Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Ballard 22 (Read 13691 times)
marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: Ballard 22
Reply #15 - Nov 16th, 2016 at 11:09am
Print Post  
Never owned a Ballard with a 52 barrel, but my Win 52 was one of the most accurate .22 rifles I ever owned! I recently sold it when I purchased my Cody/Schoyen Ballard in .22LR, because the Cody Ballard was the first gun to outshoot the 52.
I'd be tickled to own a Ballard with a 52 barrel on it myself!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Nov 16th, 2016 at 12:35pm
Print Post  
I'd be tickled to own any Ballard. But, I don't suppose I'd ever get it monogrammed. I didn't know there even existed "rules" for one's initials. Since I would prefer to see them in their proper order, it'd be better just to settle for a simple platinum and gold inlaid game scene within the acanthus scrolls.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

jayparisi
Participating Member

Reply #17 - Nov 16th, 2016 at 2:52pm
Print Post  
I have a Winchester mod 52 with a Al Hubalek Special barrel on it.It Shoots about the same as my original Win 52c does.Jay Parisi

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Nov 16th, 2016 at 3:21pm
Print Post  
jayparisi wrote on Nov 16th, 2016 at 2:52pm:
I have a Winchester mod 52 with a Al Hubalek Special barrel on it.It Shoots about the same as my original Win 52c does.Jay Parisi

Very interesting, and confirms my suspicion. A minute improvement in accuracy would be significant in bench-rest competition, but hard to believe it would be the same in position shooting.

IP Logged

.22Hepburn
Oldtimer

Reply #19 - Nov 16th, 2016 at 3:51pm
Print Post  
I always wanted a Hubalek .22 Ballard. I got one (with 8 land/groove barrel) about a year ago. After trying various lots of Eley Match EPS, Lapua Center X, and Midas +, the best group I could get at 100 yds was 1". I am now a former owner of that rifle.

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Nov 16th, 2016 at 5:35pm
Print Post  
Could it just be so that Mr. Hubalek, and others were savvy enough to cut the chamber for some particular loading that we can no longer acquire? Maybe that was the rationale for a barrel change from a perfectly good Winchester one. I really don't know, but we have men who make barrels for specific bullets now, and they could have done it with the little ol' .22. Just my mind wandering while you all discuss it.

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - Nov 16th, 2016 at 5:36pm
Print Post  
Maybe it just didn't like that expensive ammo;-)

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Nov 16th, 2016 at 7:44pm
Print Post  
.22Hepburn wrote on Nov 16th, 2016 at 3:51pm:
I always wanted a Hubalek .22 Ballard. I got one (with 8 land/groove barrel) about a year ago. After trying various lots of Eley Match EPS, Lapua Center X, and Midas +, the best group I could get at 100 yds was 1". I am now a former owner of that rifle.

How much had it been shot?  Did it have a good tight match chamber?

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

.22Hepburn
Oldtimer

Reply #23 - Nov 16th, 2016 at 7:53pm
Print Post  
"How much had it been shot?  Did it have a good tight match chamber?"
The rifle was in excellent condition, looked to be well cared for. The bore and crown looked good and the breechblock locked up nice and tight. Curious, when I extracted a loaded round, there was virtually no engraving on the bullet. The number stamped on the bottom of the barrel indicated that the rifle was built in 1941 or 42.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - Nov 16th, 2016 at 10:38pm
Print Post  
Sounds like it might have needed the barrel set back and a new chamber.  Chuck Bordman did that to a few Martinis and they shot like new.  Lots of times you can see a little 6 o'clock shadow in the throat of well used 22 RFs.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #25 - Nov 17th, 2016 at 12:24am
Print Post  
Quote:
when I extracted a loaded round, there was virtually no engraving on the bullet.

Not good for a match chamber Sad

Maybe some re-reamed to a Sporting chamber.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

.22Hepburn
Oldtimer

Reply #26 - Nov 17th, 2016 at 3:42am
Print Post  
Too bad about this Hubalek since it put me in an awkward position. An easy fix would have been to set the barrel back and re-chamber, but I really did not want to tamper with it (altering the forearm/drilling more holes in the barrel to relocate the mounting screws). I thought it best to preserve it and let it go to someone who would appreciate/take care of it. The punchline is that the new owner took it to a range, shot some Wolf Match Target thru it and proclaimed this to be "one of the most accurate rifles" he's ever owned.....

IP Logged

J.Francis

Reply #27 - Nov 17th, 2016 at 8:11am
Print Post  
If the Hubalek barrel was installed in 1941 or 1942 then the rifle was most likely a pre Model A or at best a Model A. Having it shoot as well as a Model C could be considered an improvement over accepted factory standards of the time. Just my two cents. I have 6 Hubalek rifles; 2 Ballards, 2 hammerless mini Ballards, a Martini and a 52 Winchester. I think they were all state of the art when they were built but they simply can't keep up with more modern developments nor should they be expected to. I think we all love them for the same reasons-their build quality and their beauty.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #28 - Nov 17th, 2016 at 9:30am
Print Post  
J.Francis wrote on Nov 17th, 2016 at 8:11am:
If the Hubalek barrel was installed in 1941 or 1942 then the rifle was most likely a pre Model A or at best a Model A.

Could also have been a B, introduced in 1937.  But you're quite right about "state of the art" at any given time.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #29 - Nov 17th, 2016 at 11:43am
Print Post  
I own several Ballards converted to either .22 Short (Zettler) or .22LR, plus the one Cody Ballard in .22LR. All have very tight match chambers that wont allow a cartridge to be easily chambered with thumb pressure. Can't recall on the Cody, but the other old customs don't engrave on the bullets, but shoot extremely tight groups. Have to check the Cody, as info on the original order sheet says it's a Badger barrel. Just don't recall noticing any engraving on the bullets?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint