Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Martini Henry peep sight? (Read 10050 times)
Marlene
Senior Forum Member

Re: Martini Henry peep sight?
Reply #15 - Oct 17th, 2016 at 11:28am
Print Post  
LONG RANGE wrote on Oct 16th, 2016 at 7:49pm:
I can post the picture late tomorrow. Actually it is quite simple. There are two holes drilled and tapped into the side of the receiver. The screws are short and have fine threads. The rifle is chambered for the 32-40 and was made by B. Darr. It is a beautiful barrel, inside and out.   

Oh, thank you. I understand now. It is a beautiful rifle.

Laurie, do I see correctly that the two brass screws are forward of the pivot pin and take up the rotational slack of the base, so it doesn't wobble on the pivot pin's axis?

IP Logged

fallingblock
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #16 - Oct 17th, 2016 at 12:59pm
Print Post  
Yes I hate to drill holes in old rifles unless it is unavoidable. The back of the sight block bears on the action and the screws hold it in place.
Cheers,
Laurie

Cheers,
Laurie
ASSRA Secretary & Archivist

IP Logged

LONG RANGE
Senior Forum Member

Reply #17 - Oct 17th, 2016 at 6:23pm
Print Post  
Marlene, I am attaching the pictures you asked for. I was mistaken in saying that it had two screws attaching the sight base when in fact it has only one. As you can see in the picture it has two pins and one screw. The mount is very solid. The nut you see on the mount screw is there to hold the screw when the sight is off the rifle.I wish the rifle had a straight stock for bench rest shooting instead of an offhand butt stock. The beast weighs over 14 LBS. The barrel's groove is 322 with a 1-16 twist. It was made 4-7-74 and is numbered 210. 

IP Logged

Goatwhiskers

Reply #18 - Oct 17th, 2016 at 7:37pm
Print Post  
I hate it when I do stupid things.  My Martini-Enfield originally was one converted for the NRA by W. W. Greener, so stamped on the side and sleeved to .22RF.  It now wears an Ackley barrel in 30/40AI.  Front sight was a PH which is now on my Cadet in .357Max.  The rear sight was like the second one in post #7, figured I'd never use it so sold it a few years ago.  Want to convert the gun back to irons, prolly never find another like it.  These ideas are very helpful.  GW

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the h*** happened.

IP Logged

Marlene
Senior Forum Member

Reply #19 - Oct 17th, 2016 at 10:37pm
Print Post  
Long Range, thanks so much for taking the time to photograph it for me. It's a beautifully made piece. Always nice to see such skilled and inventive work as Mr. Darr's.

I'm getting much more than I bargained for in this thread. Thanks to all!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint