Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Rdfield Olympic Front sight (Read 8828 times)
GeorgeC
Oldtimer

ASSRA 11411

Re: Rdfield Olympic Front sight
Reply #15 - Nov 18th, 2016 at 12:43pm
Print Post  
Randy,
I not one much for crusading, attacking windmills, or chasing unicorns.  Not even trying to buck the system. 
My club doesn't even sponsor any single shot specific matches.  Bowling pins, long range modern high power, and a little BP are on our menu.   
I am just trying to get my questions answered and I am surprised that there were not more opinions offered, not that I don't appreciate the feedback from you and QM.  My thanks to you both.   

GeorgeC

Never mind the mule. Just load the wagon.
IP Logged

pronechamp
Participating Member

Reply #16 - Nov 18th, 2016 at 1:34pm
Print Post  
Would guess you might be safe by putting on a drilled and tapped block, instead of using a block with a cross slot, which easily would accomodate alignment/windage adjustments.

Suspect Redfield front sight with flange will not meet traditional rules.  As others suggest, might be best to contact schuetzenmeister at match you will attend and find out that persons ruling.

I am no authority either, but feel I have a sense of rules intent.

IP Logged

pronechamp
Participating Member

Reply #17 - Nov 18th, 2016 at 1:35pm
Print Post  
Would guess you might be safe by putting on a drilled and tapped block, instead of using a block with a cross slot, which easily would accomodate alignment/windage adjustments.

Suspect Redfield front sight with flange will not meet traditional rules.  As others suggest, might be best to contact schuetzenmeister at match you will attend and find out that persons ruling.

I am no authority either, but feel I have a sense of rules intent.

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Nov 18th, 2016 at 2:18pm
Print Post  
So, if you use an old style front scope base that is mounted into the existing front barrel dovetail as was used for the long scopes (instead of using screws to mount the base to the barrel), and then slid your front sight into position onto the top of the dovetail base (just as you do your front scope mount when mounting the long scope), would it be legal and also considered traditional?

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

RSW
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Nov 18th, 2016 at 3:34pm
Print Post  
BP
Good question!

Randy W
ASSRA 10211  -  ISSA 125
There are indeed two Americas. Simply put, it is not the haves and have nots. The two Americans are in reality divided into those who do and those who don't.
IP Logged

GeorgeC
Oldtimer

ASSRA 11411

Reply #20 - Nov 18th, 2016 at 3:36pm
Print Post  
Good question, BP.  I talked to Gail at CPA about about front sights in regard to the high comb Pope style stock on my rifles.  She said that the Baldwin front sight and the MVA #115 front sight is not high enough so a spacer is required.  She suggested  a dovetail adapter with a spacer and use the Lyman  93 globe front sight to get the sight up high enough.   
Who knows. Some of the rules are so subjective, that it might be a crap shoot (pardon the pun) as to whether a rifle, sights, ammo, etc. would be legal for a traditional rifle match.

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - Nov 18th, 2016 at 9:50pm
Print Post  
at least at EG we don't have any "Traditional Rifle matches" as part of the Regular ASSRA program of competition----Except possibly the "traditional Buffalo match"  if it is still being shot.  (I was unable to make any of the matches last year ) 
"Traditional" rifle is something the shooter themselves stamp on the entry forms and targets as they are turned in. its pretty much on an honor system. There have been a few privately funded award bars awarded for the "Top Traditional score" in a few selected matches---thus a first, second, and third, place award plus a "highest Traditional score" award is made.

Now in the private Quarter-Bore .25 caliber matches ALL rifles have to basically meet the ASSRA "traditional rifle" standards  (and be of historic 25 calibre cartridges), but that is technically outside the ASSRA competition structure though it is shot during the regular matches and on the same targets    SO-----in theory one could fire a winning score on say a schoyen or a Kelly  and win a standard first place, plus a "best traditional rifle score" award AND a Quarter bore award all in one single target      I think------it does get confusing and woe-betide the poor scorer who screws up Grin Grin Grin

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Nov 19th, 2016 at 7:17am
Print Post  
If you use the same rifle Iron and Scope offhand you need a high front sight to give the proper head position. Look at the picture of my CPA Schuetzen with it scope. High front sight block is on the barrel. It's dovetail mounted. Put the sight on it's even higher.  My head position is the same scope or Iron, which is important.

Rules may or may not get in the way of a well set up rifle, however my experience shooting and running matches is the Schuetzenmaster allows about anything that you can carry, to a degree. Start winning matches you have to pay attention to what the other shooters think.  Our club runs a gong single shot match with more restrictive rules., One is "No Schuetzens" idea is to make it open to more common single shot rifles, not pure match guns.

I shoot it with a 2nd CPA that conforms to more restrictive NRA BPCS rules. Even so I have heard quiet comments about buying his way into the sport.  Not so much any more, we have 8 or 9 CPA's shooting the match.   

It is true the gun can make the match if handles properly. I have shot that CPA Schuetzen in NRA Rule modern rimfire Silhouette matches. Not for score just for fun & I was the Match Director could do anything I wanted . It's a distinct advantage, 14 lbs palm rest hook plate set trigger, over the rule restricted bolt action sporter class rifle. 

To your question on the Redfield Olympic, I doubt it would be banned in any Schuetzen match. You could keep a Lyman 77 in your bag in case of  complaints. 

Boats

IP Logged

GeorgeC
Oldtimer

ASSRA 11411

Reply #23 - Nov 19th, 2016 at 8:38am
Print Post  
Thanks boats.  Very good advise.  Not much interest in Schuetzen rifles or matches in SE Indiana.  I'm about 4-5 hours away from EG and do plan on showing up for a match one day. Just don't want to be told I can't shoot with my sights.   
I started off in the game back in the early 70's, when life was simpler, with an original Ballard in .32-40 and a C.C. Johnson Ballard .22 RF. They were all the rifles I needed, but they are long gone. Now all I have are repros. and I would trade them all off for those two rifles I started off with.

IP Logged

RSW
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - Nov 19th, 2016 at 2:22pm
Print Post  
GeorgeC
One perspective on this subject that has not yet been commented on, if it has I apologize for missing it, your rifle with Redfield Olympic sight is perfectly acceptable for ASSRA, ISSA or WSU open class.

Randy W
ASSRA 10211  -  ISSA 125
There are indeed two Americas. Simply put, it is not the haves and have nots. The two Americans are in reality divided into those who do and those who don't.
IP Logged

GeorgeC
Oldtimer

ASSRA 11411

Reply #25 - Nov 19th, 2016 at 5:47pm
Print Post  
Thanks Randy, for the update.  I figured that  I could use it on my Ruger 3/1 (No. 3 action, No.1  stock, wide fore-end, and heavy bbl.) rifle with an Anshutz rear sight in unlimited or open BR and be legal. 
This has become an informative discussion.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint