Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Historical Pics of old German Schützenhouses (Read 51824 times)
Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Historical Pics of old German Schützenhouses
Reply #75 - Feb 17th, 2017 at 4:40pm
Print Post  
Here is some encouragement Biggi. Keep 'em coming.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

jfeldman
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #76 - Feb 17th, 2017 at 6:12pm
Print Post  
Really enjoyed your last post Biggi.  I have a rifle that I believe is a Keilerbuchse for that running boar target.  Yours is the first reference I've seen that showed the target/game.  Thanks!  Do you know the distance at which it was shot?

Regards, Joe

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #77 - Feb 17th, 2017 at 7:46pm
Print Post  

As far as I know, they had a running bore or also a running deer since the 1850s in Bavaria and Germany. I think the running bore was shot at 50-60 meters (55-65 yards) and the running deer at 110 meters (120 yards). Even at the famous Octoberfest matches they shot on the running deer.

For hunting exam (to get the hunting permit), they still shoot nowadays on a running bore, or fox, and rabbit, and so on.

Here are two short videos which show the running bore:

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Questions in old German target rifles??? Hhhmm, maybe I can help...
...meanwhile more than 500 quality posts from Bavaria!
IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #78 - Feb 18th, 2017 at 6:37pm
Print Post  

The small-bore shooting with rifles started very late in Germany, especially in Bavaria. (But they shot with small-bore pistols since the mid 1890s.) Before WWI, there were efforts in some regions in Saxony and round Berlin who practiced with small-bore rifles. And an association in the region of Frankfurt shot with .22 rifles with double-set trigger which looked like feuerstutzens.

After WWI and the inflation years, the small-bore shooting took place all over Germany, a lot of new clubs were founded and the big old shooting societies installed 50 meter fire points at their ranges. It was easy to build a range, the safety rules were not soooo strict like for big bore shooting. And the main fact: it was a kind of shooting for young men, and the rifles and ammo was real cheap – compared to schützen-rifles. Member fee in the clubs was cheap, no knickknacks all around, no tradition, no honorable establishment. Just shooting in three positions, pre-military training. 

Here is an example for a small-bore range, probably built in the 1930s, in a smaller town 50 miles north of Munich near Ingolstadt. With five fire points, just placed in a kind of quarry close to town.  
« Last Edit: Feb 18th, 2017 at 6:43pm by feuerbixler »  

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #79 - Feb 20th, 2017 at 7:05pm
Print Post  

Here is another example for a 50 meters small-bore club house with range, probably around 1930 in a rural region between Munich and Stuttgart.  They had four fire points, good enough for the pre-military practice. For the young men it was not just offered shooting, the whole training was cross country run, ball games, and more. 

Also older men liked it to shoot small bore rifles, because meanwhile they had small-bore rifles with bolt action in military style.  So the former WWI soldiers enjoyed it to shoot small-bore, because the original K98 and similar war rifles were forbidden because of the Treaty of Versailles. 

Tried to find out what happened to this range, but couldn’t find anything about it. Probably gone after WWII and never re-opened.

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #80 - Feb 20th, 2017 at 7:48pm
Print Post  
Biggi, I like the nice balloon-sized blowups of the target areas in the last pair of sites. I'm sure glad that I don't live in the little place on the upward side of the range in Lenting. Somebody must have sent a bullet up there (too much beer?). The open space there in Untermedlingen is much more secure. However, neither one of the places seems to have a stove pipe, so winter shooting might be for the tough competitors, huh?

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #81 - Feb 21st, 2017 at 9:30am
Print Post  

Interesting point, no stove pipes. Well observed. I think the solution is: they didn’t shoot in winter. Because they didn’t had plows to go to the places back then, so no heater was needed. Or maybe they had a small heater inside with just a small pipe out of the wall, not shown on the pics? Hhhmmm?!
Roll Eyes

During my today’s research hours, I found another example for small bore ranges. With chimney and heater! Built in 1928 in a pretty Upper-Bavarian country house style. Range had seven fire-points on 50 meters for .22 rifles.

This place was approx. 5 miles south of Munich, along Isar river. Placed in the woods on the raised shoreline of the Isar river. Just a 5 minutes walk from the famous “Waldwirtschaft” (Forest Tavern) where the Munich people and families went on Sundays since centuries for pleasure and beer. The tavern ran also the small pub in the club house on Sundays, when shooters showed up for matches. The "Waldwirtschaft" has a long tradition, the place got their first beer selling license approx. 600 years ago, but the first buildings are mentioned 1300 years ago. Since the railway station was built in 1852, they had up to 10.000 visitors per weekend.

So it’s a neat place for a shooting range. There were more places around with nice rural taverns, also for the famous summer-time zimmerstutzen matches of the Munich shooting clubs.  The colored post card (ca. 1900) shows another pleasure place close to the small bore range, where they shot zimmerstutzens. And they had a Kegelbahn (bowling alley) too. A lot of summer-time matches were held at this place. Famous place back then!

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #82 - Feb 22nd, 2017 at 5:34pm
Print Post  

Here is a real interesting post card of an old range for small bore shooting. It was located in rural Lower-Bavaria near the border to Czechoslovakia. But I couldn’t find any track of this location on the web. Would be real interesting what happened to the building. I bet it didn’t survive the post WWII years.

The picture of the post card was taken from the fire points in direction to the range. Interesting view, because one can see the shooters on the second floor. Yes, it’s a two story range. I know this style of ranges from Austria, they still have this design.
On the lower floor the club room and maybe a meeting room for the BoD, on the upper floor the fire points.

I think the post card must be round 1928, but it was shipped in 1932, the stamp on the back tells it.

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #83 - Feb 22nd, 2017 at 7:05pm
Print Post  
I would have just the sort of luck where I'd drop something I needed for shooting and have to go all the way downstairs to get it. 
I'm really surprised at the many elaborate, by my standards, places there were to shoot. And, to hear that some are still going is amazing.

IP Logged

ledball
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #84 - Feb 22nd, 2017 at 8:46pm
Print Post  
Biggi, My ancestors came from Amberg,was there a Schuetzen house in that town. Thanks for the great thread.  Ledball

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #85 - Feb 23rd, 2017 at 7:56pm
Print Post  
calledflyer wrote on Feb 22nd, 2017 at 7:05pm:
I would have just the sort of luck where I'd drop something I needed for shooting and have to go all the way downstairs to get it. 
I'm really surprised at the many elaborate, by my standards, places there were to shoot. And, to hear that some are still going is amazing.

Hi CalledFlyer.

Well, if you would have been a German shooter 100 years ago, you would not had much on your shooting bench to lose out of the window. 

No spotting scope necessary, because the jester out in the butt showed the result with his paddle.
No powder bottle or other tools, they shot with fixed ammo.
No special rest, just off-hand shooting.

Just two things on the bench: 
• box of fixed ammo 
• clock key to adjust the diopter

...and maybe a glass of red wine in the hand!   Grin  Cheesy  Wink

Biggi.    Smiley

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #86 - Feb 23rd, 2017 at 7:57pm
Print Post  

ledball wrote on Feb 22nd, 2017 at 8:46pm:
Biggi, My ancestors came from Amberg,was there a Schuetzen house in that town. Thanks for the great thread.  Ledball

Hi ledball.

Yes, there was a lot of shooting in Amberg, a lot of clubs. 
The royal privileged target rifle club (feuerstutzens) and zimmerstutzen clubs.
Lot of shooting history in Amberg.

Will see when I will have time and I can make a research about Amberg to figure out clubs and details.

Biggi.  Smiley

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #87 - Feb 23rd, 2017 at 7:58pm
Print Post  
westerner wrote on Feb 23rd, 2017 at 1:53am:
Have heard that all towns in Germany had many shooting clubs and houses. This thread could go on forever, thankfully. Great job, Biggi. Post more!

Joǝ.

Yes Joe, a lot of shooting in all German towns back then.
But just one big club per town with long distance range for feuerstutzens.
And those were the clubs with the "royal privileg".
The only town back then in Bavaria with two royal privileged clubs was Munich.
And this is a special story which might be told later.

But in most of the towns they had zimmerstutzen clubs since the 1850s, after the zimmerstutzen was invented. Most of the zimmerstutzen clubs shot in the back room of taverns or on the bowling alley (Kegelbahn). They shot on a distance of 9 to 18 meters, depended on the room they had for shooting.
It was easy to install a target and a thick board to cover the jester who showed the hit in the target. There were a lot of constructions for zimmerstutzen clubs how to manage the scoring. Here are three target installation examples for zimemrstutzen clubs to run the shooting evening.

Biggi.  Smiley

IP Logged

Lefty38-55
Senior Forum Member

Reply #88 - Feb 23rd, 2017 at 8:47pm
Print Post  
feuerbixler wrote on Jan 28th, 2017 at 6:40pm:

This is an example for a mid size rural range. 
It was located near Au-Hallertau, a region approx. 70 miles north of Munich, Bavaria, south Germany.

I think this postcard picture was taken approx. 1910.

Biggi - Do you know if this building is still in use? On a business trip to Germany a few years ago, the Manager in Germany that my twin brother was there to meet, found out he was a hunter and shooter. He took my bro to a 'Jaeger Lodge' where they sigjed in rifles and went boar hunting, if I recall the game species correctly. (Maybe it was stag? I forget ...)

Point is, he showed me pictures and the place looked EXACTLY like that as shown!

All of my single shots shoot one tiny ragged hole with cast bullets ... it's just the following shots that tend to open up my groups Wink ...

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #89 - Feb 23rd, 2017 at 9:07pm
Print Post  
Sticky? Heck, you might get a book out of this. Great stuff.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
Send TopicPrint