Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Borchardt Build Help (Read 9131 times)
Dales
Senior Forum Member

Borchardt Build Help
Sep 6th, 2016 at 9:15pm
Print Post  
UPS delivered my new to me Borchardt today. Looks like a sporting model that was varmintized . Barrel is stamped CC Johnson . was a R-2 but is now a 225 Winchester . Has a nice sporting stock but I want to turn it into a Zischang copy. CPA lists Zischang stocke and plates so I should be covered there .
What I need help with is the trigger. Does anyone have a picture or drawing of a Zischang double set triggers ?

Thanks for any help.

Dales

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Re: Borchardt Build Help
Reply #1 - Sep 7th, 2016 at 8:54am
Print Post  
Frank Zika did an article on the Zischang triggers with at least one drawing. I'd get ahold of Laurie Gapko at the archives he should be able to make a copy of the article for a reasonable price.

40 Rod

IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Sep 7th, 2016 at 9:23am
Print Post  
Here you go! Along with the drawing 40 Rod mentions and the pic, it may be possible.

IP Logged

FITZ
Oldtimer

REGARDS

Reply #3 - Sep 7th, 2016 at 7:49pm
Print Post  
Yea! I have that same picture, beautiful. I believe that was posted by Mike Petrov up in Alaska Before he Passed. Regards, FITZ.  Smiley

FITZ

IP Logged

Joe Do...
Oldtimer
ASSRA Board Member
ASSRA Journal Editor

Reply #4 - Sep 8th, 2016 at 7:49am
Print Post  
That photo comes from Michael Petrov's library.  The double-set triggers were made by John Wills, Anchorage, AK.  Unfortunately John passed away in early 2013.

John didn't make many of those trigger sets.  Michael owned two sets and only one set was found when he passed away in early 2014.

If anyone cares, I can post John's original sketch drawings with dimensions later.

... Joe

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Sep 8th, 2016 at 10:58am
Print Post  
Joe Do... wrote on Sep 8th, 2016 at 7:49am:

John didn't make many of those trigger sets.  Michael owned two sets and only one set was found when he passed away in early 2014.

If anyone cares, I can post John's original sketch drawings with dimensions later.

... Joe

Yes, I would like to see the drawings.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Dales
Senior Forum Member

Reply #6 - Sep 8th, 2016 at 2:10pm
Print Post  
Yes Joe I would like to see the drawings,
Dales

IP Logged

Joe Do...
Oldtimer
ASSRA Board Member
ASSRA Journal Editor

Reply #7 - Sep 8th, 2016 at 9:44pm
Print Post  
... et voila !

IP Logged

shovel80
Oldtimer

Reply #8 - Sep 8th, 2016 at 11:14pm
Print Post  
That's a Really Nice Set of triggers! And a Great Print!!

Terry

ASSRA Member # 11021
IP Logged

Dales
Senior Forum Member

Reply #9 - Sep 9th, 2016 at 8:27am
Print Post  
Thanks Joe that's a great start.

Dales

IP Logged

FITZ
Oldtimer

REGARDS

Reply #10 - Sep 9th, 2016 at 8:16pm
Print Post  
Dales, I also came into a Borchardt by C.C. Johnson back about 1970. It also was in 22-3000 2R Lovell. Never fired it. I was mostly interested in the Action. looking it over closely I realized that at the Muzzle you could see Rifling around the Liner. Got to wondering, so disassembled it and put the Barrel on our kitchen stove across the burners. When I saw solder weeping out of the Liner joint on both ends I took it down cellar and drove the Liner out and wiped it clean. Looked through and it was smooth? Looked at the Muzzle and their was still another liner. Re heated it and drove that one out. Wiped the bore and found original .45X 2.1 Sharps Barrel with nearly a perfect bore. The Chamber had been reamed out large to create a Head on the liner. So had a local Gunsmith sleeve it and re chamber it in 45-70. We ended up though with about 7/8" free bore from the chamber end to the Rifling. Took awhile to get it going but it became one of my favorite Rifles and I ended up shooting it very well with a 500 gr bullet and 28 Grs 4759. Kicked a lot but I was young and strong and absorbed the punishment very well for many years. I could tell you more as there were a few glitches in the process but enough for now. HTH regards, FITZ. Smiley

FITZ

IP Logged

harry_eales
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Sep 24th, 2016 at 10:19am
Print Post  
Dales,
I don't want to rain on your parade but there is only one way you will get the dimensions of  Zischang DST's for a Borchardt action and that is to find someone who has an original rifle with the DST's fitted and borrow them and do the drawings yourself.  That's what John Wills did to make those DST's in the above pictures. I have been trying for 12 years to get a set of drawings but those I have by Frank Zika and another sheet allegedly copied from an original set by the Moeller Tool & Die Co are both so poorly detailed as to parts shape and dimensions that making a working set of DST's is impossible and I am speaking as a fully trained lathe and milling machine operator. There simply isn't enough dimensions from which the missing measurements can be calculated.

I understand that Laurie Gapko the ASSRA Archivist has these Borchardt Action Drawings by the above named Co., and you could ask if the DST drawings are included. No harm to try. A full set of drawings costs $10.00 in A4 size, these can be enlarge beautifully to A3 or A2 by your local photocopy shop.

Over the years I communicated with both Michael Petrov and John Wills on Borchardt's and John kindly furnished me with drawings of his own making of the Zischang custom Safety for his DST's and also how to make a Long Range vernier sight for the Borchardt which requires special tooling to be made by the person making them. Shortly before he passed I sent him my usual monthly Email chatting about this and that and I asked him if he had a set of Borchardt DST drawings. He replied he had, but wasn't doing anything in his workshop at present as he wasn't feeling well, however as soon as he was better he would scan the pages and Email them to me. Three days later I read of his passing. Joe Do., helped his widow in the disposal of the firearms side of Johns estate and I Emailed him over a year after Johns passing to ask if he had come across the DST drawings. He sent me the drawing posted above, stating that was all he had come across. What happened to the fully dimensioned originals is anyone's guess. So no complete drawings seem to be available unfortunately. If I was you I'd give up on making them yourself. But you don't have to take my advice. Wink

Harry.
« Last Edit: Sep 24th, 2016 at 10:26am by »  

IP Logged

rodneys
Oldtimer

Reply #12 - Oct 20th, 2016 at 9:05am
Print Post  
Here are the drawings that Frank Zika gave me. I have water jet cut some blanks sets if any one is interested.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) ( 21 KB | 129 Downloads )
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) ( 224 KB | 101 Downloads )
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) ( 26 KB | 95 Downloads )

IP Logged

Flatlander
Oldtimer

Reply #13 - Oct 20th, 2016 at 9:53am
Print Post  
Rodney:

I am interested in a set of your trigger blanks. Please PM me with details.

Flatlander

NRA Life
ASSRA Member 3197
Charcoal Burner

IP Logged

FITZ
Oldtimer

REGARDS

Reply #14 - Oct 20th, 2016 at 7:18pm
Print Post  
Rodney, I also would be interested in a set of Water Jet parts.
Please PM me also regards, FITZ. Smiley

FITZ

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint