Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) .22 cal Uberti for BPCR? (Read 4422 times)
Roscoe
Participating Member

.22 cal Uberti for BPCR?
Feb 4th, 2017 at 4:22pm
Print Post  
I do not know anything regarding Uberti rifles.  Would the Uberti be considered alright for shooting BPCR Silhouette?  After looking over the past records posting from the national matches in New Mexico, I've never seen a Uberti listed.

IP Logged

4060may

Re: .22 cal Uberti for BPCR?
Reply #1 - Feb 4th, 2017 at 4:49pm
Print Post  
I have one and shoot BPCR 22lr Sil. with it
mine is fine, but if I did not get is wholesale and had to buy it now I would buy the C Sharps Low wall in 22LR with a SS Trigger
two of my friends bought a Uberti because mine worked so well theirs did not, one the chamber was too deep the other had to cut an inch off the muzzle to get good rifling

if you can handle it and look carefully, might be fine

on my second case of ammo and finally broke a firing pin..2 days from Taylor inc..
good luck

IP Logged

hwshooter

Reply #2 - Feb 7th, 2017 at 6:44pm
Print Post  
I've had two one good one bad. First one had a bad chamber, Taylor's sent another one. Had Butch U recrown barrel and it shot fine after that. Broke firing pin tho and was a year getting a new one. Shooting buddy made me one to get by until the new ones arrived. If you should get one get a 1/2 dozen firing pins. I sold it to another shooter and he's broke a couple pins too. Over the years I've owned 4 Ubertis 2 were good 2 were not. 50 percent not that good for what guns cost now days.  My 2 cents.Mike

IP Logged

Hiwall55
Senior Forum Member

Reply #3 - Feb 7th, 2017 at 7:24pm
Print Post  
I put a single set trigger on mine and never broke firing pins but I had to cut the barrel down and recrown the barrel to get the accuracy out of it.  Was 6 inches at 100 with 26 inch barrel and a good crown now a 1 1/2 shooter at 100 yds.

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Feb 7th, 2017 at 7:55pm
Print Post  
There is a High Wall Winder of proven accuracy listed For Sale on this forum.  That one is more expensive up front, but it will do the job.

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Feb 7th, 2017 at 8:20pm
Print Post  
just a general comment:   it appears that our accepted standards of QC have not transferred well to many off-shore manufacturers   Swiss and British, Scandinavian, German and some FN Browning fire-arms are exceptions 
  I know the Italians can craft very fine shot guns, But it seems to me they cut their teeth on rifles and pistols churning out "replicas" for the civil war and later Rev War reenactors; as long as it went "BANG" and generated a cloud of smoke it sufficed.   even high dollar Pedersoli special production replicas an be problematical.  the look nice but it seems like some shoot well and others do not---and IF you have problems you get lost in the never-never land of smoke and obfuscation between dealers, importers and the mfg.
  Miroku did an excellent job with the BPCR and Creedmoor---but those were practically custom built and used Badger barrels--- other versions of the single shots are hit-and-miss when it comes to accuracy  more so with recent production.   

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

Hayface

Reply #6 - Feb 7th, 2017 at 8:54pm
Print Post  
Gents, 

A group of us shoot BPCR silhouette with the Uberti DST PG low walls (various importers) and they are very competitive. I had to cut an inch off mine to get rid of some really ugly gouges in the rifling at the muzzle.  Although a used rifle when I got it, bluing in the gouges revealed that those gouges were there when it left the factory.  I suspect that's why the other fella got rid of it.  I didn't see them because of all the powder left in the bore of an otherwise excellent condition appearing rifle.  Caveat emptor.  With a 6x scope, it now consistently shoots an inch or just slightly over (occasionally much better) at 100 yards with the right ammo, but be aware that it is really picky about what ammo it will shoot.  Others I know with the same model rifle, report the same really finicky ammo preference.  Each of ours shoot something different best and ammo that shoots exceptionally well in one may be a splatter fest from another.  I'm the only one who had to cut the barrel back to get rid of an accuracy destroying problem.  It wouldn't shoot anything well until I got rid of that mess.  Only one broke a firing pin over the last 3 years, but everybody (but me) carries a couple spares.  Time to order some, I guess, because I know what will happen next time out if I don't.

By the way, be aware that the stock LOP is only 12 1/2 inches which is a bit short for a wiry guy my size.  I wish it had at least another 1 inch.

Hayface

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Feb 8th, 2017 at 7:21am
Print Post  
Hiwall55 wrote on Feb 7th, 2017 at 7:24pm:
I put a single set trigger on mine and never broke firing pins but I had to cut the barrel down and recrown the barrel to get the accuracy out of it.  Was 6 inches at 100 with 26 inch barrel and a good crown now a 1 1/2 shooter at 100 yds.

I would not consider 1 1/2 MOA at 100yd as acceptable accuracy for a rifle I planned to use to shoot at targets. Hunting...... yes. Targets...... no.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Feb 8th, 2017 at 9:15am
Print Post  
Quote:
Would the Uberti be considered alright for shooting BPCR Silhouette?
Yes, the Uberti 1875 is a replica of the Winchester 22LR HiWall and is 100% legal for any BPCR Silhouette match.  Buy the Deluxe model with the double set trigger - checkered hand grip and forearm. And the Uberti barrels are made by Pedersoli which are match grade barrels
The reason that you don't Uberti's in the match scores for the NRA Raton BPCR matches is because the top match shooters use Shiloh Sharps - C Sharps and origional 1885's primarily.  In fact any single shot 22LR that is within the NRA Silhouette regulation for approved period rifles are legal:  
Quote:
A hunting or military style rifle, single shot, originally made for black powder cartridges, of United States manufacture prior to 1896 and being typical of the era. Replicas thereof, regardless of origin of manufacture, are permitted. Hammer must be exposed. If replacement barrels, stocks, or other parts are used, they must be as original. No Schuetzen -style rifles permitted. One rifle will be used during all phases of the match. Examples of  permissible  rifles  are:  Ballard,  Buck,  Bullard,  Cole,  Farrow,  Maynard, Peabody,  Redfield,  Remington  Hepburn,  Remington Rolling Block, Sharps, Springfield Trapdoor, Stevens 10 Tip-up,  Stevens  No.  44,  Wesson  Falling  Block,  Wesson  (hinged  barrel), Whitney Phoenix, Whitney Rolling Block, Winchester 1885, and Wurfflein. 

IP Logged

kcajeel

Reply #9 - Feb 8th, 2017 at 10:40am
Print Post  
What John Boy just sent you: A hunting or military style rifle, single shot, originally made for black powder catrridges, of the United States manufacture prior to 1896 and being typical to the era. Etc. Etc., Stevens no. 44.

That describes it perfectly, get yourself a Stevens 417 Walnut Hill and kick butt.

I wasn't familiar with them and my shooting buddy just bought one about a week ago. To put it mild , I was sceptical of it. We shot it two days ago and what a pleasant surprise. I can't tell you group sizes because it is very cold, snowy, and nasty in northern Michigan right now, but it did remarkable.

It is a heavy rifle though, but shooting from a bench is was great. I wouldn't want to be shooting it offhand but maybe you're young and strong.

Good luck to you.

jack
YIM  
IP Logged

.22Hepburn
Oldtimer

Reply #10 - Feb 8th, 2017 at 1:28pm
Print Post  
The Uberti is legal for .22 BPCR Silhouette. FYI, the National match at Raton draws the top BP and .22 BPCR Sihouette shooters in the country and as far away as Australia. We typically have a good group of present and past National Champions competing. We also see some top Schuetzen shooters competing as well. I'd have to check the equipment list for exact numbers, but I expect that there aren't more than just a few Uberti rifles shot at last year's match. That's out of 120 shooters in the match. None of the top shooters use them. 

Dave Wiese
East Region Director
.22 BPCRA

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Feb 8th, 2017 at 3:53pm
Print Post  
Another excellent choice is the Stevens 414 military training rifle. If it has a good bore, just add good sights and immediately competitive for around $1000. 

While John Boy listed the Shiloh Sharps, they do not make a .22RF rifle. You would have to have either a 40cal or 45cal and either a Crossno or Shaver insert (both are very accurate) to shoot a Shiloh. C. Sharps offers both High Walls and Low Walls with SSTs. Not sure if they offer their 1874, 1875 or 1877 Sharps or Hepburns in .22RF. CPA also their Stevens repro 44 1/2 with a .22RF barrel, as does DZ Arms their Hepburn. As mentioned, there is a nice Winder Musket High Wall available in the classifieds.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint