Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Rear Sight on my Hepburn....... (Read 8593 times)
Pablom
Participating Member

Rear Sight on my Hepburn.......
Jan 2nd, 2017 at 11:53am
Print Post  
Here's the sight on my Hepburn 45-70. Its from what I make out from Tom Rowes book a Match grade B, with shoulder rest, double set trigger, mid range tang sight and a Swiss buttplate. 

My question is, has anyone seen a sight like this, factory? It's like a ghost ring on a current shotgun ect. But definitely period correct, no markings I see though.

It fits perfect. It's neat and accurate, but the front sight I put on makes it too low to work with tang sight. So I'm likely going to take it off and store it when I get a long range tang sight.

Thanks Paul

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: Rear Sight on my Hepburn.......
Reply #1 - Jan 5th, 2017 at 4:34pm
Print Post  
A very unusual looking sight! Can't say as I've ever seen one on any Remington, Hepburn or other? It looks much different in the dovetail area than Rocky Mountain sights I see for Remingtons, which have the edges cut beveled at the sides. 
Tom Rowe didn't say or show much on dovetail sights, and more Match A or B rifles don't have a rear dovetail, than do. seems the sporting #3 were more likely to have a rear dovetail cut than the Match rifles did.
Hope somebody can identify it!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Jan 6th, 2017 at 11:25am
Print Post  
might try querying Dick Binger about it.   

did it come with both the tang sight AND the barrel sight?

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jan 6th, 2017 at 4:28pm
Print Post  
Do you have a plan view (top-down) photo of the sight?

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Pablom
Participating Member

Reply #4 - Jan 6th, 2017 at 8:29pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the responses. I included three more pics. Yes it does have factory tang sight too. And with that said, the apertures are semetrical ( they line up as one, neat!!! ) 
I also included a top pic and a back view through it. 
Thanks again 
Paul

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #5 - Jan 6th, 2017 at 9:15pm
Print Post  
With the extra pictures, I think it may be a made up sight. Looks like they cut the blade off the sight, and made that aperture piece to slide into the elevator slot of the sight.

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Jan 7th, 2017 at 8:53am
Print Post  
Its a bit odd looking since it is SO thick.  So thick, that with a closer look at the first picture, I wondered if it incorporated some sort of an an adjustable aperture. There appears to be a small slotted head screw at the 5 o'clock position in the rear face of the sight disc.
  I also suspect that it might be a post production sight modification because the hole looks to be slightly off center.

I have a break-open German  "stalking rifle" made originally in .22 Vierling (The German version of the 22 Hornet---commonly used in "running boar" competition since it was the lightest calibre allowed under German rules). 
It originally had a "blade & elevator-type" rear open sight. But that was replaced with "ghost-ring" aperture blade made from a silver-soldered in washer of some sort.  I can well imagine that it might have been great on moving targets with that type of sight. 
Unfortunately it was badly pitted an inch or so ahead of the chamber throat.  I have had Steve Durren reline it to 25-20 SS.  I also (after much trial and error) found a early German Claw-mount scope the could be adapted to fit the factory claw-mount bases.  
« Last Edit: Jan 7th, 2017 at 9:04am by QuestionableMaynard8130 »  

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Jan 7th, 2017 at 1:31pm
Print Post  
No ones mentioned it yet, but that looks like a factory Stevens tang sight on that Hepburn.

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #8 - Jan 7th, 2017 at 1:48pm
Print Post  
Does look like a Stevens H style tang sight. Wonder if the spacing is 1.5" Stevens too?
I don't see any signs of checkering on the buttstock or forearm, so don't believe it's a Match B Hepburn. The B had checkering on both buttstock and forearm. The A had just buttstock checkering. Wonder if someone added a small Farrow style Swiss buttplate to this gun to attempt to make it a Match rifle? Buttplate, stocks, etc. should be serial numbered to the gun on most Remington Match rifles. Mine are all serial numbered to the action and barrel.
« Last Edit: Jan 7th, 2017 at 1:56pm by marlinguy »  

IP Logged

Pablom
Participating Member

Reply #9 - Jan 7th, 2017 at 8:01pm
Print Post  
Actually the hole spacing is about 2" on the tang. According to Mr. Rowe's book they show and talk about some of the match rifles not having the checkered forend. It has a real heavyweight barrel over a inch all the way down. If the sight was put together, whoever did it made it look like it came out of a factory. The mention of a screw flat at 5:00 is old a small scratch. 

Also I haven't checked the serial number yet, if on the buttplate.

I agree it's odd and thick kind of crazy looking, but looks like factory to me. 

Thanks for all your ideas. That's half the fun with these old rifles is figuring what and why.   

Thanks 
Paul

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #10 - Jan 7th, 2017 at 8:27pm
Print Post  
Paul,
Indeed many Match rifles did not have forearm checkering, but those would be Match A, not Match B. The Match B have checkering on both buttstock and forearm, and a higher grade of wood.
What does your buttplate look like?
The factory spacing is 1.93" so it sounds like that "Stevens" style sight is spaced correctly for the Remington! Never seen one like that on a Remington!

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Jan 15th, 2017 at 8:40am
Print Post  
Pablom wrote on Jan 7th, 2017 at 8:01pm:
If the sight was put together, whoever did it made it look like it came out of a factory.

I agree it's odd and thick kind of crazy looking, but looks like factory to me. 

Thanks for all your ideas. That's half the fun with these old rifles is figuring what and why.  

Thanks 
Paul

An interesting sight, but am not sure why you think it "looks factory"? There were/are many craftspeople/artisans since 1879 who could have made that sight and blued it, whatever. Appears to be well made. 
Doesn't detract from the rifle, which is about as good as it gets. Especially with those DSTs. Let us know how it shoots.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Jan 15th, 2017 at 9:58am
Print Post  
Sight is kind of neat - question:  The elevator can be raised only so far and the notches on it are for minimum specific yardage.  How would one plan to use the sight to shoot, say to shoot steel to 500m and target to 1000yds?

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Jan 15th, 2017 at 1:17pm
Print Post  
J.B.   In my (limited-- Wink) experience most 'ghost-ring" sights tend to be for  hunting on moving game, on other moving targets, or on other reaction-type shots. 
My own speculation is that it is a simple modified rear barrel sight for use in hunting with a good target rifle with the tang long range sight folded down or removed for field use.  a good modification that did not harm the rifle but added utilitarian value.

IP Logged

Pablom
Participating Member

Reply #14 - Jan 16th, 2017 at 9:24am
Print Post  
Yes, the ghost ring style sight has the notches to click it up. Not too much obviously. However at the top notch it was real accurate at 50 yds in my backyard. The front sight I put on is a bit high for this so I removed both this ring and the tang sight. I replaced the original mid range tang with a Lee Shaver long range. Now I can adjust to ranges way beyond my 50 yard home range.  I was shooting 300 gas checked and 500 postell. The bores pretty nice for 120 years old, no pitting still shines a bit. The 500 shot in a two inch circle at 50 yds. Now the 300 I won't talk about...... So I'm looking forward to some longer range up coming. 

Oh yeah, regarding this sucker being a hunting rifle, I kind of doubt it. My son put it on the bathroom scale before we shot yesterday, just shy of 20 lbs. 
Its definitely fun to mess with these old dandys.
Thanks all,
Paul

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint