Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Ruger No. 1? (Read 11290 times)
watchthewind
Oldtimer

Ruger No. 1?
Sep 21st, 2016 at 1:39am
Print Post  
Hello Folks,
I'm still pretty new to Schuetzen. I was curious to know if Ruger ever produced a No. 1 in a Schuetzen configuration/chambering?
On another note, Ruger has a suggest a product to the CEO on their website. 
I mentioned that a No. 1 chambered in 22 LR with a heavy barrel and wide forearm might go over well. To me it seems as if the rimfire benchrest discipline is getting more popular. It would be interesting to see what could happen if more people brought this to the attention of the CEO.
Take Care,
Scott

ASSRA Member # 11408

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Ruger No. 1?
Reply #1 - Sep 21st, 2016 at 6:38am
Print Post  
Lipsey's, who is, to the best of my understanding, "the" distributor for the No.1, might also be a good place to try. I recently had a problem with a new No.1 and they were very responsive. Up to the point of one of their VPs calling (more than once) to keep me appraised of the progress on fixing things for me. Believe it was Jason Cloessner, VP of Product Development, who you can contact thru the Lipsey website, that I dealt with. If Lipsey's thinks there is a market for a .22LR No.1 then Ruger will make it. If a dozen of us tell the Ruger CEO, not sure we'll be heard amongst the noise from bigger issues.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Sep 21st, 2016 at 7:00am
Print Post  
Did Ruger ever produce a No. 1 Schuetzen rifle? That brings to mind a favorite story.

It was in 1973, I think; anyway, the NRA annual show was in Louisville.  About 6 of us single-shot nuts from Indiana with John Amber on tow (a long story in itself) had managed to corral a presumed sales rep in the Ruger booth just to ask him (and very politely, too) whether Ruger had any plans or even interest in producing a No. 1 along traditional Schuetzen lines.  The Ruger man, with a smile that didn't quite reach his eyes, patronizingly hemmed and hawed and finally asserted that, no, there were no such plans; indeed, no one at Ruger even knew what such a rifle would look like.  Thereupon one of our group who in addition to muzzle-loaders built superb and fully functional miniature guns, reached inside his sport coat and brought out a 1/3-scale Ruger No. 1, made up as an 1870s-style long range rifle - sights, Rigby barrel, and all - and sweetly stated, "It might look like this, only bigger!".  Our antagonist's jaw dropped, Amber guffawed, and our group moved on.

Today I would give a whole lot just to know what happened to that little rifle!

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #3 - Sep 21st, 2016 at 8:57am
Print Post  
When the ASSRA was buying the range we got Bill Ruger to make up 100 ASSRA actions with the special serial numbers 1 to 100. They were offered to members to raise money and as an added bonus you could get the action number the same as your life membership number. 
Fast forward to the late 90s Gary Staup contacted Ruger about buying another 100 actions for us to sell. Ruger told us they would never sell just an action. We informed them they already had and they were horrified. They said they couldn’t possibly do it again. We countered with a proposal to buy 50 in 32-40 and 50 in 38-55. They told us they didn’t have the tooling to make those old calibers and the project died.

40 Rod

IP Logged

watchthewind
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Sep 21st, 2016 at 9:26am
Print Post  
Thanks for the replies and history lessons Smiley
I'll contact Jason at Lipsey's and go from there. The rimfire game is such a good tool to introduce folks to what we do. There are folks producing single shot 22 rifles, but they are either Squirrel guns or at a price a beginner cannot fathom.
Scott

ASSRA Member # 11408

IP Logged

jy3855
Senior Forum Member

Reply #5 - Sep 21st, 2016 at 9:34am
Print Post  
My understanding is that Ruger made some No. 1s in 38-55 in the 90s.  I kick myself for being "good" and not bidding on a factory No. 1 26" barrelled 38-55 on GB that went for $1450ish while I was driving to Sacramento to pick up a Marlin 1893 action.

IP Logged

watchthewind
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - Sep 21st, 2016 at 3:55pm
Print Post  
Thanks for referring me to Jason Cloessner, we had a productive and enlightening conversation  Wink
Scott

ASSRA Member # 11408

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Sep 26th, 2016 at 9:17pm
Print Post  
Scott - Care to pass along any of your enlightenment? Is there a .22LR No.1 on the horizon?

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

watchthewind
Oldtimer

Reply #8 - Sep 26th, 2016 at 11:03pm
Print Post  
It hasn't been ruled out and there has been some discussion about it.  There is a lot of things at play here. Such as political climate, 2017 is the 50th anniversary of the Number 1, etc....
I am hopeful there will be a No. 1 chambered in 22 LR. In my opinion I'd like to see a Varmint Model in 22 LR. It would make our rimfire benchrest event more accessible to folks. It would fill a void that is not met. There is currently a light weight 22 single shot available from Winchester and Uberti, but nothing sand bag friendly.
Fingers are crossed Smiley
Scott

ASSRA Member # 11408

IP Logged

gewehrfreund
Senior Forum Member

Reply #9 - Sep 27th, 2016 at 9:04am
Print Post  
Don't hold your breath for a No.1 in 22rf, nor in a schuetzen configuration either, I'd wager.

For those who haven't heard, the 50th anniversary commemorative No. 1 is a 1S with upgraded wood and metal finish in 270 Win., Bill Ruger's favorite/personal rifle. One hundred are scheduled to be made.

All the misfit toys can now go back to dreaming about next year . . . . Tongue

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Sep 27th, 2016 at 9:32am
Print Post  
Just sent Jason Cloessner an e-mail expressing my interest in either a .22LR No.1 in a varmint configuration or a completed action. Perhaps if others will do the same he will pursue.

GTalk  
IP Logged

watchthewind
Oldtimer

Reply #11 - Sep 27th, 2016 at 9:50am
Print Post  
SSShooter wrote on Sep 27th, 2016 at 9:32am:
Just sent Jason Cloessner an e-mail expressing my interest in either a .22LR No.1 in a varmint configuration or a completed action. Perhaps if others will do the same he will pursue.

Squeaky wheels get grease  Smiley

ASSRA Member # 11408

IP Logged

oldman46
Senior Forum Member

Reply #12 - Sep 28th, 2016 at 12:19am
Print Post  
I once wrote to Ruger about making a schutzen rifle in 32-40. Basically they said that it would only appeal to a limited market and would not be profitable for them.So that one got shot down in flames.Frank

IP Logged

RoyB
Oldtimer

Reply #13 - Sep 28th, 2016 at 8:34am
Print Post  
Kittery Trading Post up in Maine has a Ruger #1 in 32-20 on their used gun web site...$1200

If it is still there once I get back from a two week trip, I just might drive up and rescue it....Unless someone here buys it first....PLEASE..Someone buy it!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
IP Logged

cheatin_charlie
Senior Forum Member

Reply #14 - Sep 28th, 2016 at 2:15pm
Print Post  
They also have this one for sale.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint