle, they stated, "Place the thumb behind the back of the lever and snap down sharply, thus ejecting case clear of the action. ". I will post a picture for you to see later. moodyholler

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Feb 5th, 2017 at 1:13pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Frank, are you really shooting benchrest with a Hopkins & Allen?

It was my first target 22, I bought it in '86. I then bought a Douglas XX barrel blank, milled it 1 1/16" octagon (wider that the receiver) and a SAMMI match chamber. "It will shoot" as they say on Forged in Fire Smiley It was also the first rifle that i breech seated.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint