Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Remington #1 Sporter .22cal (Read 8446 times)
blunderbus41

Remington #1 Sporter .22cal
Dec 27th, 2016 at 4:05pm
Print Post  
Hi Folks, Why does my Remington slam the hammer to 1/2 cock when I close the breach?  Does not do this constantly but when it happens I sometime have my left thumb smacked! ouch!!  john

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Remington #1 Sporter .22cal
Reply #1 - Dec 27th, 2016 at 4:20pm
Print Post  
Well, for pity's sake, take your thumb outta there, so it'll go down to the 'fire' position.  Grin

IP Logged

blunderbus41

Reply #2 - Dec 27th, 2016 at 5:02pm
Print Post  
Oldtimer you did not read carefully! I said it would go to 1/2 cock. john

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

tbird1960
Senior Forum Member

He shoulda armed himself.

Reply #3 - Dec 27th, 2016 at 5:32pm
Print Post  
Someone has worked on the trigger pull and that is causing the problem.

NRA Patron, Whittington Center Founders Club, Life Member TSRA, Life Member HGCA Distinguished Rifleman Badge #783

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Dec 27th, 2016 at 6:20pm
Print Post  
Blunder- I read perfectly. I meant that your damn thumb was in the way, keeping it at half cock. Not my name either. 
It was meant to be a joke. Somebody messed with that gun, and you didn't check it 'fore purchase, or ya did it on yer own. You tell me.
And, why is your thumb under there anyhow? I close 'em with my right hand and don't get in the way of the hammer to begin with. I'm done now. Shocked

IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Dec 27th, 2016 at 7:25pm
Print Post  
Probably a 1 1/2 that a home gunsmith worked on.

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. Let's Go Sonny!

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #6 - Dec 27th, 2016 at 7:58pm
Print Post  
It could be a light trigger return spring, or it could be the full cock notch. Either could allow the gun's hammer to drop to half cock when lowering the block. 
Another thing to check is the block surface itself on top to see if the hammer is riding the block. If it is you'll see the drag marks from the hammer on the top of the block. Another sign that the full cock notch has been messed with.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Dec 27th, 2016 at 10:36pm
Print Post  
It is almost certainly a trigger that has been messed with, or a hammer sear notch that has been recut.  A light trigger spring, as long as it will return the trigger to the hammer notch at all, will not cause a hammer to fall at an improper time if the trigger/sear geometry is correct.

Remington cut the trigger and hammer sears perfectly square with each other, and perfectly neutral; they neither push together, nor push towards release.  Many people in trying to lower the trigger pull, stone one or both away from the neutral geometry, so that the hammer spring tension actually helps the trigger to release.  They then use the trigger spring to balance this off, so that the rifle hopefully does not accidentally fire.  This is not a safe, stable situation, and the rifle needs repaired back to a correct, safe configuration of a perfectly square, neutral geometry.

IP Logged

ballardhepburnmich
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #8 - Dec 27th, 2016 at 11:28pm
Print Post  
It is also possible that you are not always pulling the hammer back quite far enough to catch the fullcock notch every time.
Lee

IP Logged

roller64
Participating Member

Reply #9 - Jan 24th, 2017 at 3:27pm
Print Post  
safety(block) lever is not adjusted properly,, pull hammer back open the block and pull on the trigger . any movement at all means the lever is not holding the sear in place. when you close the block the sear may not be engaged properly and will  let the hammer fall , sometimes .  If no movement in this procedure then trigger job it is 
« Last Edit: Jan 24th, 2017 at 3:48pm by roller64 »  
IP Logged

George Babits
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Jan 24th, 2017 at 6:49pm
Print Post  
Is that really a #1 in 22 caliber?  If so it must have been rebarreled at some point.  I'm wondering if the action didn't start out as a New York Militia rifle.  Those rifles, and some of the Remington Springfield army models also used the "safety" action.

Easy enough to tell by looking at the trigger assembly.  It will have 3 or 4 more parts than the standard #1 action.

George

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #11 - Jan 24th, 2017 at 8:43pm
Print Post  
George Babits wrote on Jan 24th, 2017 at 6:49pm:
Is that really a #1 in 22 caliber?  If so it must have been rebarreled at some point.  I'm wondering if the action didn't start out as a New York Militia rifle.  Those rifles, and some of the Remington Springfield army models also used the "safety" action.

Easy enough to tell by looking at the trigger assembly.  It will have 3 or 4 more parts than the standard #1 action.

George

Not necessarily. Marcot states in his book that Remington made #1 in .22RF, as does John Gyde' in his book on Remington .22's.

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Jan 24th, 2017 at 9:15pm
Print Post  
I've owned several #1's in .22.  I have a .45-90 that I rebarreled from .22 RF, also have the .22 RF block that I can shoot .22 in it with.  It was a real nice rifle with traces of case, but the barrel was trashed and wood was sanded down.  Made me a great rifle to shoot.  Have another .22 RF action in my action cabinet, it was in such decrepit condition that I parted it out, but kept the action to make another rifle.  It is in nice condition on the action.  I had a third action that I traded parts with to old Whitey, he was going to rebarrel it, don't know if he ever did.    I've also bought and sold a couple of others.  All of them were the full width, stepped action ring #1, not the flat sided # 1 1/2.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #13 - Jan 25th, 2017 at 10:11am
Print Post  
Dave, I think I ended up with that old Sporter action you traded to Whitey! We did a trade for something Whitey wanted, and I got the action. It was the .40-65 you ended up with from JAP, and later sold to SF.
Small world huh?

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Jan 25th, 2017 at 10:38am
Print Post  
Yeah, Val,

My wife says there's only about 5 or 10 of us old guys out there that are interested in this stuff, all with a basement full of it, and we occasionally trade some of it from your basement to mine.

I am going to get rid of most of my stuff, as I move into my new house and shop.  I've already got rid of a lot of it over the past 3 or 4 years.  The hard part is deciding which part of it is surplus.  A lot of it I could never get again if I wanted to.   

I'm looking forward to having some space and equipment again.  I have several project ideas that I'd like to work on.  If I can find the parts.  I should probably finish the last 10 projects too.  I want to build an english safari rifle in 375 2 1/2" nitro.  I want to finish off my Remington #4L Ladies model.  Restore my H&A Junior in .45-70.  (don't shoot that one, though).  Rebarrel and restock the goofy H&A Schuetzen I got with a hand file fit Anschutz barrel and Zimmerstutzen/wood putty stock.  Maybe barrel a hepburn.  Load some brass shells for my 20 and 12 ga H&A's to shoot birds with.  Get back into shooting .22 with my 40x and my Ballard bench rifle.  Finish the stock on my Ballard .22 Schuetzen.  It will be good to have a fully furnished shop again.  It's been 12 years since I moved out of my shop and had limited space in the interim, and none for the past two years.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint