Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Stevens Favorite 1915 Extractor/Ejector help (Read 3668 times)
MoMallard

Stevens Favorite 1915 Extractor/Ejector help
Dec 8th, 2016 at 7:08pm
Print Post  
I purchased a decent Stevens Favorite 1915 in .22RF. It's a later model with the round barrel and extractor/ejector. In the process of getting it back to shooting shape for my 9yr old left handed son, I purchased a new firing pin, block and lever screws, and a new extractor/ejector from Wisners. I have done the initial general extractor fitting (had to take off about .002" total width to fit. Initial measurement .203"), minus opening the extractor top cut, and was putting it together to do a general non-firing test to make sure all worked as planned.

I have fought the installation throughout. I've tried to install with the lever screw in place and then push back the ejector to work the block pin through, and tried to install it vise versa (easier by far). I did the initial install with the action off of the barrel and made sure the ejector was compressed before installing the action back to the barrel. The lockup was extremely tight. Everything fit, but the final pull up was very hard and the ejector wouldn't pop out as intended. I then pulled everything apart and installed the extractor/ejector with the action attached to the barrel group. Same thing. Very tight lockup. 

I then loosened the barren tightening nut a tad and it worked fine, except that there is now a small space between the action and barrel shoulder (and the barrel is loose of course). All this appears to be that there is something oversized with the extractor. I checked the factory original, and noted that a "front to back" measurement of the extractor arm shows that the replacement is .20 or so thicker. Could this be my issue?

IP Logged

MoMallard

Re: Stevens Favorite 1915 Extractor/Ejector help
Reply #1 - Dec 8th, 2016 at 8:40pm
Print Post  
GOT IT!! The new block screw was a bit over sized, by about .0035 or so compared to the old one. I thought "yay! it'll take up some slop". Well, it took up too much slop. I installed the old, but straight and functional block screw and everything came together. It cams solidly into place with just enough force on the lock up. I'll do the final reaming of the extractor top tomorrow and test fire so Santa can bring the boy his first .22 for Christmas. Thanks all.

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Dec 8th, 2016 at 11:04pm
Print Post  
Now, that's funny! You go and solve yer own dilemma and thank everybody. All I can say is, "you are welcome."
And, a merry Christmas to you and your boy.

IP Logged

jfeldman
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #3 - Dec 9th, 2016 at 5:30pm
Print Post  
Mo - My only advice is to make sure you have your camera ready when your 9 year old unwraps his Christmas present! Grin

Regards, Joe

IP Logged

Sendaro
Oldtimer

When the sight is on SEND
IT!

Reply #4 - Dec 10th, 2016 at 7:33am
Print Post  
It was Christmas morning of 1959 when I (at the age of 10) received my first single shot rifle. It was a Winchester 67 youth model. That is always the Christmas that I first remember. Things that are that special can set a youth on a path that last a life time. It has for me.

Sendaro

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint