Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) need id on barrel marking (Read 4358 times)
oughtsix
Global Moderator
ASSRA Board Member

need id on barrel marking
Jan 7th, 2017 at 12:26pm
Print Post  
below is a Remington Arms Co barrel I came across.  It is a .32-40 B &M    the serial # on the action is  not   22570.  the casting  # is 5777,  the  # on the stock and butt plate are 5770.  just curious about the 22570  # and especially the anchor.  Any thoughts?    2257 is a Virginia zip code, btw

Life Member ASSRA, OGCA &  TSGC
I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters........ Frank Lloyd Wright

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: need id on barrel marking
Reply #1 - Jan 7th, 2017 at 12:41pm
Print Post  
That number should be a work order or special order assembly number. The same number (or part of it) would be found on the left upper and lower tangs of the gun that barrel came off.
I own a .32-40 B&M Hepburn, and mine is marked ".32-40 B&M" under the forearm wood, and also out in front of the forearm on the round portion of my barrel. Mine has a number that is 5 digits next to the receiver, and the last 4 digit of the same number are on the upper and lower tangs left side. The serial number is also on my barrel, and matches the lower tang. The serial number on the barrel is farther forward. Just pulled mine apart for the first time since buying it last May, so I could see how it compares to my other Hepburns. My DST .40-70SS is similarly marked in the same locations, but of course a different set of numbers.
Found something odd under the top tang of my Match B in .32-40. It has a rollstamp in the wood that reads, "C. Giddings"? Unsure who that may be, but it's a professional stamp, not individual lettered stamp.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

ballardhepburnmich
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #2 - Jan 7th, 2017 at 12:46pm
Print Post  
What type of rifle is this barrel for? Most Remington single shots have the cartridge designation just in front of the forearm, and would be 32-40 B & M. Is it possible this barrel is part of a restoration they had Remington roll stamped and 22570 is the date it was done Feb, 25, 1970? Maybe this was done so people would know it was a restoration. 
Lee

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #3 - Jan 7th, 2017 at 12:49pm
Print Post  
ballardhepburnmich wrote on Jan 7th, 2017 at 12:46pm:
What type of rifle is this barrel for? Most Remington single shots have the cartridge designation just in front of the forearm, and would be 32-40 B & M. Is it possible this barrel is part of a restoration they had Remington roll stamped and 22570 is the date it was done Feb, 25, 1970? Maybe this was done so people would know it was a restoration. The barrel above appears to be attached to a Hepburn action.
Lee

A lot of Remington single shots had the caliber marked twice. Once under the forearm wood, and again in front of the forearm to be exposed. The barrel above appears to be attached too a Hepburn action.

IP Logged

oughtsix
Global Moderator
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #4 - Jan 7th, 2017 at 4:36pm
Print Post  
I gave you guys too many clues.  Yes, it is from a Hepburn  a B grade with two styles of checkering on it and it is  marked .32- 40 B & M  in front of the  fore end.   When I get a really good photo of the checkering,  I'll post some pics.   The serial # is 4646    but none of the other numbers make sense to me,   other than the stock and butt plate being the same,  the fact that the  casting  # is  so close to the stock # could just be coincidence   as well as 5 digit #   having a 5 7 0   in it.    The anchor   really is the main curiosity.     No other marks  that I can find.

Marlinguy,    Rowe's Hepburn book, page 22, mentions C. Gliddings as one of Remington's stock makers.   

Life Member ASSRA, OGCA &  TSGC
I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters........ Frank Lloyd Wright

IP Logged

Jeff_Schultz
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #5 - Jan 7th, 2017 at 6:03pm
Print Post  
  The anchor indicates "final inspection".

"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo

“There is no situation so bad that it cannot be made worse."

Confidence- The feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #6 - Jan 7th, 2017 at 8:41pm
Print Post  
That "anchor" marking is on numerous Remington singles I have. The close proximity of the assembly or work order numbers is just coincidence. They would never match the serial number found on the barrel, lower tang, buttplate, etc. They were just for workers to keep things together during production.
Checkering can vary a lot on Match B rifles, and is usually different than checkering found on any other Hepburn sporting rifle. Most sporters had no forearm checkering, and buttstock checkering was just the typical 2 point style, with a wide gap on the bottom of the pistol grip. Some got more coverage, and the panels almost came together on the bottom. Most Match A and B had the checkering with larger coverage, but they often had 3 or even 4 point checkering too. The Match B also had a variety of forearm checkering that could get pretty advanced on some.
My Match B has 4 point checkering on the buttstock, but forearm is 5 points on each end. It also has a nickel plated forearm tip, and small Farrow Swiss buttplate nickeled. Screw are also nickeled.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #7 - Jan 7th, 2017 at 8:41pm
Print Post  
Buttstock:

« Last Edit: Jan 7th, 2017 at 9:01pm by marlinguy »  

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #8 - Jan 7th, 2017 at 8:42pm
Print Post  
Buttplate:

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #9 - Jan 7th, 2017 at 8:48pm
Print Post  
oughtsix wrote on Jan 7th, 2017 at 4:36pm:

Marlinguy,    Rowe's Hepburn book, page 22, mentions C. Gliddings as one of Remington's stock makers.  

Thanks for the info on C Giddings in Tom's book! It appears his book might have a misprint on page 22, as it says "C Gliddings" and the stamp is clearly "C Giddings".

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Jan 7th, 2017 at 9:11pm
Print Post  
Hey, just take good care of that Hepburn. I'm coveting it you know! Angry

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint