Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Please help Identify (Read 2699 times)
norseman
Participating Member

Please help Identify
Feb 4th, 2017 at 8:12am
Print Post  
Won this at a local auction last night. Pretty rough shape and no numbers visible.

IP Logged

podufa

Re: Please help Identify
Reply #1 - Feb 4th, 2017 at 8:18am
Print Post  
looks like the remains of a Spencer

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Feb 4th, 2017 at 9:07am
Print Post  
butt / plate should have a hole up through it for the tubular magazine    popular in the civil war and thousands released as surplus shortly afterwards.    problem was it was mostly in a 44 rimfire cartridge  which limited its long term utility.

not sure but it seems to me that a 44 centerfire with typical bullets of the era , with a stacked tubular magazine in the butt, might have been one reason it never made the transition successfully

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

norseman
Participating Member

Reply #3 - Feb 4th, 2017 at 9:24am
Print Post  
Has the tube plug in, I soaked it with PB Blaster to see if it would loosen up.

IP Logged

George Babits
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Feb 4th, 2017 at 10:02am
Print Post  
Actually most were 56-56 rimfire; not 44 rimfire as someone mentioned.  There was a "sporting" rifle made which was 46 fimfire.  Many were converted to 56-50 after the Civil War and sent west for the Indian wars.  Centerfire conversion is simple with a replacement drop-in breech block.  Fun to shoot.  Horrible trigger pull.  Not noted for great accuracy either, but plenty of fire power in 1860's.   Still, fun to shoot.

George

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Feb 4th, 2017 at 5:07pm
Print Post  
My great-grandfather bought one (.56-50) and 3 bushels of cartridges for less than $5 when he came to this country in 1880.  He used it in his slaughterhouse.  It stayed in use until 1954, when my grandfather retired from the custom butchering business.  If it was cleaned, it was not often.  I was a freshman in high school when my grandfather sold the remaining cartridges (one bushel of them) for $100, which was about 5 % of the price of a new Chevy.

My uncle took the Spencer into the wilds of the UP.  We never saw it again.

IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Rheinisch-Westfälisc
hen Sprengstoff-Fabriken

Reply #6 - Feb 4th, 2017 at 5:30pm
Print Post  
Spencer Carbine aka "The Horizontal Shot Tower"
« Last Edit: Feb 4th, 2017 at 7:58pm by Schutzenbob »  

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Feb 4th, 2017 at 5:34pm
Print Post  
ABSOLUTLY CORRECT George  I KNEW that, but I'm recovering from some minor surgery so we can blame it on the meds Grin Grin  Had some interesting typos too. 

I must have been thinking of the fact that it and the Henry were the two that were successful deployed in  any quantity during the C.W. and the Spencer was probably the one with the greatest numbers.    I suspect it was the quick reload magazine tube.   but it never took off much after the war.-----and thinking about why.

were any of the larger bore single shot chambered for the spencer round?

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Feb 4th, 2017 at 6:23pm
Print Post  
If anyone has ever noticed the resemblance between the Spencer's lock and the Peabody's, I can tell you that the mainsprings will interchange. I haven't had the two locks side by side to compare but it wouldn't surprise me if they both came from the same source.

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Feb 4th, 2017 at 8:01pm
Print Post  
I suspect it was the quick reload magazine tube.

While the Henry held more rounds and was quicker to cycle, the Spencer, especially with a box full of Blakesley reloaders, may very likely have been technically quicker to reload.  However, most authorities claim the Henry's real performance bugaboo was the ease with which its open, under-barrel magazine could become dirt-clogged, bent, or otherwise if only temporarily inoperative.  Still, it was the Henry that earned the name "That damned Yankee rifle ...".  And of course it was also the Henry that provided the initial basis for the Winchester company.

If anyone has ever noticed the resemblance between the Spencer's lock and the Peabody's ....

I've never examined a Providence hammer-action Peabody, but I can opine both from reading and direct comparison that at least several lock parts were either subcontracted from Sharps or supplied by a subcontractor that Sharps and Spencer (and maybe Peabody?) shared.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint