Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Chinese Contract Borchardt (Read 6440 times)
iomskp

Chinese Contract Borchardt
Oct 16th, 2016 at 5:22pm
Print Post  
Has anybody got an idea of the value of one of these, I have seen some plain military ones for sale at around $4,500 AU dollars I have a Chinese buyer asking the question, mine is missing the ramrod and the sight ladder, the barrel and the action are excellent internally externally they look like a 140 year old rifle.

Regards Trevor

IP Logged

harry_eales
Ex Member

Re: Chinese Contract Borchardt
Reply #1 - Oct 17th, 2016 at 1:33pm
Print Post  
Trevor,
Your Sharps 1878 Chinese Contract Rifle is only the second one I have heard of in Australia and I know there are approximately five in the USA. Presumably these were 'Liberated' during the War of the Boxer Rebellion. So they are exceptionally rare, and therefore have a high value. A lot depends on overall condition. You can order a replacement cleaning rod from the Borchardt Rifle Company in Silver City New Mexico. They have a website. You could also ask them if they have an old original barrel from which they could extract the sight, they have rebuilt a number of original Borchardt's over the years, and no doubt re-barrelled many more  There is no harm is asking them. Rafter3C on this forum works part time for the owner, he is a very helpful gentleman.

Borchardt Military rifles is their original configuration are now rare and getting rarer every year as they get converted into anything from Vermin Rifle to Long Range Target rifles. A good action alone in the USA will bring between US$ 1,500 to $2.000. What a Chinese Contract model would bring is anyone's guess as they are probably the rarest of all Borchardt variants. There are so few of these in 'The West' you could ask almost any price for it, it's up to the buyer how much he is willing to pay. I'd suggest getting the missing parts first, the better it looks, the better the price you will get. Smiley
Good luck.
Harry

IP Logged

Zack T
Senior Forum Member

Reply #2 - Oct 17th, 2016 at 6:05pm
Print Post  
Oh man I have owned two and sold both for not a lot of money. I have seen half a dozen over the years though a couple maybhave been the same rifle iver again. Look just like the ones in the sellers book re markings.

IP Logged

LONG RANGE
Senior Forum Member

Reply #3 - Oct 17th, 2016 at 7:30pm
Print Post  
Sometime in the 1960s I bought a Borchardt made for the South Carolina National Guard. I paid $125 for it and sold it for about the same. It was chambered for the 45-70 and in excellent condition. I shudder at the thought of what it would sell for today. I have sold some great single shot rifles and it would be nice to know where they are now. I hope Bubba didn't get his hands on them.When I see a terrible storm rip up the east coast or across the south I can't help but wonder how many fine guns are lost forever.

IP Logged

iomskp

Reply #4 - Oct 18th, 2016 at 10:53am
Print Post  
Thank you gentlemen for your input, my rifle is serial number 125, I met a fellow at an auction years ago his great uncle was one of a group of Australians that went to China to support the Empire during the Boxer uprising, he believed one of these men returned to Australia with my rifle and thanks Harry I shall contact the Borchardt rifle company today.

IP Logged

iomskp

Reply #5 - Oct 18th, 2016 at 6:35pm
Print Post  
Good morning Ken That would be greatly appreciated thank you

Regards Trevor

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Oct 19th, 2016 at 10:46am
Print Post  
Are there any pictures of this version? I would like to see how they differ.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

harry_eales
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Oct 19th, 2016 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
Hello Frank,
The Chinese Contract Sharps Borchardt military rifle are exactly the same as all the other military Borchardt's with one exception. On the top of the barrel just forward of the receiver ring the words 'Old Reliable' have been replaced by words in Chinese which on translation read, 'Old Reliable' and that is the only difference as far as I am aware. There is a photograph in Sellars Book on Sharps Firearms. My copy is out on loan otherwise I would have scanned the picture for you.

Harry

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Oct 19th, 2016 at 5:23pm
Print Post  
Thank you, very much, Harry.

The workmanship and materials are also as good?

Frank

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

harry_eales
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Oct 20th, 2016 at 2:44am
Print Post  
Hello Frank, 
I would presume so as Sharps would be hoping for further orders. The Chinese got a bit pee'd off due to a delay in delivery. Part way through the production Sharps diverted staff to work on a number of Long Range Borchardt Rifles for the US Creedmoor Team and others for sale to visiting competitors and their supporters. I know that at least two of those made it to Britain with Team Members. A friend of mine owns one. Sharps apparently sold quite a number of completed rifles and a number of Long Range actions. Very profitable at US$ 125.00 for the Long Range rifle as against about US$ 22.50 for a military rifle. The Chinese got their small order, but did not place another.

Harry

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Oct 20th, 2016 at 10:59am
Print Post  
Thank you again, Harry.

Frank

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

iomskp

Reply #11 - Oct 20th, 2016 at 6:25pm
Print Post  
Thanks Ken

Regards Trevor

IP Logged

Tom_Trevor assra life no.71
Oldtimer

Tom Trevor

Reply #12 - Oct 20th, 2016 at 9:02pm
Print Post  
For the story  of the Chinese contract Borchardt rifles see the Sharps Collectors Association magazine V-XIII no. 1 which was issued in March of 2006. The article titled Yung Wing and the Chinese contract. Great detail and photographs of several of the rifles.

IP Logged

iomskp

Reply #13 - Oct 23rd, 2016 at 3:15am
Print Post  
Hello Ken I will tale a pic of the what is left of the existing sight and send it to you.

Regards Trevor

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint