Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Little Lady Shoots Pretty Good (Read 3360 times)
Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Little Lady Shoots Pretty Good
Dec 15th, 2016 at 8:06pm
Print Post  
I took out my Stevens Lady's Model today to try at 50 yards off the bench.  The bore is OK; tracks of frost adjacent to the rifling lands, but original.  The load was the Ideal 257420 with Ideal gas checks, 7 gr/ IMR SR-4759 and Wolf Small Rifle primers in Nelsdale cases.  Bullets were Lino/WW range scrap with Alox/Beeswax lube.  The top target is two five shot groups with a change in sight elevation (higher to lower) between groups, the second ten shots with the new sight adjustment.

The top group in the upper target was 7/8", the second would have been the same except for the one I tossed out to the right and a little high, bringing it to 1-1/4".  The ten shot group on the bottom target was 1-7/8".

I replaced the cheap tin replacement barrel sight with a better quality Winchester barrel sight but my eyes and the notch and groove sight picture have not worked at their best for years now.  Still, it's possible to see what a marvel the little .25 caliber cartridge was when it arrived on the scene back in the good old days.  I'll have to try some black powder loads some time to see what that is like.

IP Logged

beltfed
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Little Lady Shoots Pretty Good
Reply #1 - Dec 15th, 2016 at 10:04pm
Print Post  
Can I presume this is a "25-20 SS" ?
Nice gun.
I have a similar Tipup ,22rimfire, w/o forearm. Lined the barrel which was a sewer pipe,used a Bentz reamer . Now shoots well with an STS mounted.
beltfed/arnie

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Dec 16th, 2016 at 7:41am
Print Post  
Yes, the "25 Caliber Rifle" was the way the .25-20 SS was written about back then.

I also have a shot out .32 rimfire heavy barrel Tip-Up, sans forend, that I'm debating what to do with.  The Lady's Model is a little small for me, but the standard size fits almost perfectly.  I keep thinking it might give the .22 BPCR silhouette Chickens a good scare, as it's very ergonomic offhand.  On the other hand, I really "need" a .32 Ideal, and I have a liner.... Wink

IP Logged

AZshot

Reply #3 - Dec 16th, 2016 at 9:43am
Print Post  
Hey 'Bent', nice rifle.  I'm in the Tucson area, if you want to try it out there is a small bore silhuette match at the Tucson Rifle Club range sunday.  $15 to enter, runs from about 7:30 to 11:30.  I'd like to see your rifle, I'm taking my "new" Stevens Ladies 56.  I know...without a scope or tang sight, it would be pretty tough.  But let's shoot sometime!
« Last Edit: Dec 16th, 2016 at 10:01am by AZshot »  

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Dec 16th, 2016 at 5:15pm
Print Post  
AZshot,

I go to the BPCR and .22 BPCR shoots at the TRC on the first and second Saturdays of the month.  I'll have to see whether I can fit in another shooting match a month.  Lots of conflicts with other weekend events.

IP Logged

SBoomer
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Dec 19th, 2016 at 9:50am
Print Post  
Beautiful. What fun!

IP Logged

SBoomer
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - Dec 19th, 2016 at 9:58am
Print Post  
How is the lock-up on the rifle? Any play at all? Seems they either lock up tight or rattle without much in between. On a couple of mine, I dressed the flat on the inside of the barrel catch allowing the angled upper face to engage "deeper" into the mating barrel mortice, which made a big difference.

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Dec 19th, 2016 at 3:59pm
Print Post  
It's immobile after lockup, as long as I make sure the barrel pin is screwed in tight and give the weak wedge return spring some help by pushing in the lug after I close the rifle.  Of course, I push the button in all the way before closing the rifle.

It should be possible to deepen the engagement of the wedge in its seat, but of course there are limits.  Sometimes the cut in the barrel is enlarged even as the wedge is worn smaller.  I had to make a replacement wedge on a Stevens Off-Hand pistol and found out why the originals are serial numbered to the barrels.  That was a lot of fitting and spotting and fitting some more!

Now I regard snapping the barrel shut past the catch the same way as flicking the revolver cylinder back into the frame, tough-private-eye style.  Great if you have a Prop Dept. to fix them afterwards, not so great for one's personal possessions.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint