Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Questions about a High Wall (Read 9980 times)
Squirrel Pizza
Participating Member

Questions about a High Wall
Dec 18th, 2016 at 8:11pm
Print Post  
Hello all, 
A buddy of mine was at his favorite gun store and sent me a picture of a custom High Wall in 32-40 with a 20x Lyman Super Targetspot, a couple hundred brass, bullets, dies, extras, $1500! I told him it was a no brainer, buy the thing. He did. Come to find out the barrel is marked K R Briesen Warsaw, NY. 
Found an old article "Riflemagazine.com. Jan-Feb 1984, number 91" about him. Not much more. Can anyone lead me to more info on Mr. Briesen? Any thoughts as to value range? Rifle has either been loved or shot very little. Nice wood, but plain Jane. What I would call an honest rifle. Wood is checkered.
Question two is on the trigger plate immediately behind the trigger is "AT Oct 7th 79". I know Mr. Browning applied for the patent on the single shot rifle in 1878, so maybe this is a patent date, but can anyone educate me as to "AT"?
The serial number leads me to an 1893 manufacture year. 
Thanks for you're input, Merry Christmas all!
« Last Edit: Dec 18th, 2016 at 8:50pm by Squirrel Pizza »  

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Questions about a High Wall
Reply #1 - Dec 18th, 2016 at 8:25pm
Print Post  
The "at" is the remainder of the patent info on the tang. Sometimes they got light rollstamping, but most have been buffed off by refinishing. Ken Briesen was pretty famous, but I've no particular info on him or his work. Heck of a deal your friend got if it's like you say. Like getting the scope and brass, etc. for free.

IP Logged

Squirrel Pizza
Participating Member

Reply #2 - Dec 18th, 2016 at 8:53pm
Print Post  
The serial numbers and stampings are crisp and clean. Can't see any sign of refinishing as far as they are concerned

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Dec 18th, 2016 at 9:45pm
Print Post  
Though I never met him, he relined 4, I think, .22 RFs for me, and they were the best jobs of that kind I ever had done--by far.  This was before TJ's liners became available, so he made the liners by turning down Douglas Premium blanks.   

However, I think his main interest was actually bench-rest muzzle-loaders, and he was snowed-under with that work; each of my re-line jobs were in his shop a year or more.

I have a copy of a 3-page piece about him published in the August, '98 Muzzle Blasts, which is the only write up about his work I've ever seen.

When I first heard he'd retired about 20 yrs ago, I called to ask if he'd do one more reline for an "old customer."  Negatory, was his answer.

IP Logged

Saratoga Bill
Participating Member

Reply #4 - Dec 18th, 2016 at 9:57pm
Print Post  
Unfortunately, we lost Ken a few years ago. I think he was best known for his heavy muzzle loading bench rest rifles, both round ball and slug guns. He was a national level competitor at Friendship and shot at Saratoga and Ticonderoga in NY. I may have the last barrel he cut when he switched to making violins. The gentleman was extremely talented.

Bill

IP Logged

Squirrel Pizza
Participating Member

Reply #5 - Dec 18th, 2016 at 9:59pm
Print Post  
Thanks Redsetter, one of his muzzleloaders is for sale at Dixie Gun Works. If memory serves, 42" inline w/false muzzle. Don't remember caliber. If you're interested I'll send the address for the article I found. Or go to riflemagazine.com #91. Only a page or two but I know a little more about him than I did 3 days ago.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Dec 18th, 2016 at 11:13pm
Print Post  
Squirrel Pizza wrote on Dec 18th, 2016 at 9:59pm:
Thanks Redsetter, one of his muzzleloaders is for sale at Dixie Gun Works. If memory serves, 42" inline w/false muzzle. Don't remember caliber. If you're interested I'll send the address for the article I found. Or go to riflemagazine.com #91. Only a page or two but I know a little more about him than I did 3 days ago.

Thanks, but though I'd completely forgotten about it, I actually have a complete run of the Rifle from issue No. 1 until the late '90s.  I'll provide you with a copy of the piece I have if you wish. 

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Dec 19th, 2016 at 1:55am
Print Post  
Ken Briesen was also the guy that sold his Stevens 44 1/2 repro business to Paul Shuttleworth. So, I guess he would also be considered the founding father of the CPA's.

I most likely bought the last of his 44 1/2's from him in 1986.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Squirrel Pizza
Participating Member

Reply #8 - Dec 19th, 2016 at 2:01am
Print Post  
Thank you Redsetter and yes, if it's not too much trouble I'd love a copy! A Erik thanks you as well. He's taking the rifle out for a test drive tomorrow. Looking forward to hearing the results but I'm pretty sure he'll be hooked! Much appreciated!

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #9 - Dec 19th, 2016 at 9:49am
Print Post  
Ken was a renaissance man he made barrels and then violins and any work he did was top notch. His first love was slug guns but he also did many single shot barrels. In the 70s and 80s the best barrels to have were either a Ken Briesen or a Berry Darr. Ken made barrels and all manner of single shot stuff. He often took on “Impossible” jobs just to see if he could do it. As some one else mentioned he made a run of 44 ½ actions that became the Basis for CPA. Kens actions were exactly like the originals, Paul’s 44 ½ were redesigned but Ken’s work was the basis. If you have one of Kens barrels it’s a good one, nothing left Kens shop unless it was right.

40 Rod

IP Logged

FITZ
Oldtimer

REGARDS

Reply #10 - Dec 19th, 2016 at 10:06am
Print Post  
Ken actually "retired" at least twice from Barrel making. But within a few years returned as he made more money that way than with his wood working efforts. Not that he was not good at it just that he had a better following in the shooting game. He rebored and made from scratch some really fine Schuetzen
rifles. Here in the New England area he was our go-to guy. I have a full Helm style by him in 32-40 and until you look close you could not tell it from a top of the line from Winchester. He passed about two years ago I think, or close to that. He is missed and in any grouping of Schuetzen enthusiasts here in New England his name comes up. It was many years before I became aware of his reputation in the Heavy Slug Gun game. At a Club match yesterday a friend brought his name up about a Cross Patch Slug Gun Rifle he owns and shoots by Briesen.
Could not say enough about how well it shoots. HTH Regards, FITZ. Smiley

FITZ

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Dec 19th, 2016 at 10:33am
Print Post  
FITZ wrote on Dec 19th, 2016 at 10:06am:

Here in the New England area he was our go-to guy.

He was everyone's, if they knew how to reach him!  Which accounted for the patience required if you sent him work.  Far as I know, he never advertised, yet stayed snowed under.  What a loss that he never found an apprentice to learn from him, and continue his level of craftsmanship.

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #12 - Dec 19th, 2016 at 11:39am
Print Post  
For about two years after he retired from making barrels he would show up at Friendship with a few barrels for Special customers. and every match a couple of guys would show up and ask Ken could you make just one more barrel for me? He had so sell his barrel making equipment to get out of the business.

40 Rod

IP Logged

Squirrel Pizza
Participating Member

Reply #13 - Dec 19th, 2016 at 12:30pm
Print Post  
He sounds like quite a fellow. Even printed the admiration in your words shine clearly. It's rare to meet folks with such talent, and it's nice that he's remembered so fondly.Reminds me of a renaissance man I had the pleasure of knowing and apprenticing to at Stone Mountain Armory in Georgia. Robert Watts. He's been gone 18 odd years now. For some reason I feel much older than I did 20 minutes ago. Come full circle, my buddy Erik who bought the rifle I'm asking about walked into Bob's shop and ended up buying the first real flintlock rifle I made under Watts' tutelage. Stood up with me at my wedding, and finally a couple months ago sold me back my rifle! Boy time flies! Carpe Diem!
Please keep the info on Mr. Briesen coming. I'm enjoying learning about him. Thanks all, Mike

IP Logged

Timber
Participating Member

Reply #14 - Dec 20th, 2016 at 6:07pm
Print Post  
Thanks Squirrel Pizza...I am trying to post a picture of the Briesen high wall. Sounds like I have a lot of learning to do (including patience)....  first 4 reloads powder combinations got me nothing fantastic, mostly 2-3" with 5 shots at 100 yards.  One group was one inch, except for one round that drug group size to 2".  Neat rifle from another era.  I  am a long way from investing in breech starting, not even sure it's possible with high Combe and scope?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint