Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) New to Schuetzen - what caliber? (Read 12813 times)
frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: New to Schuetzen - what caliber?
Reply #15 - Dec 19th, 2016 at 3:47pm
Print Post  
A little to much recoil.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

GeorgeC
Oldtimer

ASSRA 11411

Reply #16 - Dec 19th, 2016 at 8:37pm
Print Post  
If my suggestion has already been posted, please excuse the repeat.  Before you buy any rifle, go to a Schuetzen match or two or three and talk to the shooters.   You will probably get the opportunity to shoot some OH rifles.  This could save you money, time, and frustration in the long run.  
Look under the Announcements sub forum and try to find some shoots coming up near you. 
I own two CPA's (among others) and they are probably the best buy for quality that you can find, unless you have a full machine shop to build your own  or stick to a basic  "ready made" rifle.  Talk to Paul Shuttleworth, owner of CPA. He is an excellent source of information for where to start. You have received a wealth of information and opinions from some of the best shooters in the game.  JMHO.
GeorgeC 

Never mind the mule. Just load the wagon.
IP Logged

beltfed
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Dec 19th, 2016 at 9:00pm
Print Post  
J.Lewis,
What is the suggested twist for a 33-47?
Also, do somewhat rough/slightly pitted bore 32-40s usually
bore out clean to 33-47?( a Win Hi Wall)
Or is a person better to go with say a Douglas or GM
338 groove barrel? Again, what suggested twist.?
Thanks
beltfed/arnie

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Dec 19th, 2016 at 10:39pm
Print Post  
I am not sure about the re-bore. My Briesen was a 15 LH twist but I believe the 14 RH is now the norm. I have a preferance for Douglas barrels. I haven't had a bad one yet but I did have a bad experiance with a GM but there is good and bad in all of them from time to time I would assume.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

JerryH
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Member #10876

Reply #19 - Dec 19th, 2016 at 10:57pm
Print Post  
My very first 250, shot during practice before a Modesto Rifle Club ISSA Regional, was with a 14 twist Douglas barrel chambered in 33-47. 

Terry Harper also uses a Douglas 14 twist barrel chambered in 33-47 and does extremely well.

JerryH

I'm not a complete idiot, some of my parts are missing.

IP Logged

KWK
Senior Forum Member

Reply #20 - Dec 20th, 2016 at 9:11am
Print Post  
Quote:
Attached is the list of the best shooters in the last 20 years.

Interesting is the .25-20 in the list and that hammer guns (3 of them, is it?) remain competitive.

Karl
IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - Dec 21st, 2016 at 12:38am
Print Post  
If memory serves me right it was Terry Harpers first match, he came down for pratice on Friday shot a 250 and followed it up with another 250 in the match on Saturday. That in itself speaks for the advantages and user friendliness of the 33-47 being in the hands of a brand new competitor in a brand new sport with a brand new traditional CPA rifle. He has shot more since and he is generaly in the top three. He also shoots a FN nose bullet and did not yet have an over abundance of condition reading experience at the time.
Jerry H if I got any of this wrong could you please correct any of those statements, I had hoped Terry would have chimed in by now before this topic poops out as you were also there those two days.

JLouis

IP Logged

JerryH
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Member #10876

Reply #22 - Dec 21st, 2016 at 3:53pm
Print Post  
It was Terry's first match with his CPA 33-47. He had been shooting with us for about a year with a borrowed rifle before that. At least that's how I remember it, but I could be wrong.

JerryH.

I'm not a complete idiot, some of my parts are missing.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - Dec 21st, 2016 at 5:31pm
Print Post  
Thank you Jerry I beleave you are indeed correct I remember him shooting Barry's rifle while he was waiting on his CPA Schuetzen to be built. I just didn't recall him shooting it in any of the matches my error and thanks again.
The success he has did not come by any surprise with the both of us having shot 33-47's in serious competition prior too. My Bresien 33-47 was the most user friendly and unfinicky rifle that I have ever owned to date and it simply shot extremly well day in, day out and all year round.

JLouis
« Last Edit: Dec 21st, 2016 at 5:40pm by JLouis »  

IP Logged

Gard72977

Reply #24 - Dec 21st, 2016 at 7:57pm
Print Post  
I just wanted to thank everyone for all the great advice. I need to get some guns sold. I'm ready to hurry up and get the long wait started.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #25 - Dec 22nd, 2016 at 3:23pm
Print Post  
If by chance you are taking the 33-47 into consideration do not mistake it for the 33-40 they are not one in the same and a very easy but unfortunate mistake for one to make after having spent a good chunk of change. If you have any questions in regards to the above just send me a PM and I would be more than happy to explain it to you.

JLouis

IP Logged

herrschutz
Participating Member

Reply #26 - Dec 23rd, 2016 at 12:35pm
Print Post  
Gard,

I agree, the 32-40 is a great place to start.  However, if you want options for light recoil and a round that will stay supersonic thru 200 yards there are two Stevens options that were top competitors in the early 1900's you may want to consider.  Both straight tape cases.

28-30 Stevens  135 gr Hoch, 12 - 12.5 gr 4227, small rifle primer, 1,600 fps.  Rocky Mtn Cartridges can turn brass for you from rod stock.   

32-35 Stevens (308 cal groove) 150 - 165 gr bullets.  With all of the 30 cal mold designs and options, the 30 cal option is worth looking into.   Brass, Cody at Rocky Mtn Cartridges can also turn cases for you in this caliber.

For more info on these two options, see the attached link to a 1937 load manual, Sharpe. (pages  372  & 395)

I have a CPA in 28-30 and CPA 32-20.   The 28-30 was much easier to dial in than the 32-20 CPA.   Same extractor, two barrels for one CPA action.   

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #27 - Dec 23rd, 2016 at 5:21pm
Print Post  
All good choices but maybe not the best for one just starting out. I have been shooting my 28-35SS for a few years now and simply love it. I used a 12 twist when I built it and the heaver bullets are a plus. The brass is readily available from Hornady and it is very easy to get to shoot to match winning accuracy. It is also very conistent day in and day out year round and not at all finicky and pressure is not at all a concern. You can pretty much push it as hard as you want to and well beyond what any of my four bullets like.The only down side to a new shooter is the increased sensitivity to the wind, mirage and increased drift and thus quite a bit more challenging for an inexperienced new shooter. Taking that into consideration the 33-47 is indeed hands down the better choice and quite a bit better than the 32-40 based on my personal experiance. If one does not mind the increased challenge the 28 is indeed a great choice in my opinion as Herrschutz has also so kindly pointed but the 32 and more so the 33 will always have the edge in serious competition and thus why the 28 is not being seen used more all though I have never felt handicapped by it our by using the bottle necked case. 

JLouis

IP Logged

Gard72977

Reply #28 - Dec 23rd, 2016 at 8:28pm
Print Post  
Is the 32 MS a legal cartridge for the traditional class. I like it for low powder usage and easy to form cases.

I think I would like two barrels. Maybe something like the 28-30, 33-47 or 38-55
For my second barrel.

IP Logged

Travelor

Reply #29 - Dec 24th, 2016 at 7:26am
Print Post  
I have an original Stevens 44 1/2 in 28-30-120 with a single set trigger.  The trigger needed repair and I just got it back so not much range time yet.  I also had the barrel throated for breech seating by CPA.  Excited to get some lead down range with this beauty.

Love the little cartridge as did Pope and others in the"golden age" of schutzen.

Right now there seems to be a total lack of cases available.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint