Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Small differences - casting. (Read 28447 times)
JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Small differences - casting.
Reply #45 - Jan 1st, 2017 at 6:44pm
Print Post  
Bruce I admire your eagernees to share and your self motivation to actually go out and to find the answers to the why's, why nots and how comes to every aspect of achieving the very best in accuracy and to do it with an open mind. I have spent the last sixteen years in doing the same, still do typicaly weekly if weather allows and I still continue to learn something new along the way. There is a tremdous amount of value to what you have to share for those who cannot get out often enough for reasons unkown to be able to prove what has been shared on the subject by yourself and others for themselves and the importance there of.

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #46 - Jan 1st, 2017 at 7:11pm
Print Post  
CF understanding the effects of the wind, mirage, bright lighting changing to low lighting to name a few and getting out to learn how to correct for them are indeed extremely important aspects and more times than not the differance in winning or lossing now matter how well ones rifle shoots. It was just not a part of the current subject at hand and if I had to rely on arthmetical science I would be doomed to total and complete failure right out of the starting gate. One has to put the horse in front of the cart prior to trying to attempt to learn the above mentioned and it was the establishing of what it takes to bring up the quality of the horse to its very best abilty that was currently being discussed.   

JLouis

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #47 - Jan 1st, 2017 at 11:58pm
Print Post  
As regards the "all same as but different alloys", FWIW I ran a test with a 40-65, 15 shots each at 300 with certified 1 to 30, 1 to 25 and 1 to 20, and alternating alloys between shots. The 1 to 25 shot much better than the 1 to 30 and the 1 to 20 shot better than the 1 to 25.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #48 - Jan 2nd, 2017 at 12:34am
Print Post  
oneatatime wrote on Jan 1st, 2017 at 11:58pm:
As regards the "all same as but different alloys", FWIW I ran a test with a 40-65, 15 shots each at 300 with certified 1 to 30, 1 to 25 and 1 to 20, and alternating alloys between shots. The 1 to 25 shot much better than the 1 to 30 and the 1 to 20 shot better than the 1 to 25.

Hmmm?  I never bothered to try between 20 and 30 for BPCR Cry

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #49 - Jan 2nd, 2017 at 9:17am
Print Post  
The modern developments in bullet nose shapes (i.e.,the "Money Bullets") have nose forms that are much looser fits in the rifle bores than the older "Creedmoor" types.  Proponents of these bullets report flatter trajectories and much less wind deflection past what used to be known as "mid-range;" i.e., 500 meters or so.

Such nose shapes have a higher potential of slumping to the side in the passage up the bore unless the alloy is hardened sufficiently to prevent this.  My own 600-yard experience with the "Money Bullet," cast from the same alloy that worked so well with my Creedmoor Bullet, showed a larger group.  I need to revisit the test with a harder alloy.

These new bullet shapes are less "design flaws" than "trade-offs."  A bullet whose nose shape is maintained so it does better work at 1000 yards may well rattle sideways up the bore if something is not done to prevent it.  So more work is necessary to prevent such slumping.

It is likely the differences would not even be visible at 200 meters or so, where air movements near the target, as opposed to dozens of yards above it, can be watched with some assurance that the calls will give the results desired.  At such short ranges, a bullet nose with the potential to slump sideways, would not be chosen as there would be no advantage and a great potential disadvantage.

IP Logged

jfeldman
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #50 - Jan 2nd, 2017 at 9:12pm
Print Post  
Calledflyer, with the 20:1 alloy those extra 4 tenths of 4227 caused leading, which I did not get with the harder alloy.

Regards, Joe

IP Logged

Ol_Deuce
Senior Forum Member

Reply #51 - Jan 2nd, 2017 at 10:50pm
Print Post  
Does the lube enter into the factor??? I've watched guys
shoot in our area and the science they put into each load
grouping isn't what they want! Mother Nature may be a factor??? Roll Eyes............Ol Deuce

Do The Best With What You Got !!!

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #52 - Jan 2nd, 2017 at 11:09pm
Print Post  
Well, Joe, they all have their likes and dislikes, don't they? I have one in .40-82 that is real persnickety, and my .32-40 will digest a wide variety of alloys at widely varying velocities. Like, I said I'd had some of the ones I had upped lose accuracy. I'm sure at some point, it would have leaded too. Unless the alloy, or size of the bullet was changed to adjust. By, the way, is your bullet something that you could size a thou bigger? Might be a good thing to try anyhow. 

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #53 - Jan 3rd, 2017 at 12:05am
Print Post  
Joe,
I think the leading issue you had is highly unusual, unless your using over 16.5 gr.

Using JSL, I've tested 16.1 & 16.5 gr 4227, (15 twist) using a PJ, 208 gr bullet (22/1). My regular load is 14.8 gr, all w/o leading. The PJ 208 gr is 1.170 long. It won't stabilise in my Douglas 16 twist, at all.

My only thought is that your BS depth or base band fit, might have been marginal, to begin with or the lube failed.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #54 - Jan 3rd, 2017 at 12:20pm
Print Post  
I agree with Frank. I just didn't want to question the small powder charge increase after another poster practically said that was what he does more or less as a matter of course when the temps change. All too confusing for me up here in the high altitude.

IP Logged

jfeldman
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #55 - Jan 3rd, 2017 at 12:49pm
Print Post  
I do know that my bullet is marginal in that 16 twist - it's 1.168 in length. I haven't played a lot with the seating depth, there's .045" of the base band not engraved by the rifling. You might also have something in regards to the lube.  I mix my own and try to keep it at 50/50 alox and beeswax.  I haven't gone above 15.0 gr of 4227 and I don't size the bullets.  They come out of the mold at .0015 to .002 over groove size.  I haven't gotten any leading since going to the harder alloy.  I do appreciate you guy's comments and suggestions, I might be able to wring a little more accuracy out of this thing.
Sure would like to shoot another 250! Grin

Regards, Joe

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #56 - Jan 5th, 2017 at 6:32pm
Print Post  
Thank you for the added info, Joe. I'm suprized that you've got that long of a bullet to stop tipping. I tried to shoot a Ron Long bullet, that was 1.16 long in my 16 twist and couldn't get it to go straight, I fixed that by cutting .050 off the base band and it was competitive with my 15 twist shooting the same 1.16 long bullet (I had a mold for each rifle).

One thing to remmber, regarding button rifling (at least with Douglas barrels) is that they only guarantee the twist to 1/2 inch, meaning 16.5 to 15.5.

Now, for the nose slump guys. There is a guy that is shooting the PB, CBA class, that lives in Seattle and winning most of the matches. I haven't met him but our own SchuetzenMeister (Bob) has shot with him. I asked Bob to varify what alloy he is using to eliminate a typo in his equipment listing in the match results and what he is listing as his alloy is correct.

John Stewart, Miller DeHaas, 32 Miller Short, Krieger 14 twist, 36X Leuplod, PJ 32002 - 213 gr, .3225 base band, 40/1, Lube LBT Soft, 10.8 gr #9, CCI SR

I have never tried 40/1, I've tested 30/1 and used it for a time but after shooting a match that I wasn't happy with, I went back to 20/1.

As many people know, the PJ 32002 is a full spitzer with a 4 caliber ogive, the longest ogive that most shoot.

What do you think about 40/1? I'm going to try it this spring, for sure!

Frank
« Last Edit: Jan 5th, 2017 at 6:37pm by frnkeore »  

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

RayH
Oldtimer

ASSRA # 10880

Reply #57 - Jan 5th, 2017 at 7:41pm
Print Post  
HEY!  Do cast bullets really soften with age?
This concept throws a wrench into the "works", doesn't it?
What say you ............ ?

In GOD We Trust

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #58 - Jan 5th, 2017 at 7:49pm
Print Post  
I believe I shot with John Stewart at the 2006 Nationals. If it is the same fellow he shot to the right of me and a very nice gentleman. When you say John is winning allot of matches what are his scores? Winning is dependent on the competition and the number of individuals shooting the match and by not knowing it could just be a false indicator to the success of the alloy being used. An example would be there a is club posting scores with an average of from two to four shooting the any sight score matches. Some of the scores are quite low and not a true indication of the average scores being shot by other clubs. So one should be aware of who is providing the direction if one wants to achieve National Match success and thus my question. I tried to look it up on the CBA Web site and they seem to have improved it and now I can't find the current scores or those from years past and it used to be quite simple?

JLouis

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #59 - Jan 5th, 2017 at 7:58pm
Print Post  
Ray when health was better I would pre-cast 2500-3000 bullets in Dec. and Jan. to get me started for the new year when it was to cold to shoot. I would not lube them until the day before they were to be used and I never saw anything that a slight change in powder charge would not correct if need be.

JLouis

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 
Send TopicPrint