Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Re: Rare Ruger side hammer prototype (Read 14588 times)
bnice
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Rare Ruger side hammer prototype
Reply #15 - Dec 25th, 2016 at 4:36pm
Print Post  
If possible could you post a full view for the two. My hat is off to you for you great work. Happy Holidays to all!

IP Logged

jhm
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Dec 25th, 2016 at 5:21pm
Print Post  
That is amazing........

JMH

IP Logged

LRF
Oldtimer

Reply #17 - Dec 25th, 2016 at 6:07pm
Print Post  
I started a new thread on this forum showing the rifle pictures

I wish Westerner would post more info concerning the Ruger. In the late 1970's I added side plates to a #1 for Don Allen. The plates I added were just dummy plates for, if I remember correctly, engraving surface. Only thing I dont care much for on the Ruger posted here is the screws in the plate. IMO the screw should have the head on the other side of the gun. 
I would also like to know if in fact the hammer is actually functional which I believe it is and then a picture of the other side of the action would be nice to see.
« Last Edit: Dec 26th, 2016 at 9:28am by LRF »  

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #18 - Dec 26th, 2016 at 9:12am
Print Post  
I'm guessing the hammer "functions", but probably still uses the striker internally to actually fire the gun.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

LRF
Oldtimer

Reply #19 - Dec 26th, 2016 at 9:42am
Print Post  
I agree Vall that the hammer probably swings forward but the question is does it function in firing the gun. If still using the factory hammerless mechanism then I would ask why go to all the work. If you need a side hammer to compete why not just buy a 1874 Sharps replica.
I am hoping it actual does fire the gun because that would be neat and cool. The basic look of the rifle, other then my one comment, is pretty nice. I still have one 1877 Sharp hammer that I should use on something. Smiley

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #20 - Dec 26th, 2016 at 9:51am
Print Post  
I sure don't see any way that hammer could strike anything to fire the Ruger? But as for why, it's likely the builder wanted to make something that would get people scratching their heads. Plus be able to shoot it in matches that require an exposed hammer.
I've seen guys spend a lot of time building things that make me scratch my head and ask, "Isn't there an easier or cheaper way?"
But the answer is that they usually just love building something that nobody else has.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

LRF
Oldtimer

Reply #21 - Dec 27th, 2016 at 9:33am
Print Post  
If they are using the "factory" firing mechanism and also the massive side hammer swinging forward, that would seriously degrade the lock time. People would be curious but lose interest quickly in the failed design.
I think the side hammer fires the gun, IMO. The breechblock would have to be remade but that certainly isn't that big of a deal once a design had been realized. Add a Sharps style firing pin and you have it.
But, the why is my question???? 
Westener, can you provide more information concerning the what, how and who of the rifle?

IP Logged

LRF
Oldtimer

Reply #22 - Dec 27th, 2016 at 1:11pm
Print Post  
The work seems to be of good quality so one just has to wonder why? That was not a 5 minute job so seems to be a waste of good workmanship. 
The pistol would be a worthy project but again if just for show what would be the purpose?
I had a fine custom rifle I built in 416 Rigby and it did do a good job of keeping Elephants off my street but when I finally realized I did not actual have that much of an interest to go to Africa I sold immediately.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - Dec 27th, 2016 at 1:29pm
Print Post  
Obviously because he could and to make us wonder "Why?" Grin

Basically the same reason I have thought about making a flintlock in the form of an AR to take to a ML match  Shocked

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - Dec 28th, 2016 at 11:50am
Print Post  
westerner wrote on Dec 27th, 2016 at 9:46am:
The hammer is non functional. I don't know the reason why. There is a slight cut in the top corner of the BB for effect. The owner/gunsmith has a sense of humor. He is currently building a Howdah pistol.  We assume the tigers and elephant are on order.  Trophy tigers, that is.

Why did E.J.Potter (the original Michigan Madman) stuff a 350 smallblock sideways into a beefed-up Harley frame and take it to the drags?   To blow a few minds....and it's working, innit?

<div class=

IP Logged

Ray_Newman
Senior Forum Member

Reply #25 - Dec 28th, 2016 at 8:29pm
Print Post  
About 20 plus years ago, a fellow Shooter gave me some old copies of Precision Shooting.

One issue had an article about a Ruger #1 converted to a functioning side hammer. For some reason, a .30-40 calibre sticks in my mind. The gunsmith doing the work said it was a one-of-a-kind job as the amount of work involved was too much to do again and would be too expensive.

ASSRA Life #194
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

gewehrfreund
Senior Forum Member

Reply #26 - Dec 29th, 2016 at 8:44am
Print Post  
Ray_Newman wrote on Dec 28th, 2016 at 8:29pm:
About 20 plus years ago, a fellow Shooter gave me some old copies of Precision Shooting.

One issue had an article about a Ruger #1 converted to a functioning side hammer. For some reason, a .30-40 calibre sticks in my mind. The gunsmith doing the work said it was a one-of-a-kind job as the amount of work involved was too much to do again and would be too expensive.   

I think you're recalling a side-lever custom rifle, not a side hammer example.
That beautiful rifle was put together by (I believe) Steven Dodd Hughes and another talented fellow whose name escapes me.

IP Logged

LRF
Oldtimer

Reply #27 - Dec 29th, 2016 at 12:18pm
Print Post  
I believe you may be correct and it is in Steven's book. The guy who made it, name starts with M if i remember. I have the book and can look it up if I must. I personally thought what a lot of work to do to get to a poor example of a Fraser. And when all said and done its still a Ruger.

IP Logged

jy3855
Senior Forum Member

Reply #28 - Dec 29th, 2016 at 8:03pm
Print Post  
Relatively speaking, it seems to me (though I am neither a gunsmith nor a machinist) that converting a Ruger SS to a functional external side hammer would be easier than a side lever.  I'd be loathe to give up the safety of the internal hammer and no gas or projectile rifle parts pathway to the shooter's face, if you have a firing pin path through the breech block.

IP Logged

Rayzor450-400

Reply #29 - Jan 5th, 2017 at 3:29pm
Print Post  
I've seen similar conversions that also had  Alex Henry type button releases. Person to me it was to make it BPCR legal as I recall. I had wanted a left Hammer conversion similar.  Friend that showed them to me has now passed so I wouldn't know how to get info.   

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint