Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Historical Pics of old German Schützenhouses (Read 51734 times)
feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Re: Historical Pics of old German Schützenhouses
Reply #120 - Mar 12th, 2017 at 4:00pm
Print Post  

I want to add some “American-German” historical notes to the sovereignly Wied family, who supports the Wied-Neuwied shooting club since nearly 200 years. Concerning my last post with the pics of the old range.

One son of the Wied-family “Prince Maximilian of Wied-Neuwied“ was the first scientist and explorer who went to Brazil to discover nature and native tribes in the rainwoods and jungle from 1815-1817. He painted pics and wrote down everything he saw there and learned about the in Europe unknown plants and animales.

Later he went to North America from 1832-1834 and traveled from the east coast to Missouri River to visit native tribes. He had the Swiss painter Karl Bodmer with him on the trip who painted a lot of indian chief portraits with colors and also all the daily objects used by the indians. These are the only pictures of the natives of the great plains, before they were liquidated by epidemic plagues, disease, and wars. All over US there are unique pics of his expeditions in the museums and also the native tribes nowadays in US could learn about their ancestors. 

Some information taken from Wikipedia:
“In 1832 he travelled to the Great Plains region of North America, accompanied by the Swiss painter Karl Bodmer on a journey up the Missouri River, and wrote Reise in das Innere Nord-Amerikas (1840) on his return. During his travels, he was a sympathetic recorder of the cultures of many of the Native American tribes he encountered, notably the Mandan and the Hidatsa, who lived in settled villages on the banks of the Missouri, but also such nomadic peoples as the Sioux, Assiniboine, Plains Cree, Gros Ventres and Blackfoot. Bodmer's watercolour paintings of individuals, artefacts and customs among the Indians are acknowledged as among the most accurate and informative ever made. Many were adapted as hand-coloured engravings to illustrate the publication of 1840.”

The travelogue with colored picture pages were published since 1840 by a special editor Jakob Hölscher from Koblenz, who was famous for his accurate work with travel books and handcolored prints. Europeans were very interested back then how the world looks outside Europe.

Thanks to this German sovereign Wied-family from Neuwied, a lot of culture knowledge could survive – and a shooting club in Germany got a home and a range, still nowadays.

Biggi.   Smiley

Questions in old German target rifles??? Hhhmm, maybe I can help...
...meanwhile more than 500 quality posts from Bavaria!
IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #121 - Mar 14th, 2017 at 8:59pm
Print Post  
JägerWilhelm wrote on Mar 12th, 2017 at 3:32pm:
feuerbixler wrote on Mar 11th, 2017 at 5:00pm:

JägerWilhelm wrote on Mar 10th, 2017 at 6:57pm:
I have been following this wonderful thread since it started. Truly a pleasure.Thanks Biggi!

Hi JägerWilhelm. Thanks for your kudos.
Do you have a special research question for a club or range building?
Maybe I can find something in the archive…

Biggi.   Smiley

Thanks for the offer Biggi. Not sure what will be available, as the areas my family comes from were taken from Germany after WWII. Königsberg, Danzig, and Liegnitz on my Mother's side, and the area around Schneidemühl and Posen on my Father's side.

I did visit the Schützenverein you compete at in Heidelberg last winter, but it was closed. This year I will be in the Potsdam area, so I am interested in military ranges used by the various Prussian Guard units in the 19th century.

Hi Jäger’s Willi

Here are some postcards of the famous old Friedrich-Wilhelm-Schützenhaus of Danzig. Some nice different views.

As far as I figured out, the Schützenhaus was bombed by allied forces in January 1945 and got a direct hit by a huge bomb. At this moment, the schützenhaus was full of hundreds of German refugees from East-Prussia, who lost already their homes and were chased to the West by Russians. And then they lost their life in the bombs of Danzig.

Maybe I can figure out more about the history.

Biggi.  Smiley

IP Logged

ASIEGL
Participating Member

Reply #122 - Mar 15th, 2017 at 7:37pm
Print Post  
Biggi, thank you for all the historic pictures from meiner Heimat.
Lived in  Karlskron by Ingolstadt till 1952, had a cousin in Munich and my brother  brought back a banner like yours after a visit. I dug it out and I think mine is purtier (schoener) than yours. What do the Lions represent?

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #123 - Mar 16th, 2017 at 8:30pm
Print Post  
ASIEGL wrote on Mar 15th, 2017 at 7:37pm:
Biggi, thank you for all the historic pictures from meiner Heimat.
Lived in  Karlskron by Ingolstadt till 1952, had a cousin in Munich and my brother  brought back a banner like yours after a visit. I dug it out and I think mine is purtier (schoener) than yours. What do the Lions represent?

Hi ASIEGL.

The lions holding the coat of arms on the Bavarian flag show power and potency. The royal house of the Wittelsbach family has the lions on the coat of arms since decades, its since 1623 on the state of Bavaria flag. 

The four quartes in the coat of arms are the different parts of Bavaria:

Left upper corner: The Golden Lion represents the administrative region of Upper Palatinate.

Right upper corner: The "Franconian Rake”  represents the administrative regions of Upper, Middle and Lower Franconia. 

Left lower corner: The “Blue Panther” represents the regions of Lower and Upper Bavaria.

Right lower corner: The “Three Lions” represent Swabia in the west of Bavaria.

The white and blue heart shield in the middle was originally the coat of arms of the “Counts of Bogen”, adopted in 1242 by the House of Wittelsbach. 
The white-and-blue rhombs are the emblem of Bavaria.

IP Logged

ASIEGL
Participating Member

Reply #124 - Mar 17th, 2017 at 10:13am
Print Post  
Vielen Dank, I was born in Karlsbad and I think we had a Doppel Adler (Double Eagle) on our Banner. After the war we were lucky to wind up in west Germany. In Karlskron I remember on May day there was a wagon that had rows of flowers in ceramic holders, with the provided air rifle you shot the little ceramic holder and got the flower if you broke it. I think us young boys were allowed to rest their elbows on the table. That started my love for a sport that you can participate in till you can no longer stand on your hind legs. That is about all I can do anymore and enjoy shooting my Aydt. Adolf

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #125 - Mar 26th, 2017 at 11:42pm
Print Post  
Nice thread Biggi.  Do you need more encouragement or is that about it?

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 
Send TopicPrint