Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) My Rifle Back from Shop of Late Joe Lozito (Read 6141 times)
Poorhouse

NRA Life, ASSRA Life

My Rifle Back from Shop of Late Joe Lozito
Nov 22nd, 2016 at 10:32pm
Print Post  
Thanks to efforts by Mrs. Lozito and Mr. Wolf my .28-30 Lozito-Borchardt has arrived.  Joe had done barrel and chambering plus stock shaping, but action is as shown.  Fortunately correct set of DST came in box of parts.

IP Logged

Poorhouse

NRA Life, ASSRA Life

Re: My Rifle Back from Shop of Late Joe Lozito
Reply #1 - Nov 22nd, 2016 at 10:35pm
Print Post  
Sorry, don't know how to size photos.....

IP Logged

Poorhouse

NRA Life, ASSRA Life

Reply #2 - Nov 22nd, 2016 at 11:14pm
Print Post  
Happy to remit check if you educate me about the process?

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Nov 23rd, 2016 at 8:02am
Print Post  
Go to Shrinkpicturesdotcom and follow the instructions.  Onesies are free and simple to do.  Set your resize at 1000 and "Best" and let it run.  I rate the service at four stars two thumbs up and a big wet sloppy kiss.

Did you just get the receiver back with the cocking cams and separate set triggers, or is the block and lever still with it?  A prominent, but erratic gunsmith in this area went into a mental institution and many of his customers' guns, long disassembled and scattered throughout his shop, were never returned to their owners.

IP Logged

Skalkaho
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Nov 23rd, 2016 at 5:59pm
Print Post  
I was lucky to have had Joe send my barreled action in the white  back to me to do the wood fitting. I was then going to send barreled action back and Joe was going to tune the triggers ,color case the action and rust blue barrel, while I finished the wood. Joe had his heart attack while I had my Borchardt. Took me a year to finally get the innards fine tuned to shoot reliably. It is now getting the color case and blueing. Will post pics once I get it back and reassembled. Gorgeous English Walnut Stock you have!  Pete
« Last Edit: Nov 23rd, 2016 at 6:25pm by Skalkaho »  

May the Bullet Gods be with you.......

IP Logged

Poorhouse

NRA Life, ASSRA Life

Reply #5 - Nov 24th, 2016 at 10:27am
Print Post  
Trying out resizing program. 

I received a bunch of DST parts from Mrs. Lozito.  One assembly is in a lower tang identical to what has been inletted into the stock.  Hopefully the trigger parts can be transferred and fitted into my action. Mark at nearby NECGS is a wizard at such tasks.

Likewise I have a choice of blocks - not sure of which will work out best.  Note that Joe had installed the cocking plates with two screws, but no protruding pin between the screws through the action sidewall.  Is this pin considered optional?

I have ordered several of the small internal parts from Mr. Story.

IP Logged

Poorhouse

NRA Life, ASSRA Life

Reply #6 - Nov 24th, 2016 at 10:31am
Print Post  
I have an entire Sharps-Borchardt express rifle from Argus Barker to use as a guide for fitting parts, except for the trigger arrangement.

IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Nov 26th, 2016 at 11:15am
Print Post  
I don't know why Sharps put the pin in the cocking plate.  They are tight fitting so perhaps to give more support as there is a lot of pressure on the plates when the rifle is cocked.  The right one has a tendency to crack since there is a relief cut for the extractor.  Niedner used to drive the pin out and put a 3rd screw in the receiver but I do like how Joe's method cleaned up the looks of the action. I also like how he filled in the holes for the large caps and the cross pin. That's going to be a beautiful rifle.Bob

IP Logged

FITZ
Oldtimer

REGARDS

Reply #8 - Nov 26th, 2016 at 3:05pm
Print Post  
I suspect that the Pins and the tight fit of the Plates themselves was a design decision to guarantee the Cam surface being truly in line across the receiver for making sure the first thing that happened when the Lever was moved was the Striker would start to re-track before the Breech Block moved down. They are difficult as is to time when you repair or make a new striker. It does not take much error to have your receiver with a Groove Mark scrubbed on the back surface of the receiver face. Just my thoughts. Regards, FITZ. Smiley

FITZ

IP Logged

harry_eales
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Dec 8th, 2016 at 11:32am
Print Post  
Fitz,
I think you may well be right over the reason for the pins being present but they didn't stop Zischang and Neidner removing them on many occasions. They both used screws to replace the pins and on occasions welded the holes up. 

With regard to the large screw plugs at the rear of the action they were replaced by newly machined close fitting plugs that didn't have a screwdriver slot, the threads made loose enough to be turned in by hand and then welded into place around the edge, thus keeping welding to a minimum to avoid and metal distortion due to excessive heat. Both the pin and plug holes would be skimmed over with  surface grinder to smooth out all lumps and bumps of welding rod left proud of the surface. It was easier to do than filing them level. 

I would assume a very low carbon mild steel rod would have been used to permit Colour Case Hardening if required. The removal of the pins doesn't appear to have caused any problems and these custom target and sporting rifles would have received a lot more use than the standard 45/70 round models probably did.

Harry.

IP Logged

jon_norstog
Participating Member

Old Thursday himself

Reply #10 - Dec 14th, 2016 at 11:39pm
Print Post  
Poorhouse, that is a REALLY nice piece of wood on your Sharps!

jn

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint