Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic More Uberti Whoes (Read 3214 times)
4570mike
Senior Forum Member

More Uberti Whoes
Nov 17th, 2016 at 3:52pm
Print Post  
I picked up this 45-70, Uberti 1885 High Wall, DST, was supposed to be un-fired and it looked to be.  Excellent, new condition, box, papers, etc.
Made up some loads similar to those used in my other 45-70's and went to the range.  Rifle shot very good; had some good groups at 100 yds.  I noticed most all the fired cases were difficult to extract.  Some came out fine, but most required a light prying to be removed. My first thought was a dirty chamber or the fact this brass had been used in another rifle, although it had been full-case sized.
After I returned home, I cleaned the chamber and tried to re-insert some of the fired cases. All would go in except for the last half inch that required a stout push then they would "snap" into place.  Extraction required prying.
I noticed the cases were slightly bulged about 3/8" above the base, but not completely around; maybe 1/4 to 1/3 the circumference. Using a bright light, I scoped the chamber and could see a slight shadow at the top. Looking at the slight off-set of the primer indent, I could tell all the bulging was occurring at the same spot.

My question is ; is this chamber "ringing"?  I assumed when ringing occurred it would be all around and not just partially. Further, the bulge is only 3/8" from the rear face of the cartridge case and this seems to far to the rear.

I was shooting 490 gr cast from 20:1 alloy. 33 gr of Black Horn 209 fired by Federal 215 Match primers. Starline Brass. 0.60 veg wad under the bullet and no air space. Velocity on this load is just under 1200 FPS.  I have fired hundreds of this load in other rifles with no issues.

So, any opinions?  Could this be a manufacturing defect?  Any thoughts on a fix? 

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: More Uberti Whoes
Reply #1 - Nov 17th, 2016 at 4:31pm
Print Post  
Sure sounds like a bulged or rung chamber to me. It indeed can be fixed by a good gunsmith who can drill/ream out the chamber and sleeve it. Then it can be reamed back to the original caliber and your gun should be fine.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

FITZ
Oldtimer

REGARDS

Reply #2 - Nov 17th, 2016 at 9:32pm
Print Post  
Are you SURE? that it is unfired. Many years ago a friend had a M1885 re-barreled to 38-55. He loaded ammo with new brass and went to the Range to shoot. I got there about 15 minutes behind him and he was prying the empty brass from the ChamberHe said it did that on his first shot. I had looked the Rifle over the day before and saw no sign of a Rung chamber. But there was now, easily visible. I asked about his load. A Hudson bullet cast hard, I think it was Linotype and fairly large
in weight, 330 Grs. with a stiff charge of Fast burning powder. 
This was a Barrel by a noted barrel maker of the time using one of the Soft free Machining materials that was popular at the time. I believed then and still do that he Bulged that Chamber with his first shot because he said the Shell came out hard with the first shot. Was a shame as it was a #4 Full Octagon with a Rifled False Muzzle and a Bullet starter with a Loading Rod to seat the Bullet to the right place in the Barrel.
It also had/has a really bright and shiny beautiful Bore. I still have that Barrel as I traded it from him. Had planned to re-chamber it and salvage it. But later heard of others having the same problem. the Material just may have been too soft. Is your Barrel marked "For Black Powder Only" I have since heard of others like this. HTH regards, FITZ. Sad

FITZ

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #3 - Nov 18th, 2016 at 10:04am
Print Post  
Hey FITZ, how about if you put a chamber insert/liner in to both repair and strengthen that spot?  If you did that then used schuetzen loads of 4759 or 4227, it should do great.  BTW, what the heck was he doing using hard cast bullets in a breech/muzzle loader?  How did that happen?  Huh

Froggie

PS  Are you planning a VA trip any time soon FITZ?  Would love to see you again.  Don't forget our end-of-June match!  Wink

IP Logged

Premod70
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Nov 18th, 2016 at 10:22am
Print Post  
I would send the rifle back to the maker. A raised area rather than a raised ring tells me the barrel is suspect rather than a abusive user.

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Nov 19th, 2016 at 3:59pm
Print Post  
You might have the same problem as I had with one of the first C. Sharps rifles I bought.

The chamber was cut in a sloppy manner so it caused the cases to bulge just ahead of the case web.  The extractor was not cut properly so that after the case had bulged, it was too fat to get past the extractor.   

An easy test for this is to remove the extractor and see if cases go in easily.   

I still have that rifle, and it still bulges cases, but I removed a little from the extractor and it functions properly.

Hopefully this is the case with yours as it's an easy fix.   

Chris.

IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Nov 19th, 2016 at 5:13pm
Print Post  
Quote:
...was supposed to be un-fired and it looked to be.  Excellent, new condition, box, papers, etc.

So it is not a NEW IN THE BOX - Used!
* Look at the front of the hammer - full blue = unfired, missing bluing = fired
* Half of the cartridge won't chamber ... look at the bullet nose to see any scrapes or land engraving.  If Yes, your COL is too long
* Take a Magic Marker and run a couple of fat lines down the case on opposite sides.  Chamber & extract a round, look at the lines to see if they were scraped.  If Yes - an issue point
* Were your cases full length sized that you used for your reloads.  If not, do so and make sure the case web is sized.  Then chamber a unloaded case with the Magic Marker lines and see what you have
Then get your bore light out and take a look in the chamber.  If can't determine a ring - make a chamber cast and measure it

I'm an optimist guessing there is no ring - the COL and or cases are the issue.   

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint