Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Hornady's 325 gn plastic tip bullet (Read 9217 times)
jmh
Participating Member

Hornady's 325 gn plastic tip bullet
Feb 1st, 2017 at 3:11pm
Print Post  
Having some accuracy issues with Winchester high wall/45-70. My load is 27 gn 2400 & the 325 gn Hornady plastic tip jacketed bullet. HELP
I may have severe jacketed bullet fouling with the 325 Hornady. Takes about 5 rounds before this issues occur. My last time out was with a pristine bore and 5 rounds in my groups expanded tremendously. Cleaning patches were extremely difficult to get into bore afterwards with obvious brass wash at muzzle. I pulled these bullets from Hornady factory ammo. My old shoulder wont stand the 2100 fps factory load. Just wondering.

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Hornady's 325 gn plastic tip bullet
Reply #1 - Feb 1st, 2017 at 4:49pm
Print Post  
Sweets will get the copper out sure enough. 
What I'm wondering is how it got so much in five shots to make a patch hard to start.
I got rifles that have hundreds and hundreds through 'em that'll take a patch if I ever get around to doing it.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Feb 1st, 2017 at 8:30pm
Print Post  
Does that condom bullet fill the groove diameter of the rifle?  If not, that's likely what's fouling your bore so badly.    

Agree, Sweets or Shooter's Choice to remove the copper.  Only in extreme instances that I come across while trying to rehab old milsurps do I resort to Barnes CR-10.  Nasty stuff, but it works fast.  

No matter what, I'd quit using that bullet.

<div class=

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Feb 2nd, 2017 at 4:52am
Print Post  
I'm assuming this is a Miroku Winchester. 
Have you cleaned and then slugged the bore    IT sounds like a bore dimension and bullet dimension mismatch.    If the bullet is undersized not much you can do.   {QUERY:   Has anyone ever tried paper patching a undersize jacketed bullet or would that not work on  jacketed bullet rifling}  thats why you are getting cast bullet suggestions.

Wondering too if you just might have a rough bore.  how new is the rifle?

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

jy3855
Senior Forum Member

Reply #4 - Feb 2nd, 2017 at 5:03am
Print Post  
QM,

Ross Seyfried wrote several articles that I have read in which he discusses paper patching jacketed bullets, and yes, it does work.

Probably not in this instance, because the bullet to be PPd should be sufficiently smaller (it varies, but for 16# paper, 2 wraps, it should be about .010" smaller in dia.) to make room for the patch. Hopefully the Gummy Tip bullet isn't .010" too small for the bore of JHM's rifle.

If anyone's interested, I've got a couple of Seyfried's PP articles scanned as pdf.s. PM me your email and I can send them to you. I tried attaching one here, but the file was to big to attach here.
« Last Edit: Feb 2nd, 2017 at 10:49am by jy3855 »  

IP Logged

nuclearcricket
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Feb 2nd, 2017 at 7:50am
Print Post  
Sounds lime maybe the bore has a ruff patch in it near the muzzle. You may need to run through a break in procedure on the barrel. It may pay you to shoot a round and then thoroughly clean all the fouling out and then another shot, do this for 10 or 20 rounds and see if it improves things for you.
Sam

IP Logged

jmh
Participating Member

Reply #6 - Feb 3rd, 2017 at 12:42pm
Print Post  
Bore slugged 0.4570.  Seemed uniform. bullet is 0.4575. So this bullet is too big.... 
Japanese yes. Thanks for all comments. have 4227 on shelf. Bore squeeky clean and patch easily entered bore before.  Also, I quit after 5, and cleaned. Could hardly get same patch in bore. Forgot bore conditioner name. about 8 strokes, and back to original.. Darn expensive bullet. Pulled from Hornady factory loads.
My next thought is PP Pb. So I would need what final size PP Pb bullet for 0.4570 bore, 0.458? 459? Yes was to be hunter, but 8" groups @ 125 stopped that. Have casting equipment. Got "whats his name" PP book too.
« Last Edit: Feb 3rd, 2017 at 1:07pm by jmh »  

IP Logged

SchwarzStock
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Feb 3rd, 2017 at 1:40pm
Print Post  
I have shot some very impressive (one-hole) groups at 100 yds with that bullet in a Ruger 45-70 loaded with 50grs of 4198 (Don't put this load in anything but a Ruger). Seriously doubt there is a problem with the bullet, would look real hard at that gun.

FWIW: years ago as part of some testing at the Army Special Warfare Center we shot quite a number of 0.312 diameter bullets pulled from 7.62X54R that were then reloaded into 7.62 NATO cases. Due to the increase in diameter of the neck not every rifle would chamber the rounds but some did and shot the ammo accurately. Atleast as accurately as you could expect from Soviet infantry ammunition.

SS

If your rifle is not in 7.62 and you can't hit what you are aiming at with de-linked machinegun ammo you are a pretender.

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Feb 3rd, 2017 at 5:16pm
Print Post  
those bullets sound almost 458 Win size   lots of variations in .45-70 over the years.  also in the rifling twist rates.  too fast or too slow a twist can be a factor  lighter faster "express" bullets function better in a slower twist than heavier longer bullets you might be running into problems  with the weight twist rate and velocity balance.

the Miroku built BPCR and Creedmoor variations all were barreled with Badger match barrels shipped to Japan with a slower twist especially for heavy long range bullets. no clue on what they are using now or their QC standards

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #9 - Feb 4th, 2017 at 11:14am
Print Post  
jmh wrote on Feb 3rd, 2017 at 12:42pm:
Bore slugged 0.4570.  Seemed uniform. bullet is 0.4575. So this bullet is too big.... 
Japanese yes. Thanks for all comments. have 4227 on shelf. Bore squeeky clean and patch easily entered bore before.  Also, I quit after 5, and cleaned. Could hardly get same patch in bore. Forgot bore conditioner name. about 8 strokes, and back to original.. Darn expensive bullet. Pulled from Hornady factory loads.
My next thought is PP Pb. So I would need what final size PP Pb bullet for 0.4570 bore, 0.458? 459? Yes was to be hunter, but 8" groups @ 125 stopped that. Have casting equipment. Got "whats his name" PP book too.

I wouldn't think the bullet is too large at only .0005" over groove diameter. It may be as others mentioned that the bore has a slight roughness and that's building up copper.
I like using cast myself, and prefer bullets not over .001" or less over groove diameter. If I shot a .457" groove bore, I'd want .457" to .458" max. bullets.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

jmh
Participating Member

Reply #10 - Feb 4th, 2017 at 8:57pm
Print Post  
thank you Vall, and the many others, it still a baffling issue. This was to be my last rifle. My trend from many responses is cast. Maybe PP. It is so extreme, 8" groups. But as I said, for 4 rds it followed scope adjustments. Will try next week. Not with that bullet.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Feb 4th, 2017 at 11:04pm
Print Post  
Bore roughness is now the chief suspect IMHO.  Can you get your hands on a borescope?

<div class=

IP Logged

jmh
Participating Member

Reply #12 - Feb 5th, 2017 at 5:27pm
Print Post  
I need to remeasure my slug to make i didnt confuse groove vs. bore.
« Last Edit: Feb 5th, 2017 at 5:35pm by jmh »  

IP Logged

jmh
Participating Member

Reply #13 - Feb 5th, 2017 at 5:37pm
Print Post  
uscra112 wrote on Feb 4th, 2017 at 11:04pm:
Bore roughness is now the chief suspect IMHO.  Can you get your hands on a borescope? 

not that I know of......If I find one will post.

IP Logged

jmh
Participating Member

Reply #14 - Feb 7th, 2017 at 4:57pm
Print Post  
found one 'smith in Allgood, AL. Also known as frequented by the train robber Rube Burrows.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint