Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) OPOINIONS OF THE MARTINI ACTION (Read 17146 times)
Charliek

OPOINIONS OF THE MARTINI ACTION
Oct 10th, 2016 at 9:01pm
Print Post  
I never see the martini action mentioned on posts.  Does anyone have experience with these?

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: OPOINIONS OF THE MARTINI ACTION
Reply #1 - Oct 10th, 2016 at 9:31pm
Print Post  
I haven't got an opoinion on anything- but I see Martini actions here a lot. Read some of the back posts and you will find them- with most owned by very happy shooters. I've never owned one, but have shot a couple that pleased me.

IP Logged

singleshotsam
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Oct 10th, 2016 at 10:26pm
Print Post  
Martini's are one of my favorites, from the International's through the Club Rifles and Cadet's. This is my whitetail rifle in 25-35. The Lyman is replaced with a Unertl Small Game 3X for hunting in the woods. A Cadet Martini is much like a military rolling block in that it has so much potential for customizing.

SSS

IP Logged

Joe_S
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Oct 10th, 2016 at 10:33pm
Print Post  
I have two BSA Internationals and as far as I am concerned, they are as good as any rifle on the line and better than most. Not sexy, but extremely accurate and reliable. Can be dressed up a bit but the through bolt in the buttstock limits your options somewhat. I found one with a half octagon half round barrel and a Schuetzen buttstock, photos attached. Just my two cents, FWIW
Joe S

IP Logged

Joe_S
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Oct 10th, 2016 at 10:35pm
Print Post  
Second photo

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Oct 10th, 2016 at 11:10pm
Print Post  
I like my RFs, but prefer others for CF because of cleaning and access for loading under a scope and breech seating.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

Bad_Ass_Wallace

Reply #6 - Oct 11th, 2016 at 4:14am
Print Post  
I have 43 in my vault including some original "range pattern" 303 Enfields!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

I bought this BSA 12/15 at a recent gunshow for $200 ans found it shoots quite well on a 10m air pistol target at 50 yards.

Hold still varmint; while I plugs yer!

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Oct 11th, 2016 at 10:36am
Print Post  
Biggi tells us this one dates from the late 1880s.  It can be cleaned from the breech.  There is a hole in the back of the action and a corresponding hole in the block.

I breech seat using an old dog-leg seater or just a plugged case.  Bullet is 311403.  Nominally 8.15 x 46R.  Very fussy about brass.

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Oct 11th, 2016 at 1:15pm
Print Post  
The take-down version of the 12/15 makes cleaning from the breech nice and easy without any extra hole or having to disturb the tang sight.

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Oct 11th, 2016 at 3:09pm
Print Post  
What's not to like?  It's solid, safe, simple and not too expensive - which is probably why it's considered a bit 'common'.  Best of all, locktime is lightning-fast.
A very good basis to build a rifle on - if the rfile inquestion isn't already a pretty good shooter...

IP Logged

Bad_Ass_Wallace

Reply #10 - Oct 11th, 2016 at 6:26pm
Print Post  
Besides an excellent choice for a target rifle, light weight hunting rifles like this 25/35 Win are possible.

Hold still varmint; while I plugs yer!

IP Logged

Zack T
Senior Forum Member

Reply #11 - Oct 11th, 2016 at 6:37pm
Print Post  
I have to add in a major DROOL for that martini and rolling block Curt. Fine looking guns. Bet you could even make a Hepburn pretty Wink

IP Logged

Baja_Traveler
Participating Member

Reply #12 - Oct 18th, 2016 at 10:24pm
Print Post  
Just picked up my first Martini - a 218 Bee (I jumped on it because I already have a Marlin lever in .218, so i'm setup for forming brass from 32-20). Love the thing - tack accurate and receiver drilled for breech cleaning. I'd love to find another dressed for schuetzen though...

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Oct 19th, 2016 at 2:53am
Print Post  
If you want to see yours truly shooting his Martini at 900 last sunday at the Trafalgar match, Bisley, check this movie on the NRA UK website:
Only found this yesterday, the shoot was on saturday.  This one is a Martini BP target rifle, chambered for no.2 Musket.

IP Logged

BudHyett
Senior Forum Member

Reply #14 - Oct 19th, 2016 at 4:24pm
Print Post  
The experience with the 12/15 and .22 LR International model has been very good. I have several and the ammo selection is key to their accuracy. Sometimes the cheap stuff shoots very well. I often take a Martini to the range to see that I am shooting well before shooting a centerfire rifle when testing loads. 

In the past, I have played with several Kangaroo rifles and gotten discouraged in the sense of the great amount of work to shape the extractor to another cartridge. I was younger, limited budget and sought to use what I had. 

As an experiment, we built a .38 Special to test cast bullets which worked well. The barrel was 18.5 inches, no taper, with a Weaver 10 power for fifty yard shooting. 

In another experiment, we built a .30-30 which shot very well. Again, getting the extractor to fit was the major challenge. We next set the barrel back to chamber a .30 Herrett that also shot well.

We then mounted the action in a one-piece stock and shot for accuracy. This was the most consistent shooting version. 

Winter projects in Illinois, this was the fun part of the rifle. However, today I am growing older and just want to shoot. For the person who likes to experiment and accepts the challenge, the centerfire versions can be fun.
« Last Edit: Oct 26th, 2016 at 12:37pm by BudHyett »  

Country boy from Illinois living in the magical Pacific Northwest
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint