Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Pleasant surprise! (Read 7900 times)
SBoomer
Oldtimer

Pleasant surprise!
Jan 21st, 2017 at 9:25pm
Print Post  
I was digging thru bags of old 25/20SS brass today and ran across a bag that caught my eye as "different". I pulled one out and was thrilled to see a G&H 22-3000 headstamp. I am fascinated with old "classic" brass of any kind and this absolutely made my day. I had to run and pull my reference books showing this old matriarch of a singleshot varmint cartridge. The following pic shows it next to a K-Hornet for a visual reference as to size.

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Pleasant surprise!
Reply #1 - Jan 21st, 2017 at 9:45pm
Print Post  
That's neat. I have a sort of cartridge collection, but never saw any marked that way. Only the converted stuff, with its parent headstamp. I like it.

IP Logged

SBoomer
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Jan 21st, 2017 at 10:01pm
Print Post  
The R2 Lovell got so popular that it consumed the lions share of available 25/20SS brass. Griffin & Howe made a special run of brass to supply the needs of the nations varmint hunters. WILDCAT CARTRIDGES by Richard Simmons has an excellent section on the 22-3000 variants.

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jan 21st, 2017 at 11:06pm
Print Post  
I knew of the G&H run of cases, but they never show up around this neck of the woods. For that matter, neither do many of the parent case. We didn't get much use for pipsqueak calibers until much later than either of these were popular. Hornets are scarce on the ground as well. Open country with plenty of wind. 
I grew up in an ocean of Springfields and lever actions. Single shots were pretty much limited to .22s, too.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Jan 22nd, 2017 at 12:38am
Print Post  
Fun to find something like that, ain't it?

G&H brass actually shows up for sale on Gunbroker a few times a year.  It was actually made by Winchester.  It was made very light, to maximize capacity.  Knowing that so many Lovell buffs used to load scary hot, it's a surprise that there's any left at all, but it even turns up with the original primers in it sometimes.  

The really rare .22-3000 brass is that with J.B.Smiths headstamp.  I've got one somewhere..........

The Lovell was very popular in the northeast and Canada.  Fred Ness, who ran the Dope Bag column in the Rifleman was a big proselytizer.  It also got a lot of pages in Charles Landis book "Twenty-Two Caliber Varmint Rifles".  I can see that it might not have been so big out West.  But Frank deHaas was a big fan, and he was in Iowa.
« Last Edit: Jan 22nd, 2017 at 12:54am by uscra112 »  

<div class=

IP Logged

LRF
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Jan 22nd, 2017 at 8:53am
Print Post  
Congrats on your find.
I find interesting the obvious firing pin drag across the face of the head. Wondering what single shot action was being used. Having no proof one way or another, I guess a Sharps product. Looks like the case was fired at least twice in the ill timed action. One drag much worst then the other.

IP Logged

SBoomer
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - Jan 22nd, 2017 at 10:18am
Print Post  
Of course you are correct. I was thinking that it was an indexing mark. Firing pin drag makes perfect sense. Based on USCRA112's comment on the JB Smith headstamp, I looked at the remaining cases. Wishful thinking.....they were all G&H.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Jan 22nd, 2017 at 11:44am
Print Post  
Ned Roberts claimed that his Stevens 44 1/2 would do that. I have never seen it in any of mine, though. Ill timed Borchardt would definitely do it.

<div class=

IP Logged

LRF
Oldtimer

Reply #8 - Jan 22nd, 2017 at 1:58pm
Print Post  
Smiley 
This certainly is pure speculation on my and our part and I can see how a Stevens could be the culprit. Especially if the firing pin was a bit sticky.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Jan 22nd, 2017 at 2:13pm
Print Post  
SBoomer wrote on Jan 22nd, 2017 at 10:18am:
Of course you are correct. I was thinking that it was an indexing mark. Firing pin drag makes perfect sense. Based on USCRA112's comment on the JB Smith headstamp, I looked at the remaining cases. Wishful thinking.....they were all G&H.

Now you need to get started on a rifle to use them.  Any strong single shot will do, and there was a fad for converting Krags that worked quite well. (I've got one.)  The creme de la creme is a Griffin and Howe converted Springfield, but they cost the earth, these days. (They were pretty pricey then, too.) You could ream out any old Hornet to get a serviceable Lovell rifle.  Dies are easy to find on Gunbroker if you are patient. CH4D has reamers.  Back then all they had for powders was 4198 and 4227.  Today we have many more choices.

<div class=

IP Logged

gewehrfreund
Senior Forum Member

Reply #10 - Jan 23rd, 2017 at 6:59am
Print Post  
SBoomer wrote on Jan 22nd, 2017 at 10:18am:

My guess would have been an indexing mark, otherwise, why would the line not show up on other parts of the case as well if it were indeed an fp drag mark?

IP Logged

LRF
Oldtimer

Reply #11 - Jan 23rd, 2017 at 8:44am
Print Post  
Why would they mark the case? That practice was a schutzen shooting practice and the 22-3000 isn't that type of gun. BTW there are 2 marks and both are perfectly aligned with the center of the primer pocket.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Jan 23rd, 2017 at 11:34pm
Print Post  
I agree that that's a drag mark, but Lovell fanatics were exactly that - fanatics.  They'd certainly orient cases if they thought it would do any good.

<div class=

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Jan 24th, 2017 at 12:57am
Print Post  
Could have used one of the characters from the case headstamp for orientation.

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Jan 24th, 2017 at 1:33am
Print Post  
Drag mark probably from a Borchardt?

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint