Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Adjusting Single Set trigger on Stevens 44 1/2 (Read 4502 times)
AZshot

Adjusting Single Set trigger on Stevens 44 1/2
Dec 24th, 2016 at 11:52am
Print Post  
Now that I've shot my Stevens no. 56 a few times, I'm thinking I want the trigger lighter. It has a single set (push to set) type, but it is not much lighter than when it's unset.  I shot it in a silhouette match last weekend, and only hit about 1/4 as many as I do with my Winchester 52.  The rifle shoots well off the bench, but I also had to really concentrate on follow through, or I would pull the shots.  

The main cause I can attribute it to is the relatively heavy trigger, even when set.  I'd say it's over a pound, perhaps 2.  It clicks and operates well, just is heavey. I've emailed CPA this question too, but does anyone know how to adjust this factory trigger?  

I see a screw in the top of the trigger, but have not played with it, for fear of breaking something before I know the proper procedure.  It appears to be an over travel stop screw, in reverse.  E.G. it stops the amount you push the trigger forward, when setting.  I'm not sure adjusting that will do anything to lighten it, but it may.  Thanks!

« Last Edit: Dec 24th, 2016 at 12:07pm by AZshot »  

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: Adjusting Single Set trigger on Stevens 44 1/2
Reply #1 - Dec 24th, 2016 at 12:30pm
Print Post  
Simply turn the screw in to lighten the pull. I adjust my set triggers by setting them, and trying them. Once I get them where it feels good, I bounce the gun on the buttplate on a rubber pad I have on the floor. If the hammer drops, it's not safe, and I back it out 1/8-1/4 turn until it passes the bump test.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Dec 24th, 2016 at 12:41pm
Print Post  
If points were awarded on a gun's looks, you'd have no competition in that match or any other; but lovely as it is, it's expecting a lot for this gun to shoot with a 52, even if you correct the trigger problem.  Should be a very noticeable difference between set and unset, if everything is properly adjusted.  If turning the adjustment screw clockwise doesn't reduce the pull weight, something must be out of kilter.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Dec 24th, 2016 at 12:47pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Dec 24th, 2016 at 12:30pm:
Once I get them where it feels good, I bounce the gun on the buttplate on a rubber pad I have on the floor. If the hammer drops, it's not safe, and I back it out 1/8-1/4 turn until it passes the bump test.

Sounds like rather a severe test for most set triggers.  Even the trigger on my 52, as I have it adjusted, would probably fail.

IP Logged

AZshot

Reply #4 - Dec 24th, 2016 at 12:59pm
Print Post  
Thanks all, let me go play with the adjustment.  I also found some older posts that show the schematic.  I'll get it somewhat light, it doesn't have to be a hair trigger.  

It was the most compelling gun at the range every time I go.  People all want to know what it is.  

UPDATE: Well that was uneventful.  I dropped a little oil on the screw, and turned it about 3/4 turn.  The trigger is much lighter now.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: Dec 24th, 2016 at 1:08pm by AZshot »  

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #5 - Dec 24th, 2016 at 4:55pm
Print Post  
Redsetter wrote on Dec 24th, 2016 at 12:47pm:

Sounds like rather a severe test for most set triggers.  Even the trigger on my 52, as I have it adjusted, would probably fail.

Why would you call that "severe"? It's not like I'm slamming the buttplate into a concrete floor, or even hitting it hard on my rubber pad! Simply bumping it on the rubber pad to ensure it wont accidentally drop the hammer. If your gun fails under a light bump on a rubber pad, it's possible it could go off before you're ready.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Dec 24th, 2016 at 8:44pm
Print Post  
The primary reason I quit doing BP matches is rifles not passing the "Close the Action Test."   Cry

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Dec 24th, 2016 at 9:00pm
Print Post  
Schuetzenmiester wrote on Dec 24th, 2016 at 8:44pm:
The primary reason I quit doing BP matches is rifles not passing the "Close the Action Test."   Cry

One of my 52s doesn't pass the "Close the Action Test" in any hands but mine, which I didn't know even after shooting thousands of rounds through it, until one day at my range I asked a couple of my friends if they'd care to try a "really great" trigger.  Neither could close the bolt with firing it, though they each tried several times!  They thought I was exercising some magic power over it, even though I was operating the bolt without, I thought, excessive care.

IP Logged

Travelor

Reply #8 - Dec 25th, 2016 at 8:02am
Print Post  
In talking to Gail at CPA I was told the trigger adjustment screw on their actions only adjusts any over travel.  Not trigger pull weight.

Hope I'm wrong - usually am.................

Merry Christmas to all

IP Logged

AZshot

Reply #9 - Dec 25th, 2016 at 8:48am
Print Post  
Perhaps on their CPA actions.  But this is an original Stevens.  Adjusting the screw does not adjust overtravel, because no part of it touches the frame rear.  When you pull the trigger back, that screw is not part of the action.  What it does adjust is how far you push it forward when setting it.  

I also went here learning what to do, and he says you adjust the screw of a single set trigger to lighten it.  It did seem to lighten mine, quickly.  

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) Shows the screw and set trigger in a schematic drawing.  I repost above. 

« Last Edit: Dec 25th, 2016 at 8:56am by AZshot »  

IP Logged

AZshot

Reply #10 - Dec 25th, 2016 at 9:00am
Print Post  
On set trigger safety, my practice has been to not set the trigger until coming up on target.  If I drop the rifle at that point, hopefully it's pointed down range.  I'd never set a set trigger then carry the gun anywhere, it's set a couple seconds before firing.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Dec 25th, 2016 at 12:37pm
Print Post  
God knows where you'd find a copy, or at what price, but Frank DeHaas wrote an excellent 50 page booklet entirely devoted to the use of set triggers.

IP Logged

JS47
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Dec 25th, 2016 at 11:47pm
Print Post  
Travelor wrote on Dec 25th, 2016 at 8:02am:
In talking to Gail at CPA I was told the trigger adjustment screw on their actions only adjusts any over travel.  Not trigger pull weight.

Hope I'm wrong - usually am.................

Merry Christmas to all

The CPA trigger adjustment doesn't effect over travel.  That happens after the trigger breaks.  The adjustment effects sear engagement which will lighten or increase the pull weight some.  If I try to adjust either of mine to more than 4-5 oz. all I get is more creep.  At 2-4 oz. it's a very clean pull so that's where I leave them and I'm happy with that.

JS

IP Logged

Travelor

Reply #13 - Dec 26th, 2016 at 7:30am
Print Post  
I stand corrected.   

Thanks for the information.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint