Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) OPOINIONS OF THE MARTINI ACTION (Read 17141 times)
iomskp

Re: OPOINIONS OF THE MARTINI ACTION
Reply #15 - Oct 20th, 2016 at 4:15am
Print Post  
Here are two of my 12 bore rifles

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) ( 126 KB | 95 Downloads )

IP Logged

pronechamp
Participating Member

Reply #16 - Oct 21st, 2016 at 1:39pm
Print Post  
My experience with post war Martini rifles, especially MKII and MKIII is extensive.  IMO, they are superior to traditional Schuetzen rifles, as they should be with development so many decades later.

Have never before seen on with s Schuetzen stock as illustrated in this column.  Some of the older Cadets were modified with EJ barrels and even Pope, but more modern is almost unfair.

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Oct 23rd, 2016 at 11:30pm
Print Post  
the German/Swiss made wide use of the Martini action in various versions and adaptations for schuetzen as well as for hunting rifles.   In the 1920's & 30's as the older traditional Schuetzen matches were losing favor  they were used pretty much as the action of choice for the International Free Rifle high power competition in some pretty serious cartridges such as the 30-06 (Swiss Hammereli/Martini actions imported and rebarrelled in '06 for our US military teams when the found that the triggers and lock-times of their Springfields were not competitive) as well as hot target loads in the 7.5x55mm Swiss military cartridge.

While they are not as amenable to the American style of breech seating for Schuetzen matches the faster lock time of the striker action might balance that out for offhand shooters, assuming accurate loads and a well fitted offhand-style stock.      

Since as we are aging (and a collective group) and more shooters are concentration on the bench-rest portion of our matches the breech seating friendly "Classic american" single shot actions predominate.

In the rimfire matches (at least at EG), it appears to me that the lower entry price level of the various ex-British imported BSA-style Martinis has made them more popular, with new shooters in particular.  And with 22rf ammo the ammo selection may well outweigh the action type safari as accuracy goes.

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #18 - Oct 24th, 2016 at 9:50am
Print Post  
They make great .22 rimfire guns. They can be good centerfire rifles. Almost all have the uglest finger levers I have ever seen.

40 Rod

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Oct 24th, 2016 at 7:22pm
Print Post  
Referring to the BSA types I assume John?  if so, I agree.  however form follows function (and profits) and the BSA Martinis were all about function--accurate shooting.  For elegance in Brit rifles you have to look at the be-spoke custom arms.   The German/Swiss-martinis can be elegant and ornate or functional

IP Logged

Northtidesix
Participating Member

Reply #20 - Nov 14th, 2016 at 2:42pm
Print Post  
I have eleven of the Martini Henry and Cadets in calibers ranging from .17/221 Fireball to .50/70 Government.  I made them all from accumulated parts.  They are great little rifles.  A lady friend of mine describes the Cadets as "Elegant".  That pretty much says it for the little rifles.

IP Logged

Aussie_Hunter

Reply #21 - Dec 5th, 2016 at 3:58pm
Print Post  
I just picked up three original Cadets with what look to be unfired condition barrels, one of them is a rare CMF Tasmania issue with a serial no in the 2600 range. Need to drop the actions out to look at breech faces to see what evidence of useage. Have been using these lovely little rifles since buyung my first one in 1958 for the equivilant of A$5.oo. Apart from needing hob-nailed boots to jump on original trigger  set up they are easy and nice to use. Do yourself a favour and get one (orr more) good shooting.

IP Logged

GeorgeC
Oldtimer

ASSRA 11411

Reply #22 - Dec 5th, 2016 at 4:49pm
Print Post  
I never had much interest with Martini's (unless it was extra dry and made with Tanqueray).  Seriously, BSA Martinis got my attention recently and I have been reading everything I can find bout them, especially the BSA .22 RF.  I've yet to find an unhappy camper who owned one. I'm getting turned on to them.  They do have a look that just kind of grows on you. 
SSS, that is a beauty you have, especially the wood. Did you do the work?   
I surmise the MK II's are from the 50's, but to those of you who are avid shooters and collectors, are these rifles worth the asking/selling price if the barrel has to be relined or replaced for a target shooting?

Never mind the mule. Just load the wagon.
IP Logged

jhm
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - Dec 5th, 2016 at 5:37pm
Print Post  
Aussie Hunter,
I am sure I am ignorant of Australian gun laws so please educate me. What are the laws governing gun ownership(in a nutshell please). You stated you had many in your "vault". I guess in the states we call them gun safes. By the way my neighbors wife is from Sydney and you could not find a nicer person to be around. Thanks

JMH

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - Dec 6th, 2016 at 6:58am
Print Post  
Looks like we drowned the OP with our responses Grin Grin Grin      

IP Logged

GeorgeC
Oldtimer

ASSRA 11411

Reply #25 - Dec 6th, 2016 at 8:59am
Print Post  
40_Rod wrote on Oct 24th, 2016 at 9:50am:
They make great .22 rimfire guns. They can be good centerfire rifles. Almost all have the uglest finger levers I have ever seen.

40 Rod

I agree with you. That's the one thing that turns me off about the looks.  Come to think of it, I've never seen another type of lever on a Martini. But, if you change the lever then you would need to change the butt stock or fill in the lever grove and that would look ugly.   
Guess we can blame Al Freeland for not improving the lever, since he worked so close with BSA in developing the International rifles. A very minor fault at most.

IP Logged

GeorgeC
Oldtimer

ASSRA 11411

Reply #26 - Dec 6th, 2016 at 9:05am
Print Post  
I'm surprised no one has posted this link for the OP.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

There is a wealth of information on the BSA and other target rifles of the time.

George C

IP Logged

ledball
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #27 - Dec 6th, 2016 at 1:00pm
Print Post  
The lever on the BSA INT is truly ugly but, have you ever looked at the lever on a De haas  Miller. Ledball

IP Logged

GeorgeC
Oldtimer

ASSRA 11411

Reply #28 - Dec 6th, 2016 at 1:20pm
Print Post  
ledball wrote on Dec 6th, 2016 at 1:00pm:
The lever on the BSA INT is truly ugly but, have you ever looked at the lever on a De haas  Miller. Ledball

Never have.  Am I in for a treat?  I'll do a search.   

George

IP Logged

cmjr

Reply #29 - Dec 7th, 2016 at 3:33pm
Print Post  
Martini's, love them in all their variants. My favorites are the customs built on the Cadet actions. Here's a 219 Donaldson Wasp I just put in the classifieds here. 

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint