Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Historical Pics of old German Schützenhouses (Read 51746 times)
rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Historical Pics of old German Schützenhouses
Reply #105 - Mar 4th, 2017 at 12:48pm
Print Post  
feuerbixler- I much appreciate your response. I am going by the place of birth on my fathers birth certificate. It is spelled Lindow so have nothing else to go on. End of the trail at this point I guess. I will have to dig deeper, but not much left. I checked her citizenship papers and nothing there, but did find that my grandfather Walter was born in Berlin. Again, I do thank you so for your effort. Krag

rkba2nd

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #106 - Mar 4th, 2017 at 2:07pm
Print Post  
This informative and fun topic is rapidly acquiring a life of its own.  Should we give Biggi her own topic?  Or perhaps even something grander that would be referenced on the ASSRA's home page?

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #107 - Mar 4th, 2017 at 3:46pm
Print Post  

rkba2nd wrote on Mar 4th, 2017 at 12:48pm:
feuerbixler- I much appreciate your response. I am going by the place of birth on my fathers birth certificate. It is spelled Lindow so have nothing else to go on. End of the trail at this point I guess. I will have to dig deeper, but not much left. I checked her citizenship papers and nothing there, but did find that my grandfather Walter was born in Berlin. Again, I do thank you so for your effort. Krag

Krag, here are my results:

Okay, must be “Lindow (Mark)” in the Mark Brandenburg, a huge region north-west of Berlin. A small town (pop 3000) in between three lakes. The whole area between Berlin and the Baltic Sea has zillions of lakes, called “Mecklenburg Lake Plateau”. Town was founded in the 1200s as a monastery. 
The only hint about something like shooting what I could find is, that they had a vigilance committee in the 1600s. So probably they had a place to shoot. But nothing else to find on the web, no shooting history of Lindow.

Attached two pics of Lindow. A general view and a “Forsthaus” (forester’s lodge), I think it was a restaurant destination close to Lindow. Maybe hunters were shooting there? 
Well, the place was for 45 years behind the Iron Curtain, maybe the GDR prvent any shooting history and afterwards nobody revived a club?

Biggi. 

Questions in old German target rifles??? Hhhmm, maybe I can help...
...meanwhile more than 500 quality posts from Bavaria!
IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #108 - Mar 5th, 2017 at 1:40am
Print Post  
Feuerbixler- Thank you so much for the information and photographs. It looks to be a very beautiful area. I knew that it was in east Germany as my grandmother tried numerous times to visit family, as she was one of twelve sisters. She passed long before travel was allowed, when I was twelve or thirteen. I do remember her telling us that she would send "care" packages with things like coffee, which apparently was hard to come by, and then hearing from family that the packages never arrived. In spite of that she would continue to send them. I hope one day to visit your beautiful country and possibly make contact with one of my now distant relatives. Again thanks for your effort in my behalf, and for the great information and photographs on this website. Krag

rkba2nd

IP Logged

buchsenmacher

Reply #109 - Mar 5th, 2017 at 8:58am
Print Post  
Biggi,
I was assuming because my family name is Durren that my ancestors came from the town of DÜREN. I was interested in finding some shooting history of the area.

I found my book on the history of the Meisterheim family. The author states the family started in Waldulm. It was indeed a small town. They had to travel to Kappelrodek to board the train. Quite likley there is no shooting tradition in the area. 

Thank you for your efforts.

Steven Durren
Professional member, ACGG

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #110 - Mar 8th, 2017 at 6:00pm
Print Post  
buchsenmacher wrote on Mar 5th, 2017 at 8:58am:
Biggi,
I was assuming because my family name is Durren that my ancestors came from the town of DÜREN. I was interested in finding some shooting history of the area.

I found my book on the history of the Meisterheim family. The author states the family started in Waldulm. It was indeed a small town. They had to travel to Kappelrodek to board the train. Quite likley there is no shooting tradition in the area. 

Thank you for your efforts.

Hi Steven.

Now I found something about shooting of your ancestor’s region, finally!

In Kappel-Rodeck, the closest town to Waldulm, there was established a shooting club in 1921. They shot with zimmerstutzens in a tavern, later on a Kegelbahn (bowling alley) at other place. They closed the club in 1933, when the Nazis took over Germany. A lot of clubs stopped shooting and disbanded the organization, because the Nazis gave new statutes to the clubs by law. Most of the clubs didn’t like those. 

The club was re-established in 1935 as a smallbore club, which was organized by Nazi guys. But the Nazis made it possible to have a smallbore range at 50 meters, where they could shoot in all the military styles. But it was not “real shooting” with schützen and comeraderie, it was the Nazi club ideology with “Führerprinzip” (leader principle) of the political party. With WWII and the breakdown of the German Reich, all shooting has to be stopped.

They re-established the club as an air rifle club in 1955. After some years in taverns, they decided to build a schützenhaus – with their own hands. With a lot of help of the municipality of Rodeck and local companies, they could get property and donations for construction material. After some years of building the club house with their own hands in their sparetime, the club members could be proud to open the new air rifle range. 

In the upper story and the attic, they had an apartment for the range keeper, where he could live for a small money with his family. They also rented the new restaurant, to get frequently money for the club funds. 

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #111 - Mar 8th, 2017 at 6:00pm
Print Post  
Some years later they decided to build a small bore range on 50 meters in the back yard of the property. It was again a lot of work and also a lot of difficulties for the construction site. But again the club members stick together and worked a long time in their spare time. The local contracting businesses brought their tools and machinery for the weekends to help the club. For the 50th anniversary in 1971 the could open the new small bore range with big festivities.

After some years they had to reconstruct the ranges, because of better noise protection and modernisation. Also the apartment and the restaurant was modernized by the club members, so they were always up to date with their facilities. A few years ago they started with archery shooting too, on a local sports ground in Waldulm.

That’s the story of the local shooting club. I think it’s a great club, with a lot of good and busy guys. Hats off!

The old postcard is from the mid 1960s from the archive. The new pictures I got from their homepage, I tried to assemble some views from the same perspective. 

Biggi.

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #112 - Mar 9th, 2017 at 6:02pm
Print Post  
rkba2nd wrote on Mar 5th, 2017 at 1:40am:
Feuerbixler- Thank you so much for the information and photographs. It looks to be a very beautiful area. I knew that it was in east Germany as my grandmother tried numerous times to visit family, as she was one of twelve sisters. She passed long before travel was allowed, when I was twelve or thirteen. I do remember her telling us that she would send "care" packages with things like coffee, which apparently was hard to come by, and then hearing from family that the packages never arrived. In spite of that she would continue to send them. I hope one day to visit your beautiful country and possibly make contact with one of my now distant relatives. Again thanks for your effort in my behalf, and for the great information and photographs on this website. Krag

Krag, I found something great for you in the archive !!!

Three old post cards from the schützenhaus in Lindow.

Enjoy it!         Biggi.   Smiley

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #113 - Mar 9th, 2017 at 6:25pm
Print Post  
Neat pictures!!

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #114 - Mar 9th, 2017 at 9:46pm
Print Post  
Feuerbixler- Wow, thanks to your effort, there is now a connection with my grandmothers birthplace and the family she started here in this country. My interest in single shot rifles, and schuetzen  rifles in particular, goes back to time spent with my grandmother at a Germania hall in San Jose, California in the 1950s. I thank you so for your help in making this a reality. I am quite sure that Grandma did not participate, but might have attended social events in such a place with her family. The truth is lost in a time long past. Again thanks and I send my warmest regards. Krag

rkba2nd

IP Logged

JägerWilhelm

ASSRA #8407

Reply #115 - Mar 10th, 2017 at 6:57pm
Print Post  
I have been following this wonderful thread since it started. Truly a pleasure.Thanks Biggi!

NRA Life, GGCA Director, OVMS Life, FDHAS Life

Mit Schützengruß,
Willi

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #116 - Mar 11th, 2017 at 5:00pm
Print Post  

JägerWilhelm wrote on Mar 10th, 2017 at 6:57pm:
I have been following this wonderful thread since it started. Truly a pleasure.Thanks Biggi!

Hi JägerWilhelm. Thanks for your kudos.
Do you have a special research question for a club or range building?
Maybe I can find something in the archive…

Biggi.   Smiley

IP Logged

feuerbixler
Oldtimer

Reply #117 - Mar 11th, 2017 at 5:00pm
Print Post  

I bet you will like this classy building!

This was the shooting hall of the “Schützengesellschaft Neuwied”. A small town along Rhine River, north of Koblenz (West Germany). 

The club was established in 1833 and exists still nowadays. They got the property for the range from the “Fürst von Wied” (Earl of Wied) in the 1840s to celebrate their schützenfests. The club was founded as a vigilante group to defend the town Wied. But they had just two missions, after 1848 revolution they were not needed anymore and switched to a target shooting club, with schützenfests and king’s matches and so on. They were in close connection to higher and lower royals. They had Earls and Kings as their protectors. 

Their first shooting hall on this place was destroyed in a war they had in the late 1800s. The Earl of Wied helped with money in 1894 to erect the shooting hall which is shown on the postcards. 

One of the biggest schützenfests which was held in the old days was in 1905 when they ran the 9th Championships of the “Rhineland Off-Hand Association”. In 1933 they celebrated their 100 years jubilée with big matches. 

Then the Nazi era came over Germany and WWII. Afterwards the re-established the club as a regular sport shooting club. Nowadays they are a successful sport shooting club with several different disciplines. I think they have their modern range building still at the same spot, but the classy old building is gone a long time ago.

Biggi. Smiley

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #118 - Mar 11th, 2017 at 11:26pm
Print Post  
You are right, I like that one. Pity it's gone, but time gets the
best of a lot of things. Nice to read that the club itself is still kicking. 
Each subject you give us to enjoy makes the whole thread more delightful. Thank you so much for your time and trouble- it's terrific.

IP Logged

JägerWilhelm

ASSRA #8407

Reply #119 - Mar 12th, 2017 at 3:32pm
Print Post  
feuerbixler wrote on Mar 11th, 2017 at 5:00pm:

JägerWilhelm wrote on Mar 10th, 2017 at 6:57pm:

Hi JägerWilhelm. Thanks for your kudos.
Do you have a special research question for a club or range building?
Maybe I can find something in the archive…

Biggi.   Smiley

Thanks for the offer Biggi. Not sure what will be available, as the areas my family comes from were taken from Germany after WWII. Königsberg, Danzig, and Liegnitz on my Mother's side, and the area around Schneidemühl and Posen on my Father's side.

I did visit the Schützenverein you compete at in Heidelberg last winter, but it was closed. This year I will be in the Potsdam area, so I am interested in military ranges used by the various Prussian Guard units in the 19th century.

NRA Life, GGCA Director, OVMS Life, FDHAS Life

Mit Schützengruß,
Willi

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 
Send TopicPrint