Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) New to Schuetzen - what caliber? (Read 12822 times)
John Boy
Ex Member

Re: New to Schuetzen - what caliber?
Reply #30 - Dec 24th, 2016 at 11:27am
Print Post  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
.28-30 Stevens
$65.00
20/Box

IP Logged

GeorgeC
Oldtimer

ASSRA 11411

Reply #31 - Dec 24th, 2016 at 12:24pm
Print Post  
Quote:
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
.28-30 Stevens
$65.00
20/Box

Does the .28-30 Stevens have to be lathe turned or are they resized from an available case?  I'm not that familiar with the .28-30 or with Rocky Mtn. Cartridge Co.  The prices give me sticker shock.  Of course, if one is BS'ing then the price isn't bad considering how long they will last.  They must be labor intensive to make.

Never mind the mule. Just load the wagon.
IP Logged

GeorgeC
Oldtimer

ASSRA 11411

Reply #32 - Dec 24th, 2016 at 12:50pm
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on Dec 22nd, 2016 at 3:23pm:
If by chance you are taking the 33-47 into consideration do not mistake it for the 33-40 they are not one in the same and a very easy but unfortunate mistake for one to make after having spent a good chunk of change. If you have any questions in regards to the above just send me a PM and I would be more than happy to explain it to you.

JLouis

This thread is a learning experience for me. I would like to thank all the contributors for the expert information.   
J Louis, your statement about there being a difference between the .33-40 & the .33_47 (which I assume were rebored .32-40). Could you post a reply explaining the difference between the .33-40 and the .33-47?  I did a search and basically all I found was the .33-47 is a blown out .32-40. My COW and Reloader's Guide books don't mention the .33-47. I did find a few references  saying it was and is one of the most accurate Schuetzen target rounds and your success with it proves it.  There might be some other shooters who would like to know, also.   

GeorgeC

Never mind the mule. Just load the wagon.
IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #33 - Dec 24th, 2016 at 1:02pm
Print Post  
George C the 33-47 is the 32-40 blown out to .338 and the chamber is cut so you can insert a bullet into a seater case or fixed for that matter thus the case now holds 47 grains of BP. The 33-40 is not blown out and it simply uses the 32-40 case as is and thus on can not get a bullet into the case for breech seating or fixed for that matter and still holds 40 grains of BP. I once owned a 33-40 for a very short time and I had to push the bullet in with an adjustable seater case and a seater that worked of the rear sight base cross screw. CPA cuts chambers for both so one has to be very specific about which one you he wants and this might hold true for others as well. The one I had was cut by CPA and it was that way when I bought it per the previous owner. Both are traditional and CPA still lists only the 33-40 and if they are doing the work and you are not specific that is what you will get and but maybe not what you want or think you are getting. They also have the 33-47 reamer and more typical of what one really wants and is looking for.

I hope this was said in a manner that was very clear to you so you now fully understand the differance and know exactly what to ask for no matter who might be doing the work.
Yours Sincerely
John Louis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #34 - Dec 24th, 2016 at 1:14pm
Print Post  
FYI, Not all 33-47 are blown  out.  Pope's ML / BS rifles use a standard 32-40 case with a .33 bullet that is approximately the outside diameter of the case mouth. It holds 47 grains of BP.  The .32-40 case will hold 47 grs without a bullet in the case as in fixed ammo.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint