Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) 22 short (Read 16729 times)
Charliek

Re: 22 short
Reply #30 - Dec 7th, 2016 at 2:40pm
Print Post  
Thanks for all the information everyone.  The only caution I would mention is that shooting at a bullet trap in the basement requires paying attention to the range limitations of the trap.  Shorts can bounce.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #31 - Dec 8th, 2016 at 12:22pm
Print Post  
Redsetter wrote on Dec 7th, 2016 at 2:10pm:
marlinguy wrote on Dec 7th, 2016 at 12:11pm:
But they actually shoot close enough groups to consistently hit a 9" dinger at 300 rds. if the crosswind is under 10 mph...

Am a little surprised they hit hard enough at that range even to hear the sound!  Actually, quite impressive.  Would like to try this myself, but lack such a range.

You wont hear a .22LR or Short hit a dinger at 300 yds. We watch for hits on the  white dinger through a spotting scope. At least I can't hear them. The dingers are an array of well pipe, and younger ears say they hear them hit.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #32 - Dec 8th, 2016 at 12:54pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Dec 8th, 2016 at 12:22pm:
You wont hear a .22LR or Short hit a dinger at 300 yds. We watch for hits on the  white dinger through a spotting scope. At least I can't hear them.

Well, in that case, maybe I don't need a 300 yd range; instant gratification (if I hit!) is what I seek.

I can hear very distinctly hits at 150 yds on the steel I shoot, using SV LR; can even distinguish between hits at top or bottom of target.  But another 150 yds might make it impossible to hear.

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #33 - Dec 8th, 2016 at 5:57pm
Print Post  
On our range, if it is quiet and no one else is shooting, you can hear a Short bullet hit our gongs at the 200 yard line. There is a time lag between shot & hit.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #34 - Dec 8th, 2016 at 7:08pm
Print Post  
waterman wrote on Dec 8th, 2016 at 5:57pm:
There is a time lag between shot & hit.

Which I like; with HV that lag almost disappears at 150, making the shot & the hit almost simultaneous.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #35 - Dec 8th, 2016 at 8:26pm
Print Post  
To me the farther the target, and the more delay between hit and sound returning, the more fun or gratification I get! I love it when I can fire a shot, eject the empty, and stop to listen for the hit. It can't help but make you grin the first time it happens, and many times afterwards!
It's also fun when your spotter tells you it's a hit, and then you hear the confirmation!

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #36 - Dec 8th, 2016 at 11:28pm
Print Post  
Reminds me of a spotter shooting silhouettes.  Every shot he'd say didn't see it. I hit one after he reported didn't see it  Grin  They say you can fix ignorance, but........... Embarrassed

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #37 - Dec 9th, 2016 at 7:22am
Print Post  
and the speed of light always beats the speed of sound. 
   When I was a kid a farmer across the road was putting in a fence--steel stakes with a pipe stake driver about 300 yards from our front porch.   
I was watching him work and highly amused because the "clang" of the driver was almost perfectly timed at the top of the upstroke---my first awareness of applied physics.

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #38 - Dec 9th, 2016 at 10:31am
Print Post  
Schuetzenmiester wrote on Dec 8th, 2016 at 11:28pm:
Reminds me of a spotter shooting silhouettes.  Every shot he'd say didn't see it. I hit one after he reported didn't see it  Grin  They say you can fix ignorance, but........... Embarrassed

A great spotter is a huge asset. A bad spotter might as well leave and let you figure it out on your own.
When the shooter and spotter work well together, it's like a well oiled machine. Especially so if they take turns spotting each other and build a confidence in each other's ability to spot. I enjoy watching two guys who have such a great relationship that their conversations during a match almost sound like a code they alone know.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #39 - Dec 9th, 2016 at 1:23pm
Print Post  
He obviously was not spotter material of the highest order Cheesy

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

.22-5-40
Oldtimer

Reply #40 - Dec 9th, 2016 at 2:42pm
Print Post  
Few years ago, a friend invited me for some long range shooting using .22 rimfires.  I brought along some 12" stainless plates 1/8" thick.  Stuff was so tough I ruined a couple of 3/16" drills drilling hanging holes in them.  Iron sights on all rifles...Winchester High-Wall #4 brl. .22 long-rifle Mike Stevens Soule tang, & globe front., Custom BSA Cadet with Rem. Matchmaster brl...peep sight rear, blade front, Whitney sporting rifle..tang rear, Beaches front., Winchester (new) low-wall..tang & blade.  Also brought along a S&W K17 8 3/8".  Targets were set up across power line right of way..300yds. using rangefinder.  Winds were light and variable.  All ammo was std. velocity..I myself used CCI Green Tag & Eley Club.  Once range was found hits were fairly consistant..providing a gust of wind didn't blow you off.  Even the S&W was hitting pretty regular.  You could easily hear the "tink" of the bullets impact.  Those rear apatures were pretty well up on the staffs..but in no way were they near running out of elevation adjustment.  The real surprise came when we retrieved the targets at end of day...that tough stainless had deep bulges on backside..those little std. velocity pills pack plenty of punch even at this range.  I think that was one of the most enjoyable shooting times I have ever had.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint