Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) 22 short (Read 16727 times)
QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: 22 short
Reply #15 - Dec 5th, 2016 at 6:44pm
Print Post  
Aguila also made some "Sans Poudre" (with out powder) in the LR.   I have had some but not enough to justify testing for match accuracy.  used the 22 lr version for my "out-the-backdoor" practice   we are not allowed to shoot with in the village limits.   but with CBees or the "sans powders"  i can stand just inside--out of sight and shot through the open door.

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Dec 5th, 2016 at 8:56pm
Print Post  
When you shoot any of those quiet loads, always check that the bullet left the barrel before you load another round.  I have personally seen 3 that did not.  I have seen one bullet stuck halfway out of the muzzle and two stuck in the bore.

IP Logged

Deadeye Bly
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Dec 5th, 2016 at 9:23pm
Print Post  
On Feb. 18, 1889 Edgar Leopold was testing the then new 22 long rifle in a Maynard. He shot a match against a Winchester single shot in 22 short. The match was at 400 yards on the 400 yd NRA target by NRA rules at the time. To be fair to the 22 Short it was allowed to be shot at 300 yards on the 400 yd target. Leopold won the match with a score of 45 out of 50. No score was posted in Leopold's writings for the 22 Short. Someone must have thought it a capable round for that distance or they never would have entered a 22 Short in the match. The shooter of the Winchester was not identified.

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Dec 5th, 2016 at 10:32pm
Print Post  
I tried the Aguila SUPER COLIBRÍ LR listed at 590 fps with a 20 gr bullet for some backyard offhand practice but had settled on the CCI Quiet ammo which has a 40gr bullet at 710 fps.  Not noticeably louder than the Aguila but more accurate.  The bullet hitting the metal trap makes more noise.  

Jack

ASSRA # 11318
just a bit of a hoot.

IP Logged

JS47
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Dec 5th, 2016 at 10:41pm
Print Post  
A subsonic long rifle cartridge can be quieted down to the point that all you hear is the sound of the firing mechanism.  All it takes is a plastic oil bottle filled with fiberglass insulation taped to the muzzle. Accuracy is no doubt effected but not to the degree that is much of a detriment to short range, like shooting a gong out of your back door if you have the misfortune to live in a city. It would be best to use a gong that doesn't ring too loud if anyone wants to try it.

JS

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Dec 6th, 2016 at 3:21am
Print Post  
A 300 yard trial of CCI Target Shorts is in the works.  It may take a month to pull off.

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - Dec 6th, 2016 at 6:49am
Print Post  
Best wishes on the 300 yd test. I wonder what the drop is in the ballistic curve for a 22 short at that range.     Around here you'd have to pray and wait for a pretty stiff steady 6 o'clock wind   Grin

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

Digital_Dan
Participating Member

Reply #22 - Dec 7th, 2016 at 12:42am
Print Post  
Shorts are useful for a variety of reasons, though I cannot imagine they are worthy of long range competition.  My preference has been the CCI CB short for quite some years now.

Hunting range (10 yards) zero for my rifle, elbow rest:

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

They will consistently shoot .5" or less off a bag rest at 50 yards.  Most of my use is for the control of vermin.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - Dec 7th, 2016 at 4:31am
Print Post  
Friend of mine shot pheasants out of the air about that far, out of shotgun range.

I shot a starling about 20 feet overhead dead center quick drawing.  Used a couple more boxes trying to duplicate it, but finally gave up.  Had to get home to start chores and do the milking.  Huh

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - Dec 7th, 2016 at 10:38am
Print Post  
westerner wrote on Dec 7th, 2016 at 2:35am:
Remember by buddy taking large Mallards at fifty and seventy five yards with the .22 short.

Joe.

I remember doing something like that when I was about 14, although the range was much shorter, and my victims were coots.  Any body-shot on a bird of that size will be lethal, eventually, but these thrashed about on the water for a long time, and most disappeared into the shoreline vegetation.

I think I learned something from that experiment, and did not repeat it.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #25 - Dec 7th, 2016 at 10:45am
Print Post  
Schuetzenmiester wrote on Dec 7th, 2016 at 4:31am:
Friend of mine shot pheasants out of the air about that far, out of shotgun range.

William Lyman's early advertisements for his first tang sight frequently included testimonials of their effectiveness for "shooting flying."   

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #26 - Dec 7th, 2016 at 12:11pm
Print Post  
QuestionableMaynard8130 wrote on Dec 6th, 2016 at 6:49am:
Best wishes on the 300 yd test. I wonder what the drop is in the ballistic curve for a 22 short at that range.     Around here you'd have to pray and wait for a pretty stiff steady 6 o'clock wind   Grin

I've shot my .22's at 300 yds, and it's not much different than the drop of most mild old BP centerfire rounds. I've got a ton of .22 Shorts in bulk that I have no idea of the velocity or maker, so I play with them and don't expect target accuracy. But they actually shoot close enough groups to consistently hit a 9" dinger at 300 rds. if the crosswind is under 10 mph. Above that my shooting or hold off for windage can decrease hits from 100% to maybe 75%.

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #27 - Dec 7th, 2016 at 12:15pm
Print Post  
I find the 400 & 300 yard story difficult to imagine.  A guy tried shooting .22 LR at long range in New Mexico a couple of years back.  He reported that 350 was about the end of any accuracy.  Anything beyond that was sheer luck.  The New Mexico trial had targets on a flat & dusty plain below the shooting point, so hits could be observed & sight settings corrected.

I tried .22 LR at 300 yards last year.   Once I had an aiming point, I could keep my shots on the WSU 200-yard target, large red side out.  The problem is that most sights do not have enough elevation to let you aim directly at the paper.

With my Unertl, the scope hit the barrel and ended any ability to adjust.  I need higher blocks.

I have a 1922 Springfield with a long slide on the Lyman 48.  IIRC, graduations on the slide go to 120.  I thought that would work, but the elevation screw came out of the sight base at 80.  Most frustrating.

When putting a tang sight on a single shot 22 rimfire, I always pick a Schuetzen or gallery model.  I will need to find a long range tang sight for the Shorts at 300 experiment.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #28 - Dec 7th, 2016 at 1:25pm
Print Post  
One of my cousins hit the house a couple feet above my dad's head at 1/2 mile, but I'm not sure he was shooting shorts; probably long or LR.  Shocked

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #29 - Dec 7th, 2016 at 2:10pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Dec 7th, 2016 at 12:11pm:
But they actually shoot close enough groups to consistently hit a 9" dinger at 300 rds. if the crosswind is under 10 mph...

Am a little surprised they hit hard enough at that range even to hear the sound!  Actually, quite impressive.  Would like to try this myself, but lack such a range.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint