Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Help identifying a Stevens Walnut Hill .22 Hornet (Read 1919 times)
Brer Cottonmouth

Help identifying a Stevens Walnut Hill .22 Hornet
Dec 24th, 2016 at 7:12pm
Print Post  
I've acquired a nice Stevens Walnut Hill target rifle in .22 Hornet that belonged to my wife's grandfather. He was a chemical engineer at Dow Chemical Co and was experimenting with manganese alloys, so he added a manganese butt plate, fore end, and pistol-grip end. I can't find a serial no. or model no. on this rifle, so if anyone can help me identify it, I'd appreciate it. 

This is a beautiful firearm, though I haven't fired it yet because the old Weaver scope is cloudy so you can't get a good sight picture. And there are some odd features about this rifle. One, there is no safety, or even half cock. And when you work the lever to chamber a round, the hammer doesn't cock, meaning that you have to thumb cock it. But the small hammer spur makes that difficult and uncomfortable. Is this normal for a Walnut Hill? 

I hope the photo I've tried to attach will give someone enough info to help me identify this rifle. 

Thanks guys.

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Help identifying a Stevens Walnut Hill .22 Hornet
Reply #1 - Dec 24th, 2016 at 8:17pm
Print Post  
Something you might check on to see if it applies to your particular rifle...

The speed lock is extremely fast, the rifle firing from what may be termed the "half cock" position of the hammer. Pulling the hammer all the way back to the "full cock" position sets the hammer at "Safe."

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Dec 24th, 2016 at 9:02pm
Print Post  
Should be speed lock as previously stated. If the barrel is marked Walnut Hill it should be one. Stock is not factory. The loop lever was an option as I recall. Think I have one on a .22. The .22 Hornet is extremely hard to find in these. Too bad the stock has been changed. I recomend light loads and .223 bullets if you can find them. Early .22 Hornets had .223 barrels instead of .224. The 44 action proved to be not strong enough to handle the Hornet and tended to loosen up the action quickly. Thats why they droped it after a year or so. They are accurate like most Stevens but I recomend light loads and shooting it sparingly with .223 bullets. Seria should still have them. More photos especially of the barrel markings would be helpful.

IP Logged

Brer Cottonmouth

Reply #3 - Dec 24th, 2016 at 10:26pm
Print Post  
Thanks so much for your expertise. I guess my wife's grandfather altered this rifle more than I suspected. He put his personal touch on many of his firearms, so I'm not surprised to hear that he added his own stock. He was a left hander, so he probably added a modification to suit his left-handedness. Can anyone identify the model? 

Can you give me more info on the speed lock? As far as I can tell, there's only two positions for the hammer—against the firing pin, and full cock. You can pull the hammer back beyond full cock, but it won't stay in that position.

Here's a photo of the barrel, marked "Walnut Hill". I've also held off firing it because of advice from forum members who say it shouldn't take a factory load. Maybe this is just something to hang on the wall as a family heirloom. It sure is a beautiful rifle.
« Last Edit: Dec 26th, 2016 at 11:42pm by Brer Cottonmouth »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint