Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Questions about a High Wall (Read 10003 times)
Timber
Participating Member

Re: Questions about a High Wall
Reply #15 - Dec 20th, 2016 at 6:13pm
Print Post  
It has a very heavy 1" diameter at muzzle. I assume Mr. Briesen did stock work as well?

IP Logged

FITZ
Oldtimer

REGARDS

Reply #16 - Dec 20th, 2016 at 8:59pm
Print Post  
I am a Pope enthusiast. But it is obvious from some of the 200 Yd. Scores and Groups being shot today that we now have some Barrel Makers and Smiths fitting them up that Pope has at least been equaled. Not to take anything away from Pope as his Machinery today was in no way the equal of the equipment available. We have High Accuracy Spindles and positioning to 
.0001 and even less in some Multi Axis Machining centers. I envy the young guy's I see running these Machines. And they are not all OPERATORS' They in many cases do their own programming and debugging. Solid Carbide Gun Drills in infinite sizes that produce beautiful finished holes as drilled. and straight to a few Ten Thousandths. I have become convinced that what the old time barrel makers had figured out that what was needed was an initial straight hole. And you then carried the quality on from there. 
  As far as Ken doing Stock work I never heard that he did. Not saying he did not but I suspect that when he was doing Barrels the stock work went to some one else. Not sure but maybe Andy Z. could speak to that. HTH, Regards. FITZ Smiley

FITZ

IP Logged

Timber
Participating Member

Reply #17 - Dec 20th, 2016 at 9:46pm
Print Post  
It amazes me what those old timers in the late 1800's and early 1900's accomplished with respect to firearms (some old timers on this forum, no offense meant).  I love the old stuff, walnut and steel...and you really aren't lacking in performance and certainly not quality when u can find one that has been taken care of.  I love the Glocks and Black Rifles too...means less interest in the old rifles except a small group of which the internet makes into a large group!

Thanks FITZ

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #18 - Dec 21st, 2016 at 8:28am
Print Post  
Ken did some stock work but the real wood master in Western NY was Dick Watrus. Dick was capable of doing very fine work. He never used glass thought it was a hackers way to fit wood. 

40 Rod

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #19 - Dec 21st, 2016 at 10:33am
Print Post  
Timber wrote on Dec 20th, 2016 at 6:07pm:
Thanks Squirrel Pizza...I am trying to post a picture of the Briesen high wall. Sounds like I have a lot of learning to do (including patience)....  first 4 reloads powder combinations got me nothing fantastic, mostly 2-3" with 5 shots at 100 yards.  One group was one inch, except for one round that drug group size to 2".  Neat rifle from another era.  I  am a long way from investing in breech starting, not even sure it's possible with high Combe and scope?

What a great find! That's a whole lot of gun for the price you paid! Your stock configuration has nothing to do with breech seating bullets, as the seating tools for most 1885 actions don't come close to the stock, and most lever in from the action at the right side, so scope clearance wont be an issue either.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

FITZ
Oldtimer

REGARDS

Reply #20 - Dec 21st, 2016 at 10:35am
Print Post  
Did Watrus mark his stock work in any way. Would like to know as I have a Briesen Helm style Scheutzen and am not sure if the Wood is original Winchester or new made. Is in perfect condition. Regards, FITZ. Smiley

FITZ

IP Logged

Timber
Participating Member

Reply #21 - Dec 21st, 2016 at 6:37pm
Print Post  
Thanks Marliguy, maybe next year I'll invest in a breech seating tool.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Dec 21st, 2016 at 7:41pm
Print Post  
This link should take you to the Bresien Stevens 441/2 33-47 LH twist that I owned. Unfortuantly an injury brought on some hard times and I had to let go. It was the best shooting and thee most extremly competitive rifle that I have ever owned to date and I was the third owner.

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Squirrel Pizza
Participating Member

Reply #23 - Dec 22nd, 2016 at 8:14am
Print Post  
JLouis, I believe I'd have to have had an amputation or a lobatamy to let that rifle go. Beautiful rifle!

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #24 - Dec 22nd, 2016 at 10:48am
Print Post  
Stunning rifle John!

IP Logged

Timber
Participating Member

Reply #25 - Dec 22nd, 2016 at 7:01pm
Print Post  
That rifle is out of my league!

IP Logged

FITZ-G

Reply #26 - Dec 27th, 2016 at 7:42pm
Print Post  
BUMP! Timber, I have sent you PM Message. Regards, FITZ. Smiley

IP Logged

LRF
Oldtimer

Reply #27 - Dec 27th, 2016 at 8:49pm
Print Post  
Hope these are easier to look at

IP Logged

Timber
Participating Member

Reply #28 - Dec 27th, 2016 at 10:31pm
Print Post  
Fritz you have challenged a cave man with a lightbulb! I'm searching to figure out the "how to" on "PMs"...it may take me a while! I'm searching...

IP Logged

FITZ-G

Reply #29 - Dec 28th, 2016 at 8:27pm
Print Post  
OK Timber, this is my second effort to responding to you. I somehow wiped out the first effort. Now, 4227 is an excellent Powder and has shown great results in calibers like, 32-40.33-40. 38-55. But just having a good Powder and correct charge is not all there is. You need a good bullet cast from a good alloy. That would be 20/1 Lead/Tin, or 25/1 Lead/Tin, 30/1 Lead/Tin and a good lubricant, and there are many. I cannot advise you enough to stick to known Alloys. Pure Lead and Tin that you either know its Tin content level is the way to go. I think you said something about Wheel Weights, Wrong, Wrong,
Wrong. Commercial purchased bullets usually are wrong also. To get good results in this game you have to go the limit. That Rifle you have acquired is truly capable of great accuracy, but you have to wring it out. Enough for now. By the way I am FITZ-G. Have somehow lost my identification. Regards, FITZ-G

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint